Interesting scrum binds

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Biggest issue is the blue prop boring in, yes? Not straight.

Outside the tight 5 I guess they all appear to be “[bound] on a lock’s body with at least one arm” as per 19.7(d).

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Blue "LH" Lock is inding on 1 and 2 not his co lock.

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Would be interesting to see this in the context of how they got here and what happens next. Is it starting to march sideways or about to collapse, etc.

Would also determine whether the interesting “bind” on Y7 is either hanging on to a scrum, or swinging out to put pressure on the B7.

@Marc Wakeham - Excuse the ignorance, which match/teams was this?

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Leinster in blue, La Rochelle in yellow. EPRC final.

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Biggest issue is the blue prop boring in, yes? Not straight.

Outside the tight 5 I guess they all appear to be “[bound] on a lock’s body with at least one arm” as per 19.7(d).
He’s assisted in boring in by the fact that the two locks are not bound. 19.7c states that they should be bound together.

as it happens, I believe this scrum resulted in a penalty and 3 points to Leinster.

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Just one of the many bizarre decisions from yesterday's game. At one point I was screaming at the tv and found my self in agreement with Austin Healey :cautious:

How can a referee officiate a game with so much obvious dangerous foul play and be at best ambivalent at worst completely unaware?

I feel the red card was only by chance that they had no choice but to review as the payer was being stretchered off. If he had got up then I expect nothing. Similar really to his missing James Ryan hitting Ludlam when he was trapped in the ruck during the Ire v Eng game.

The referees and the Unions should address this as teams that are consistently playing dangerously are the ones that are threatening each others welfare and livelihood. Bizarre really when there are groups of former players seeking compensation yet they do not show any duty of care for each other.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
He’s assisted in boring in by the fact that the two locks are not bound. 19.7c states that they should be bound together.

as it happens, I believe this scrum resulted in a penalty and 3 points to Leinster.
Spot on. THe evidence, for once is in the still. THe binds are quite deliberately illegal. Your arm as a lock does not accidentally move from your partner locks body and find itself betweek the hooker's legs.

This is coached cheating. It really is not dificult to spot. The referee should be having an uncomfortable review.

Marc Wakeham

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Would be interesting to see this in the context of how they got here and what happens next. Is it starting to march sideways or about to collapse, etc.

Would also determine whether the interesting “bind” on Y7 is either hanging on to a scrum, or swinging out to put pressure on the B7.

@Marc Wakeham - Excuse the ignorance, which match/teams was this?
Take the whole bind in context. Why have blue's lock not bound legally what are Blue LH side prop lock and flanker doing Look at blues front row in general.

There is only one way that scrum is gong.

I deliberately did not mention the teams so the evidence is assessed without predjudice,

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
really, we need video to assess it properly (perhaps the whistle has already gone?)

but the thrust of the thread is correct - there were some strange scrums in that game.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
That deosnt look ike blue 1 boring in. That looks like blue 1 having been stuffed and lost his 4rse, chiefly probably becasue his lock has lost connection/never had connection with his fellow lock and the whole blue pack has split.
So PKs against blue, but TBH Im a bit bored of scrums being penalty fests. yellow have a very dominant scrum so just let them have that huge (literal) advantage and get on with the game. I don't expect to find any agreement :D

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Your arm as a lock does not accidentally move from your partner locks body and find itself betweek the hooker's legs.
... It really is not dificult to spot.
This. How does the call even get to "set" without a check to see where 2nd rows binds are ie across each other's back.?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
but TBH Im a bit bored of scrums being penalty fests. yellow have a very dominant scrum so just let them have that huge (literal) advantage and get on with the game. I don't expect to find any agreement :D
This is how we are encouraged to approach it at grass roots, like l9 and below roughly

Then as we go up, more PK

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Take the whole bind in context. Why have blue's lock not bound legally what are Blue LH side prop lock and flanker doing Look at blues front row in general.

There is only one way that scrum is gong.

I deliberately did not mention the teams so the evidence is assessed without predjudice,
but since we're now on the Champions cup final, the first try was quite interesting one. Very sneaky training ground trick play pulled in the first minute. I expect more to try it in the future, but could be caught as you'll see both blue props pushed the grey area on impedeing defenders to get the break and the gap for try scorer. (but if you can get away with it, well done!)

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Post score contact with the head, PK restart on half-way missed?

shebeen

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Post score contact with the head, PK restart on half-way missed?

I don't think many would see it that way.
but if one wants to play that game, then clear contact on the head here for LaR first try could also be pinged. Head on head, so the card could either be the try scorer's jersey of blue 7's scrumcap whilst you're at it. Four cards in a final is more than enough already!
1684750914672.png

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I was being somewhat "stirring".

BUT ... if that action happened on half way would we really expect that (at this level) to be ignored every time?

1684793297919.png

Last edited:

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11

Yeah, I was somewhat shocked at the time that yellow were penalised for this scrum!

but since we're now on the Champions cup final, the first try was quite interesting one. Very sneaky training ground trick play pulled in the first minute. I expect more to try it in the future, but could be caught as you'll see both blue props pushed the grey area on impedeing defenders to get the break and the gap for try scorer. (but if you can get away with it, well done!)

Just to get technical for a minute, the player that took the ball moved out of the lineout just before the ball was thrown, but returned to the lineout, which is permitted as per Law 18.17.a... correct?

I was wondering if this might have been easily executed with the scrum half running into that gap and receiving the ball... can I check, is the scrum half allowed to join the lineout (I think it's OK provided the ball has been thrown, but want to confirm)?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I was wondering if this might have been easily executed with the scrum half running into that gap and receiving the ball... can I check, is the scrum half allowed to join the lineout (I think it's OK provided the ball has been thrown, but want to confirm)?
and "the scrum half" is actually just "the receiver"... which could be #6. =#9 coild stand somewhere in the lineout "line" if his presence is required to draw the extra forward defender (typically) into that area ie not 10 m back ...

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Blue "LH" Lock is inding on 1 and 2 not his co lock.
At 3.55 in the Highlights video, Blue LH Lock slips his original correct bind. Would have been really hard to have spotted in real time from ground level.