[6N] IRE - FRA YC when playing advantage?

Zebra1922

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Towards the end of the first half the referee gave a warning to the French captain about offences around the maul and ruck near the French line, saying he would have to YC the next offence. Cue another maul and another French side entry - advantage Ireland. Now if the referee had blown for the penalty he would have YC'd a French player. In this instance, the Irish took the advantage and Sexton scored a try.

Should the referee now also YC the offending French player?

In football referees will frequently go back an YC when they have played advantage (although it rarely happens if a goal has been scored from the advantage but that might be due to football having less scores than rugby).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have , on occasion , played advantage, awarded a try, and then gone back and YC the player anyway .

(on other occasions not )

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Hmmm, it's a very interesting point you raise here.

We often see this happening in the situation whereby the ref awards the Penalty Try, but when the try is scored in open play we more than often see no card.

To be honest, I wasn't thinking yellow should have come since there was no material effect of the last French infringement, Ireland went on to score the try almost under the posts.

nhughes

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think the French tight head should have gotten a yellow for repeated infringementd close to goal and yes the ref should gave done it after the try, bit of a cop out by the ref, odd situation where conceding a try worked to France's advantage.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I have , on occasion , played advantage, awarded a try, and then gone back and YC the player anyway .

(on other occasions not )

As have I.

Interesting that it was once queried by an assessor. I explained that - as in the OP - had their been no Advantage taken then we'd have come back for the original offence and a :noyc:, so why I should the offending team not have to suffer the consequences for 10 minutes? His answer was to just say "Well, it is the first time that I have seen it happen"

I only started considering it having seen Roy Maybank do it at a Premiership match with the words "You know what you did."

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Towards the end of the first half the referee gave a warning to the French captain about offences around the maul and ruck near the French line, saying he would have to YC the next offence. Cue another maul and another French side entry - advantage Ireland. Now if the referee had blown for the penalty he would have YC'd a French player. In this instance, the Irish took the advantage and Sexton scored a try.

Should the referee now also YC the offending French player?

I recall thinking exactly that at the time.

didds