Ireland v Wales “No onfield decision”

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
cheers - but then given he is likely to be 50m+ away what real input is he likely to provide ?
"Jeff - I'm near the technical areas, 75m away from where the pile up near the line occurred out towards the corner flag on the opposite side of the ground from me. I can't see anything on the pitch at all. I am unable to assist in an on field decision"
Maybe it’s just to take advantage if a To4 ref sees something material? “Jeff - I'm near the technical areas, and while you were sorting out that the pile up near the line red 15 took a cheap shot against blue 13. You might want to take a look…”

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Maybe it’s just to take advantage if a To4 ref sees something material? “Jeff - I'm near the technical areas, and while you were sorting out that the pile up near the line red 15 took a cheap shot against blue 13. You might want to take a look…”
now that - yes!

but I thought we were talking about pile ups near the line and the protocols for TMO involvement and on field decisions wrt a try etc, not foul play about the half way line?

Volun-selected

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
now that - yes!

but I thought we were talking about pile ups near the line and the protocols for TMO involvement and on field decisions wrt a try etc, not foul play about the half way line?
It was more a response to “so how does the TMO get involved in an on field decsion anyway?” in general. For the 50m away example, they can’t add much to that decision.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
It was more a response to “so how does the TMO get involved in an on field decsion anyway?” in general. For the 50m away example, they can’t add much to that decision.
exactly

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Game clock at 42:49 and Wales drive over a maul. Ball hidden under the dog pile so ref calls the TMO for views.

TMO reads back “Onfield decision is a try…” and the Ref immediately corrects with “No onfield decision”. The TMO confirms as no decision and carries on.

New protocol after the Scotland debacle last round?
It’s always been an option, just not one referees take many times.