Is he allowed kick?

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
The laws are in desperate need of a good edit.

Mind you - even if someone did edit them and apply all the clarifications etc., I am sure we would still find things to discuss about interpretation.

Of course!

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
seems to me that the time between the try being scored and the arrival of the tee is an excellent opportunity for a bit of housekeeping, recording the score, checking time, possibly a quick word with a captain/player if convenient, ie nearby. drink of water if a bottle comes past.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
seems to me that the time between the try being scored and the arrival of the tee is an excellent opportunity for a bit of housekeeping, recording the score, checking time, possibly a quick word with a captain/player if convenient, ie nearby. drink of water if a bottle comes past.

Crossref, I can't say you are wrong. I suppose what I really meant was that, with referance to the OP and the issue of allowing a player return from a sin bin, I dont see this period as a stoppage per se and IMHO would not be a suitable time to allow such a return given that I would probably want to have a 'word' etc.

A stoppage to me is a period where any mode of play does not occur.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Crossref, I can't say you are wrong. I suppose what I really meant was that, with referance to the OP and the issue of allowing a player return from a sin bin, I dont see this period as a stoppage per se and IMHO would not be a suitable time to allow such a return given that I would probably want to have a 'word' etc.

A stoppage to me is a period where any mode of play does not occur.

I guess you can stand that up as long as you are consistent - ie you don't let any YC player return to the field until after the conversion. IMO it would be wrong to use this a reason to stop a returning #10 from coming back, who will then take the kick, if you would have been perfectly happy with a returning prop.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
[LAWS]Dead: The ball is out of play. This happens when the ball has gone outside the playing area and remained there, or when the referee has blown the whistle to indicate a stoppage in play, or when a conversion kick has been taken.[/LAWS]

The way I understand/interpret that law definition is that the game doesn't restart between try and conversion.
As such, the law clearly states that the ball isn't dead after a try, The ball only becomes dead when the full try+conversion has been completed. And hence, the match doesn't restart until the... well... restart.

It is consistent with the rest of the law to see try+conversion as a single stoppage. That's why the conversion is taken even if a try is scored after the time is up...

Doesn't that make sense?
My 2 cents,
Pierre.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
It does until you read post #13!

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
[LAWS]Dead: The ball is out of play. This happens when the ball has gone outside the playing area and remained there, or when the referee has blown the whistle to indicate a stoppage in play, or when a conversion kick has been taken.[/LAWS]

The way I understand/interpret that law definition is that the game doesn't restart between try and conversion.
As such, the law clearly states that the ball isn't dead after a try,

menace got there first, but Law 22.11(c) explicitly states that the ball is dead after a try:

When a player scores a try or makes a touch down, the ball becomes dead

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This is a no-brainer. The whistle has blown, the ball is dead, the 10 mins are up and the sinner may return and take the kick.

However, if the ball is kicked to touch, and a QT is on, what then?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
This is a no-brainer. The whistle has blown, the ball is dead, the 10 mins are up and the sinner may return and take the kick.

However, if the ball is kicked to touch, and a QT is on, what then?

there was a clarification after the Rolland/Skinner RC for touching the ball incident.

They effectively said: it's referee discretion, he can halt the QTI to let the YC player return, or he can delay the YC return to allow the oppo to take a QTI. They didn't say what the ref should do.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
A good debate had by most I see.
I asked my higher up and he said that yes the YC player is allowed to take the conversion. No law quotes but I have no reason to doubt him.