IRB/Prem/Euro Referee Jerseys for auction

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Just looking to gauge interest...

Would people be prepared to bid (all for a cancer charity) for three referee jerseys from this year's:

* RBS Six Nations
* Heineken Cup
* Aviva Premiership

All three would come as one package - highest bid wins and all money would go to a cancer charity .

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Just looking to gauge interest... Would people be prepared to bid (all for a cancer charity) for three referee jerseys from this year's:
Yes.

... All three would come as one package - highest bid wins and all money would go to a cancer charity .
Personally, I would auction them separately. That way, you would maximise the amount for charity.

Last edited:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
TaffAgreed - separate would probably get a greater total.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Depends if they are my size or not :wink:
I am not one for putting them on the wall.

Agree on the seperate thing.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
signed and/or documented who wore them?

Reindeer Flotilla

Referees in America
Post Likes
Yes. And I'd pay at least 50 cents for a Midwest ref jersey worn and signed by ddjamo.

:pepper:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Wert

One of our Society's members donated some of his Heineken and Premiership jerseys to an auction a couple of years ago and got £50 each for them. This was a Hampshire Club raising funds to send a terminally ill member away on a final family holiday. Auction for dozens of donated items was live on the day at club, and also had phone and advance email & special dedictaed auction site bids.

Organisers on reflection thougth they would have got more for some items on Ebay.

I will bid for the shirts whatever way you decide to do it.

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
I can get photos of the officials concerned wearing the jerseys, but as for signing them... not convinced that will add any value?

I could, however, get them signed if the winning bidder wanted me to (for an extra few tuppence!).

So, would eBay be the best course of action do you think?

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
ddjamo....stop eating the crayons!
.........and don't put them up your nose!
He's from Michigan, not Mississippi. They are edumacated up there.

I can get photos of the officials concerned wearing the jerseys, but as for signing them... not convinced that will add any value?

I could, however, get them signed if the winning bidder wanted me to (for an extra few tuppence!).

So, would eBay be the best course of action do you think?

eBay would work but it's all about legitimacy. I would:

i. Get a signed letter from the official(s) stating that these were the jerseys they wore for X match(es). I would also have them signed (it will likely ADD value)
ii. Sell the jerseys grouped by referee (e.g. All of Tony's jerseys at RWC 2007, or Wayne's ERC jerseys from 2012, etc, or whoever you get them from in Zummerzet).

Toby Warren

Referees in England
Post Likes
Those who would buy these what would you do with them? Ref in them leisure use what?

(or is it the donation to the good cause that attracts you)

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Those who would buy these what would you do with them? Ref in them leisure use what?
Frame it and stick it on the wall in front of the treadmill. That's the "target" ..... but realistically given my age and ability, that's the closest I would ever get to one. :redface: Would I ref in one? No hope in hell. It was drummed into me from school that "If you didn't earn it - you don't wear it" regardless of whether it's a medal, cap or a jersey.

... or is it the donation to the good cause that attracts you?
Personally, no. But the chosen charity may help me bid a bit more than I would otherwise. Having just lost an aunt to lung cancer, and likely to lose a close mate to liver cancer in the next few months, it's a bloody good cause.

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8

(or is it the donation to the good cause that attracts you)

Leisure wear for me. I could wear them over my onesy! :wow:

Reindeer Flotilla

Referees in America
Post Likes
Wert, a certificate of authenticity along with a photo of the jersey being worn would be useful.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd use them as a motivation to lose more weight so they'd fit me.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If it was signed I would frame it. If not I would use it as leisure/gym wear. Either way I will place a few bids!

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
That's great to know folks - much appreciated. I guess i wanted to keep the auction within the refereeing fraternity and probably won't eBay them, rather auction them on here and on my Twitter feed.

So - yes, or no. Photos of referees wearing them, or not?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
the most important thing is a COA - Certificate of Authenticity.

So you need the referee to confirm it is his shirt -- why not have that written on the back of a photo of him wearing it.