Japan v Maori All Blacks

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hang on a cotton pickin minute, if traditions are being upheld, then no one can criticise bigoted views, cos they are traditionally English.....

If "Bigot" means "intolerant of another person's opinion" then ive just popped a rib chuckling at the irony...

Don't try to feign ignorance of what bigotry means in the context I have used it

"Bigotry is a state of mind where a person strongly and unfairly dislikes other people, ideas, etc. Some examples include personal beliefs, race, religion, national origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, or other group characteristics."

Question..... Do the NZ Maoris ever play the NZAB? & if not why not?

Only once that I know of.

19730808.jpg

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
the England Saxons are just the England 2nd XV, you don't have to be a Saxon (or of Saxon heritage) to play for them.

.. no, but you have to be English by birth by residence or by ancestestry

You are trying to imply that NZ Maori is some kind of racist team that players are forced to play for in lieu of playing for other teams, similar to such as the old Leopards (SAARB) and Proteas (SARFF) teams in South Africa. This is not the case.

If anyone (such as the iRB) tried to make the NZ Maori team illegal or redundant, there would be howls of protest from the Maori community in NZ.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
no, I am saying it's a rather curious team, in this modern day, and was trying to understand more.

Saxons are England's designated second team, but Maori All Blacks presumably arent the NZ 2nd team, as non-maori NZ would be precluded from playing for it.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
no, I am saying it's a rather curious team, in this modern day, and was trying to understand more.

Saxons are England's designated second team, but Maori All Blacks presumably arent the NZ 2nd team, as non-maori NZ would be precluded from playing for it.

NZ's second team is the Junior All Blacks (NZ "A")

The Maori All Blacks is all about tradition; its a team that goes right back to the foundations of New Zealand Rugby more than a century ago with the "New Zealand Natives team of 1888. These guys went on a 1 year tour of NZ, Australia and Great Britain and played 107 rugby matches winning 78 of them. They also played nine Australian Rules and two Association Football matches!

http://www.nzhistory.net.nz/culture/the-new-zealand-natives-rugby-tour/nz-natives-rugby-tour

And yes, if you're not Maori you can't play for The Maori All Blacks. Some people call that racist but I see nothing wrong with it; if you are not a woman you can't play for the Black Ferns. Is that sexist? If you are 20 years old or over, you cannot play for the Under 20's, is that ageist?

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The Maori All Blacks is all about tradition; its a team that goes right back to the foundations of New Zealand Rugby more than a century ago with the "New Zealand Natives team of 1888. These guys went on a 1 year tour of NZ, Australia and Great Britain and played 107 rugby matches winning 78 of them. They also played nine Australian Rules and two Association Football matches!
I seem to remember reading that not al of that famous team were technically Maori, but I don't know how that is/was determined.