Is this a new Lineout tactic?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I agree with that -- but I do recall that it was a source of great disagreement.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
can you be guilty of obstruction if you are behind the ball carrier....

exactly CR - hence my bit about split second timings and just being in front of the lead attacker etc.

didds

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Got caught out last week by the a team who didn't commit to the maul,
Blue catch ball and set up a wedge, transfer the ball to the back legally.
Red part and when ball is transferrred back red player comes round and tackles the ball carrier.
I ping him for offside saying we haven't moved from the line of touch, much to his displeasure.
When ball is kicked to touch I collar red player and tell him sorry mate I got that wrong.
Fortunately not a game changing moment as blue won easily.
I wish teams would tell referees if they are going to attempt this tactic so we can be alert to it.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Red part and when ball is transferrred back red player comes round and tackles the ball carrier.
I ping him for offside saying we haven't moved from the line of touch, much to his displeasure.
When ball is kicked to touch I collar red player and tell him sorry mate I got that wrong.
Fortunately not a game changing moment as blue won easily.
I wish teams would tell referees if they are going to attempt this tactic so we can be alert to it.

Did you realise you got it wrong before the kick to touch?

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
no but if I had, would have been an interesting call.
I stopped play, made a bad decision, scrum blue as they were in possession

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes

If red didn't commit to the maul, how can blue have transfered the ball to the back legally?

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
no but if I had, would have been an interesting call.
I stopped play, made a bad decision, scrum blue as they were in possession

Would it have affected your decision if a player pointed out your mistake?

I can see an argument for altering your decision if you realised it was wrong, but I'm very reluctant to do so if a player points it out. Maybe I'm just overly belligerent

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Would it have affected your decision if a player pointed out your mistake?

I can see an argument for altering your decision if you realised it was wrong, but I'm very reluctant to do so if a player points it out. Maybe I'm just overly belligerent

Even if you knew he was right?

didds

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Even if you knew he was right?

didds

That's the conundrum. You don't want to look like you're being influenced by the players, but you also want to make the right decisions.
"[PEEP] penalty red!" "but sir, blah blah blah..." "You're right! [PEEP] penalty blue!" would look pretty bad and you'd be handing away all control of the game.

The best you can do, I think, is take your time signalling - think quickly act slowly and all that (though I often struggle with the former) - without appearing to listen.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I do appreciate its a conundrum... cos if its something that is a real clanger but you ignore the "help", you potentially have 30 players and two benches plus every watcher all thinking "WTF!"

didds

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
It's only a conundrum if the player points out your error in an inappropriate manner. If you got it wrong and the player quietly says "Excuse me, Sir, shouldn't that be blah, blah, blah ..." then you are demonstrating your insecurity if you ignore him.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I think sometimes you just have to change your mind. If you know you are wrong, and let's face it everyone knows you know you are wrong - I don't see that it makes it any better to keep ploughing on.

The example we have used before is the time where you award a try, and then realise that it was scored on the 5m line. It would be pretty senseless to persist with the try award. Better to change your mind (and prepare yourself for co-winner of the dick-of-the-day award later in the afternoon!)

Last edited:

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
It's only a conundrum if the player points out your error in an inappropriate manner. If you got it wrong and the player quietly says "Excuse me, Sir, shouldn't that be blah, blah, blah ..." then you are demonstrating your insecurity if you ignore him.

Yes, I think that comes into it. If you have a good rapport with the players and they're being well behaved it can make it easier.

Or if they start effing and blinding at you you can ping them for backchat :D

As with so much, I don't think it's black and white. As crossref points out - it also depends on the magnitude of the mistake!

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
and the eternal conundrum...

iss a mistake that leads to a score in the 20th minute as important as a mistake leading to a score in the 80th minute?

didds (rhetorical question)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Many years ago as a brand new ref, they were well in front of the kicker at a 22m dropout, and I awarded a PK for offside

My error was pointed out to me by one or two players, and the coach, and um a few spectators.
I realised it was wrong and changed my mind. It's another example where it would be senseless to persist with your decision if you know it was wrong

DocY

Referees in England
Post Likes
Many years ago as a brand new ref, they were well in front of the kicker at a 22m dropout, and I awarded a PK for offside

My error was pointed out to me by one or two players, and the coach, and um a few spectators.
I realised it was wrong and changed my mind. It's another example where it would be senseless to persist with your decision if you know it was wrong

I'm surprised they knew the law!

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
The player did point it out to me in a controlled way but I said no you're offside and stuck to my decision. As the ball was kicked I realised I was wrong and told him.
I know the ball wasn't moved back legally but you know what I mean.
I've had occasions to change my decision when it is pointed out that I'm wrong. No harm in that if you explain it.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
It is also an excellent learning point; I find that refs who have 'errors' pointed out to them -and they are asked to check to make sure, really get to understand that particular situation and don't make that 'error' again.

Refs, however, make fewer mistakes than players; don't beat yourself up about it.:booty: