Is bridging legal and safe?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
(5) when any player entitled to do so picks up the ball?

I said:
(5) When the Jackler picks up the ball

The "jackler" is a generic term on this forum, that means;

1. Any tackler(s), having got to their feet, as per 15.4 (c)
2. Other players, on their feet, having entered though the gate as per 15.6

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I'll agree with the (5)s posted above, but (4) was specifically excluded because changing to a ruck is well known. It is changing to open play that causes the uncertainty.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
neither am I but....

....If a bridger (or indeed other players from the tackled player's side) is in situ over the tackled player with the ball behind the rear foot, with a 9 standing over it doing an 'up periscope' scan of the horizon, I'd contend that if a tackler's team player comes through the gate the bridger and other colleagues in situ CANNOT touch him for to do so would be obstruction. In grabbing the arriving player they aren't forming a ruck because they aren't in contact over the ball.

Would like to know what others think....
I'd agree with that. I'd go further and say that the obstruction PK is available even if the opposition decline to engage the obstructor.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I suspect that there are basics we agree on:

Clearly, if we have a tackle then tackle law applies.

If the ball moves away from the tackle zone (>1m from tackle site) then tackle phase is over and we have another phase.

If a ruck forms, tackle phase is over. And if we had a ruck and the ball became clear of it, then the ruck ended and (cos that's how it's defined in Law) we have open play.

If a player plays the ball, complying with tackle Law, then we have another phase.

What is in question is; if the ball remains close to the tackle site, no ruck forms, and no-one plays it are we still in the tackle phase.

I would suggest that the simplest and most practical answer is, yes.

In the scenario described where the ball is still in the tackle zone (assuming for a moment that it IS within 1m of where the tackle took place), but has not been played though is clear enough of feet for the proverbial bird poop to hit square on, that we still regard this as tackle phase.

This keeps the opposition from simply coming round the back, and encourages them to form a proper ruck. This is also encouraged by pinging bridgers so that the ruck can be driven back, and this encourages the tackled players side to commit forwards to it, creating space out wide, OR they seek to get quick ball and we have a fluid and dynamic game.

Allowing opponents to just come round the side seems like a recipe for misunderstanding, and flashpoints, and potentially simply creates a mess.

Further thoughts?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
What is in question is; if the ball remains close to the tackle site, no ruck forms, and no-one plays it are we still in the tackle phase.

I would suggest that the simplest and most practical answer is, yes.
[...]
Further thoughts?
I think we need to add that this situation must not be static. Both the tackled player and the tackler are required to get up or roll away immediately/at once (unless injured :( ).

The marginal situation would seem to be that moment when the tackler is regaining his feet and the tackled player is lying there with the ball laid back and his hand "steadying it".

Suppose it was a last ditch tackle, so the defenders are all coming back from the "wrong" direction. If a defender arrives before the tackler has regained his feet, but while the tackled player is still lying there, you have a judgement call. I don't know that we can lay down precise rules, but unless the tackled player makes an attempt to get up or roll away, I would be disinclined to cut him much slack.