Interesting Tap Tactics

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Crossref, I think we end up at the same place through different paths.

You get compliance by taking away the penalty and giving the ops a scrum.

I'll get the same compliance by not accepting an incorrect kick, or from the wrong place. I'm not prepared to go from a penalty for foul play to a scrum for the foul play perpetrators because of a minor technical offence that is rarely called by other refs.

I do think my approach is colored by refereeing very inexperienced players at HS or younger.

you may think it is a minor technical offence not worth calling..... but the Law says otherwise.
and again - I really *don't* think that the players are unaware of how to take a quick tap -- the only reason they don't do it properly is that they know many referees will let them get away with it, and the worst thing that can happen is that they get to take it again.

One thing we do have in common is that we give them a warning before penalising, but my warning is in the PMB - I tell them I want them to take tap kicks properly. They never ask me what 'properly' means (they know already) and during the game they take them properly

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This is my last post on this thread. Can't disagree with that statement.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
you may think it is a minor technical offence not worth calling..... but the Law says otherwise.
and again - I really *don't* think that the players are unaware of how to take a quick tap -- the only reason they don't do it properly is that they know many referees will let them get away with it, and the worst thing that can happen is that they get to take it again.

One thing we do have in common is that we give them a warning before penalising, but my warning is in the PMB - I tell them I want them to take tap kicks properly. They never ask me what 'properly' means (they know already) and during the game they take them properly

I agree.
Although i only remind up to u12 in PMB, beyond that I don't bother its a standard skill, any player (usually forwards , rarely 9s ) who goofs it is usually immediately bollocked by 13\14 others , which says it all.

Doesn't cause me any issues, I don't subscribe to the view that a PMB has to include virtually every law possibility, some things are and should remain 'early learnings'