Level 15 - 11
Hi Robbie

Link seems to be broken...

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
so exactly why isn't it on the iRB website??? as a relatively new ref (since late 2009) - I've only had the luxury of being told through chinese whispers what the 2007 directive says..as it's not as if someone has handed me a folder of all the secret directives I should be aware of and TBH the 'drop' was the YC and the twist and/or drive is the RC. It is little wonder why many refs may not always see/get the directives and therefore make incorrect rulings.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
so exactly why isn't it on the iRB website??? as a relatively new ref (since late 2009) - I've only had the luxury of being told through chinese whispers what the 2007 directive says..as it's not as if someone has handed me a folder of all the secret directives I should be aware of and TBH the 'drop' was the YC and the twist and/or drive is the RC. It is little wonder why many refs may not always see/get the directives and therefore make incorrect rulings.

Here is your own personal copy menace

View attachment Spear Tackle Memorandum.pdf

It probably does not appear on the IRB website because it is a document for distribution to Member Unions.

However, what is on the website is a number of Judicial Decisions that refer to the memorandum;

http://www.irb.com/mm/document/tour.../111003jodecisionfabriceestebanez(france).pdf
- page 5 para 23

http://www.irb.com/mm/document/tour.../111003jodecisionsukanaialuhufanga(tonga).pdf
- page 7 para 28

http://www.irb.com/mm/document/tour...ecision-dominikowaqaniburotu(fiji)10.4(j).pdf
- page 6 para 27

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Thanks for that Ian...but with all due respect I don't have time to trawl through boring judgements to find 'what a ref should do when because a secret directive that can't be found says so'..I simply don't have time nor the inclination (ps -i work for a court system and quite frankly have read more judgments than i care to remember...and the legal mumbo jumbo they use just leads to a headache and increased confusion... so excuse me for not hunting down judgments to read).. but i will look for directives and clarrifications to stay up to date etc

if iRB seriously want refs to be consistent in application of laws by use of directives then surely they must take responsibility to have it easily available (like their clarrifications)...not through some hope of knowledge transfer through osmosis via an email or 2 to union members.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Isn't it on your union website Menace?

It was sent to all unions, so is their responsibility to pass it to you.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
possibly Rob - but unfortunately the website is cr@p and is terribly difficult to find anything in it that 'required reading' and i'm afraid to say it's not as upto date as it should be too...and as i mentioned in earlier post i only started reffing in late 2009 - so can understand why they would not have send me the 2007 or 2009 directive..as I didn't exist in their database at that time.

I would have thought going to the horses mouth is always a good apporach - perhaps i expect too much from a big organisation called the iRB?

ADD: this from my union website "LAW RULINGS AND MORE

Refer to the IRB website on Laws of the game, Regulations, Rulings and Equipment Approval
"
LOL

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Menace,

Maybe point to your webmaster/president that I am happy to host Association websites for free, and help them maintain them. PM me if you want more info.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
were you talking union website - or referee association website? (BTW - it's on neither for ACT). the problem is not so much the website itself - but the fact that volunteers need to update the content...regardless of whose hosting that is the bigger problem when they are not paid. my point is iRB have paid people to maintain their website content and it's not there - why should underling and unpaid ref unions do the controlling body's job?