Is bridging legal and safe?

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd like to hear views on whether bridging is legal and safe in Junior rugby (U13-U16.) To clarify what I mean:-

Tackled player, having gone to ground places the ball. First supporting player stays on his feet, leans over the ball and grabs the shirt of the tackled player, the ball is then protected from the opponents by the bridge created.

I'd like to know whether the following is material:-
a. tackled player is prevented from rolling away (in the way this is coached he actually has no intention of doing so)
b. bridging player has shoulders below hips, perhaps rests his head on the tackled player to strengthen the bridge
c. bridging player may go off his feet as other supporting players enter the tackle area, creating the exact appearance of squeezeball
d. risk of neck injury to the bridging player

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Tackled player, having gone to ground places the ball. First supporting player stays on his feet, leans over the ball and grabs the shirt of the tackled player, the ball is then protected from the opponents by the bridge created.

So the bridge prevents the opponents from a fair contest for the ball.

You answered your own question. It's not legal.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No and no, especially in JUnior Rugby as it exposes an unprotected neck - the technique you describe is known as "latching" and if weight is in anyway held up by the contact with the tackler on deck, then it is illegal.

Having my refereeing MOT assessment last week my one 'development' point that a Group Assessor identified was that was not always getting the tackler to release / roll away and a couple of times penalised for not release by tackled player, when I shoulkd have pinged the tackler as first offence - so anything that prevents tackler rolling away is bad for me !

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
In my view, this is not legal at adult rugby, let alone at junior. Issues include:

a) preventing the tackled player/tackler rolling away
b) shoulders below hips
c) bridger is off his feet as defined if he rests any weight at all on the prone player

All these are safety issues. When reffing, stop the game, explain the problem, be clear you don't want to see it again. If you are part of a coaching setup that coaches this to juniors, discuss it with the coaching team. If they persist in coaching it, consider reporting the matter to the club's safeguarding officer - but be aware that few will know the laws.

scrumpox2

Referees in England
Post Likes
15.6(a) and 15.7(b)+(c)+(f) would seem to apply.
I cannot find the form of words "fair contest for the ball" within law 15.

Dixie, I don't coach it for safety reasons, however recent opponents coached it and a Hants Society ref was entirely happy about it when I asked him at half time. One of his team's players went off shortly after half time with a neck injury (not serious) sustained by doing just this.

As a coach I have to teach my players how to counter this when a ref allows our opponents to do it. Every technique I can think of risks injury to the bridging player. Very frustrating.

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Dixie, I don't coach it for safety reasons, however recent opponents coached it and a Hants Society ref was entirely happy about it when I asked him at half time. One of his team's players went off shortly after half time with a neck injury (not serious) sustained by doing just this.

As a coach I have to teach my players how to counter this when a ref allows our opponents to do it. Every technique I can think of risks injury to the bridging player. Very frustrating.

Please let me know who the Hants Ref is (via email not on here !), and I will ensure appropriate education / re-education is undertaken !

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
15.6(a) and 15.7(b)+(c)+(f) would seem to apply.
I cannot find the form of words "fair contest for the ball" within law 15.

I will rephrase it then:

15.6 (b) After a tackle any players on their feet may attempt to gain possession by taking the ball from the ball carriers possession.

Anyone who denies the above (by bridging, latching or sealing) should be pinged.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
thanks scrumpox - I will discuss with referee and also CB

Wert Twacky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Scrumpox,

No and no, as per the reasons given above.

Any referee who says this is OK needs, well, as Simon T politely suggested - re-educating or, less politely - a kick up the arse.

Unsafe and prevents a fair contest.

Simonsky

Referees in England
Post Likes
Good to here again a good clear message re: bridging -but what about situations ( see it often at elite level!) where support player gets to tackled team mate and puts one foot in front and one behind tackled player (parallel to goal line) as oppos come in to bind. He's not off feet but is it a form of obstruction?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
He's not off feet but is it a form of obstruction?
Not for me - whenever two players form a ruck over the ball, one has played the other without the ball. If the ball was available to be played, they'd have played it - the fact that a ruck forms suggests that each player was obstructing the other's clear access to the ball. It's the game we play.

kaypeegee

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'd like to hear views on whether bridging is legal and safe in Junior rugby (U13-U16.) To clarify what I mean:-

Fully agree with previous posts; "no" and "no".

Unfortunately situation is not helped by various coaching courses, coaching guides and manuals actively promoting the technique.

For instance "The Rugby Union Manual - The Official Guide to Playing the Game" (Haynes 2008) endorsed by the RFU and England Rugby.

p119 'Bridging'
"The team in possession of the ball at a ruck often tries to retain it by 'bridging' players over the tackled player and ball. In bridging the player takes his weight on his feet and arms, which are on the tackled player. Often his shoulders are lower than his hips as he virtually covers his team mate. This is against the letter of the law but is now accepted in the higher levels of the game."

At least this acknowledges it's illegal.

There also used to be a RFU Coaching Techical Journal on RFU.com that specifically coached bridging and even gave teaching drills. Not sure if it is still there in the new super-duper version.

kaypeegee

Referees in England
Post Likes
There also used to be a RFU Coaching Techical Journal on RFU.com that specifically coached bridging and even gave teaching drills. Not sure if it is still there in the new super-duper version.

Yep. Still there!

http://www.rfu.com/TakingPart/Coach/CoachResourceArchive/Tackling.aspx

DECISION MAKING IN THE TACKLE By Kingsley Jones.

Hit, down, clear and bridge.
• Working in groups of four with the same pads set-up as in the first diagram.
• Player 1 hits the pad and, as in the previous drill, drives forwards and goes to ground on a call from player 2 who then clears the pad out.
• Player 3 then bridges player 1 on floor, ensuring he carries all his weight on his feet to comply with the Law.
o Ensure player 3 get a wide base but not beyond the player on the ground.
If player steps beyond the player on the ground, the action is offering a leg
upon which defenders can make a hold to initiate a drive.
o Squat down with bent knees, thus making a low, strong position with a
wide base.
o Keep the head up.
o Both hands grip player 1. The important thing is to get a good tight grip
and this can be on shorts and shirt or both hands on the shirt.
o Ensure that the bridged ball is inside the back foot of the player forming
the bridge, so that when a defender(s) makes contact, the ball is still in a
ruck and is not free to be taken.

ballsie

ballsie
Post Likes
Please let me know who the Hants Ref is (via email not on here !), and I will ensure appropriate education / re-education is undertaken !

Twas not me I agree fully with Simon T on this one and continualy ping juniors and colts doing just what you describe, very suprised to hear a Hants referee is allowing it to happen,

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
I have just seen the biggest sword of Damocles fly past my house enroute to somewhere in the county; to hang there and swing in the breeze until the mighty wrath of Chairman Simon shall swoop low out of the clouds to arrive on the doorstep of some poor, lowly and unsuspecting chap. A poor man, humble by nature, yet grateful of the opportunity, nay privilege, to serve when he can who has, unfortunately, been unable to attend training meetings on Monday nights. This clash with his voluntary service denies him the comradeship and training benefits of the Society that he craves so much. Even so, when the pain subsides sufficiently for him to get his boots on he struggles manfully to give 30 players, if so many should be available or bothered to turn up, the opportunity to enjoy the game that they hold so dear. :Looser:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Deeps - have you been at the rum again?

David J.

Referees in America
Post Likes
Good to here again a good clear message re: bridging -but what about situations ( see it often at elite level!) where support player gets to tackled team mate and puts one foot in front and one behind tackled player (parallel to goal line) as oppos come in to bind. He's not off feet but is it a form of obstruction?

For me, it depends on how much time there is before the oppo arrives. But in light of your original scenario, by straddling the player on the ground, isn't he preventing that player from rolling away?

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

Deeps

Referees in England
Post Likes
Deeps - have you been at the rum again?

I wish! I am still thawing out from yesterday's game.

Much against my better judgement, I allowed myself to travel o'er seas to the 'island' for a Colts game. My erstwhile Hampshire Colts coach/manager colleague had explained on the phone a few days previously that this would be their second game of the season only and he was very worried for the future of Colts rugby thereabouts so the game was important. Even so, as I sat in the train heading for the ferry with the rain lashing down I clutched my mobile firmly to my ear so as not to miss the prayed for cancellation. It was miserable outside but the call didn't come.

The weather was foul at the ferry terminus, the ferry struggled against the wind and we were told to remain in our seats as the crossing was going to be rough. At the other side the ferry missed his first alongside (round again Cox'n) and took an inordinate time to find the pier; I was going to offer some professional help but did not want to rub it in that he was a crap ship handler.

The pitch was a mud bath, my shoes leaked while crossing over to the club house and that was before I got changed; wet and muddy socks then for the home trip. The players had to be brought in for their warm up being at risk from hypothermia outside in the hailstones. Eventually there was nothing for it and out we went cheered on by brave mums and dads hiding in the bushes from the wind and rain. Some fair weather supporters stayed in their cars yet you could tell who was supporting who by the flashing of lights and sounding of horns when someone scored.

Surprisingly enough, we had a good game and the lads wanted to play it open though chasing after intercepted passes was purgatory in the mud. I decided to let them get on with it and watched from nearby, only getting involved at the most obvious of knock ons and I think we had two penalties for not releasing the ball though this was probably more the fault of the mud than the players. I allowed the props to hold on at the 'touch' for fear that any contact at the hit might miss in the mud and it was most successful for we had not a single collapse and 5 strikes against the head which was wonderful.

I had started my watch the moment we left the changing rooms and refused any injury time at all, even so I suspect my watch was running fast too. Half time was about 30 seconds and we were off again. Some ten minutes later the rain stopped abruptly and all the supporters in cars came out to jeer. Yet the wind howled and those that had been bathing in the mud were becoming distinctly cold. Eventually the home skipper realised that they were not going to claw back their opponent's 47 points, took a quick straw poll and decided that they had had enough 20 minutes in.

I was alone at the final whistle as all were now dashing for the safety and relative warmth of the club house. Now here was a new dilemma. As there is only one set of showers at this particular club and with Child Protection guidelines firmly lodged in mind, I had agreed with the coaches that they would hold their teams for a warm down and 5 minute debrief to allow me to shower first. No chance, both teams stood en masse in the showers in full kit until all the hot water had gone.

I struggled to remove my sodden boots through numb fingers and gave up on my socks as the away team coach came in to confirm the score. Seeing my discomfort he offered to get me a drink to warm me up. At last I thought, a drop of Captain Morgans is just what I need. 'Oh, yes please', quoth I in much anticipation 'and make it a large one'.

'Right,' said he 'one large cup of tea coming up.'

:mad:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I have just seen the biggest sword of Damocles fly past my house enroute to somewhere in the county; to hang there and swing in the breeze until the mighty wrath of Chairman Simon shall swoop low out of the clouds to arrive on the doorstep of some poor, lowly and unsuspecting chap. A poor man, humble by nature, yet grateful of the opportunity, nay privilege, to serve when he can who has, unfortunately, been unable to attend training meetings on Monday nights. This clash with his voluntary service denies him the comradeship and training benefits of the Society that he craves so much. Even so, when the pain subsides sufficiently for him to get his boots on he struggles manfully to give 30 players, if so many should be available or bothered to turn up, the opportunity to enjoy the game that they hold so dear. :Looser:

Target acquired and locked on...........................