Ireland v New Zealand: The Return of the Huddle (in 3D)

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Great game of rugby and well done to NZ.

What happened to "no huddle or I'll FK you"? [Edit: referring to the huddles before every lineout.]

Did Barnes go to sleep on it or do they just not care any more?

Last edited:

Locke

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
I think she means at the lineout

belladonna

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
... and in FRA v SA this evening BoK was pretty clear "no meeting" before lineouts. Seems like WB either forgot or didn't want to implement it? Seems strange either way...

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
There seems to be some variation between refs on several aspects we've seen in other games... I also noticed in the FRA v SA game at a PK (or FK) close to the FRA line, the first SA pod over the ball then shuffled off to the side and another player came in and tapped the ball... in previous games this has not been allowed (I think Fiji/Tonga/Samoa have been stopped over this tactic. Also, not pointing the finger at SA doing it, rather the inconsistency between refs.)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
There seems to be some variation between refs on several aspects we've seen in other games... I also noticed in the FRA v SA game at a PK (or FK) close to the FRA line, the first SA pod over the ball then shuffled off to the side and another player came in and tapped the ball... in previous games this has not been allowed (I think Fiji/Tonga/Samoa have been stopped over this tactic. Also, not pointing the finger at SA doing it, rather the inconsistency between refs.)
SA had all sorts of innovative plays yesterday

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I wonder why this tactic was prevented? Seems quite legal to me ... nobody in front of ball, no obstruction, etc

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I wonder why this tactic was prevented? Seems quite legal to me ... nobody in front of ball, no obstruction, etc
indeed - to the extent that the ball isnt even live until tapped anyway of course

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I got the impression from comments earlier in the tournament that is was a combination of wasting time (law 20.5), attempting to make an opponent believe the ball is live when it is not (no direct law regarding a FK/PK) which might be considered against the spirit of good sportsmanship (law 9.27) 🤷‍♂️

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I got the impression from comments earlier in the tournament that is was a combination of wasting time (law 20.5), attempting to make an opponent believe the ball is live when it is not (no direct law regarding a FK/PK) which might be considered against the spirit of good sportsmanship (law 9.27) 🤷‍♂️
I wish 9.27 wasn't there as it's so subjective.
I think rugby has a long , long tradition of tricksy PK moves and SA's little shuffle was absolutely in the spirit of rugby and good sportsmanship .

Tricksy unexpected deceptive plays are exactly how smaller, cleverer teams beat bigger stronger ones. I love them

SA's innovative plays that day might have been the little edge that enabled them to win

Stu10

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I wish 9.27 wasn't there as it's so subjective.
I think rugby has a long , long tradition of tricksy PK moves and SA's little shuffle was absolutely in the spirit of rugby and good sportsmanship .

Tricksy unexpected deceptive plays are exactly how smaller, cleverer teams beat bigger stronger ones. I love them

SA's innovative plays that day might have been the little edge that enabled them to win
I'm inclined to agree, but I wouldn't penalise a defence for coming forward if the attacking team pretended to tap the ball and actually did not (full reset would be appropriate).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm inclined to agree, but I wouldn't penalise a defence for coming forward if the attacking team pretended to tap the ball and actually did not (full reset would be appropriate).
yes
- a trick play that is designed to confuse, confound and bewilder the oppo - bring it on!
- a trick play that is designed to trick your opponent into committing an offence, so that the ref penalises them - nope, I'm not really going there.