Ireland Vs New Zealand

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Well done Ireland.

Just a pity the game was played in the USA. So many Irish supporters will have missed being able to say "I was there!"

Skids

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
Great result!

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
We were bloody awful in this match. It just goes to show, you cant go into a match with a flanker playing at lock, no matter how good you think you are.

With Ireland winning their first ever match against us in 111 years, it has been a truly historic day in Chicago, a city that has had another historic sporting event this week with the Cubs winning their first World Series for 108 years. To paraphrase the immortal words of Harry Caray

"Ireland wins! Ireland wins! Oh My God! Ireland wins!"

Congratulations Ireland, a thoroughly deserved win... no ifs, no buts, no maybes and no excuses! Now that the monkey is off their back, I don't think they will have to wait another 111 years for another one either, maybe not even a month.

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
23 wallabies just shat themselves. What Grand Slam?
Well done Ireland.

Did I mention that sometime prior to the First Fleet, I had an Irish relo somewhere around County Mayo?
Claiming some Irish ancestry today:smile:

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I had flashbacks to 2013 when we took our feet off the pedal early in the second half!

For all the things that didn't quite gel, NZ always look dangerous with ball in hand.

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Great result and a great advert for the game of rugby.

Thought that the All Blacks were back in the game with 20 minutes to play, but they looked like rabbits dazzled by headlights when back in their own 22m Not to take anything away from Ireland, they stuck to the task for the full 80 minutes and laid to rest the memory of the defeat at Lansdowne Road a few years back when they lost to an overtime try.

Cross

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It was the perfect Storm. NZ had a bad game, injuries, silly mistakes, and Ireland played very, very well.
If i recall correctly, they gave away 4 penalties. Only 4 penalties. That's gotta be some sort of record against the ABs. Schmidt's hand is clear.

Having said that, i have a feeling NZ will make them pay for this, dearly.
Not that that will erase the past, of course.

Last edited:

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
So I sit down to watch the match. Kick off ablut to happen, my wife yells from the kitchen "Did you hear that Ireland beat New Zealand?" Super, if you can give me the score I can save two hours of my life. Any one know a good divorce lawyer?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So I sit down to watch the match. Kick off ablut to happen, my wife yells from the kitchen "Did you hear that Ireland beat New Zealand?" Super, if you can give me the score I can save two hours of my life. Any one know a good divorce lawyer?

Paying the price for not watching it live :)

Did you hear the Cubs beat the Indians? Whoops ... sorry.

The trifecta ... Cubs, Ireland and Donald?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I've now seen the first half.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to

1) how moody didn't get a red card?

2) 26th minute nz lineout- knock on black in lineout? Then in open play ball kicked forward by black and mo black offside at subsequent action?

Didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
what do we make of the Zebo catch in the air?

https://youtu.be/SQL9rjywJrg?t=5110

recently we have seen a spate of players on the ground being harshly penalised for knocking over a player in the air.

here the referee played on, and we had no request for a second look from TMO.

Have the guidelines changed? has some common sense simply broken out?

Last edited:

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
well zebo was unchallenged in the air, caught it and landed flush into the AB - but whilst he ended up on the ground I suppose it didn't look "dangerous".

Who knows - it seems tot me as soon as Ive understood a protocol it all changes anyway. Witness Moody's YC ... how wasn't that a RC - he picks up the green man, tips him past the horizontal and is still holding him when green back/shoulder area hits the ground. doesn't look like a attempt to hold him up either. Isn't that start at red and look for mitigating circumstances - so a RC?

didds

davidlandy

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
well zebo was unchallenged in the air, caught it and landed flush into the AB - but whilst he ended up on the ground I suppose it didn't look "dangerous".

Who knows - it seems tot me as soon as Ive understood a protocol it all changes anyway. Witness Moody's YC ... how wasn't that a RC - he picks up the green man, tips him past the horizontal and is still holding him when green back/shoulder area hits the ground. doesn't look like a attempt to hold him up either. Isn't that start at red and look for mitigating circumstances - so a RC?

didds

Yeah, spot on didds, viewed at full-speed it looks like Zebo wasn't tackled at all, he landed on top of the AB who was waiting with feet on the ground to catch the ball. That's a no-foul 100% as you don't have to get out of the way of the catcher if you're also challenging for the ball, right?

Thanks for the link to the full game, can't wait to find time to watch it...

What time is the Moody YC?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
moody YC about the 7th or 8th minute...

didds

davidlandy

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
it's here..
https://youtu.be/SQL9rjywJrg?t=791

the referee judged that he landed on his back, therefore YC.
I thought he softened he softened his fall by getting his arm out, and landed on his shoulder. But shoulder/back, it's not like there's a hard dividing line.

Thanks didds, crossref. (How do you post a link to a specific point in a youtube video? That would be useful to know :))

Agree with everthing you say, crossref. Given that the ref decided he landed on his back and not his shoulder it's a YC not a RC, but it also looks to me like he landed first on his shoulder, then onto his back.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
well, we come back to luck/self protection from the tipped player saving the tipper from a RC ...

didds

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks didds, crossref. (How do you post a link to a specific point in a youtube video? That would be useful to know :))

in youtube
- pause the video
- right click on the video and a little menu pops up, one option is 'Copy URL of video at current time'