Jarryd Hayne

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes
Apparently he is going to try and make it in the NFL. I think he will struggle to make it. For an NFL player, his size will limit the positions he can play. 6'2" is a little tall for a running back. 220 pounds is a good weight, but that is light for someone of his height. Tight end would be tough because a defensive end who is an inch or two taller, 20 pounds heavier and just as quick would beat him off the line when Jarryd had to block. He mentioned being a kick returner, but those guys rarely do just that. They are often wide receivers. WRs have to have fairly high football IQs. I hope he reaches his goals.

Size averages for reference:

http://www.sprayberryfootball.com/page/show/292837-nfl-player-specs

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Love the 0.03s difference of a running back v. a safety ....

& you got big hands son?, then you gonna be a catcher !!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Love the 0.03s difference of a running back v. a safety ....

& you got big hands son?, then you gonna be a catcher !!

I thought you'd be more pleased about there being one less RL player in the world.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
You think Jarryd Hane will struggle to make it in the NFL?

Back in Ulster/Ireland Joe Schmidt is convinced Jared Payne will take over O'Driscoll's #13 shirt. That's even more delusional.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I like the notes on the level of intelligence required :) I'd like to see that same system for rugby positions.

A little grade inflation, I notice no one is below average. I assume that
Superior means above average
Above average = Average
Average = Below Average

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I thought you'd be more pleased about there being one less RL player in the world.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good myth !

I never said I disliked Rugbrawly League entirely, i jibe at the lack of discipline or sanction, and dispair at the way Union is being slealthily changed from the elite downward , but as a stand alone separate code it had some entertainment value.

There are other equally entertaining viewings ...........????

I'll cross 'em, others can nod em in . :) !

Last edited:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I like the notes on the level of intelligence required :) I'd like to see that same system for rugby positions.

Above average = Average
Average = Below Average

Was it Keith Jospeh when Secretary of State for Education and Science in the early years of MT's government said he appalled that half the children in the UK were below average intelligence?

buff

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
He is too small to be a big guy, and very likely too slow to be a fast guy. Is there any word on his 40yd time?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Was it Keith Jospeh when Secretary of State for Education and Science in the early years of MT's government said he appalled that half the children in the UK were below average intelligence?

well, to this day most people remain appalled that fully half the hospitals in the UK have worse than average mortality rates. As do half of all surgeons.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The headmistress of a local grammar school once declared that no pupils should get lower than a C marking because "none of my girls are below average".

barker14610

Referees in America
Post Likes

Above average = Average
Average = Below Average

The comparison is against incoming players. This is a scouting guide for the draft. Anyone below average will not be able to handle the playbook

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
The headmistress of a local grammar school once declared that no pupils should get lower than a C marking because "none of my girls are below average".

To be fair, if she's selecting the top 50% she has something of a point.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Hah, that's funny - glass half full or glass half empty?

Back in the day, New Zealand Prime Minister at the time (Sir Robert Muldoon), was asked about the 'brain drain' of professional New Zealanders emigrating to Australia. He replied that it 'raised the average IQ of both countries.'

Blackberry

Referees in England
Post Likes
Its possible, sort of, for more than half of a group to be above average. If you have grades of, say, 1to 100 and most hover around the 55 mark but you have a few who are near the bottom......well do the maths. It depends on which average you mean. See what i did there?

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I had the same thought, but actually any large population will reflect a normal distribution curve, for which any definition of "average" - mode, mean, median, arithmetic - tends to the central position of the curve.

Doesn't it?

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I had the same thought, but actually any large population will reflect a normal distribution curve, for which any definition of "average" - mode, mean, median, arithmetic - tends to the central position of the curve.

Doesn't it?

It depends whether the group is representative of the whole population. A group selected as, say, the top 50% of the general population will have far more below average than above; you're slicing the bell curve at its fattest point.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Doesn't it?

Yes. Mode, mean and median (arithmetic? I think you meant average, or 'arithmetic mean' which is just known as the average) will all be the same but ONLY when the population/sample is truly normally distributed, and as the sample increases in size the distribution does tend towards 'normal'. Look up 'central limit theory'. But in reality in many measures the distribution tends to be skewed and that's why mode, median and mean will not be the same, and that's why understanding your data distribution helps you decide which one of those measures of is the better one to use a point estimate of 'central tendency'.

It depends whether the group is representative of the whole population. A group selected as, say, the top 50% of the general population will have far more below average than above; you're slicing the bell curve at its fattest point.
Ie see central limit theory.

I once did some stats on percentiles of staff output and the head honcho declared that he wanted all of his staff to be 'in the top 25th percentile' ...took me a while to explain that that was not possible. of course what he meant was that he wanted all of his staff to perform above the output measure representing the 75th percentile and that point.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
To be fair, if she's selecting the top 50% she has something of a point.
She was completely missing the point that the idea was to grade her pupils according to what was expected of them, given that they were a selected group. This was an internal grading, and arbitrarily limiting it to A, B, and C made a nonsense of an A-E system.

She also had peculiar ideas about calculating averages that the head of maths refused to implement.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
She was completely missing the point that the idea was to grade her pupils according to what was expected of them, given that they were a selected group. This was an internal grading, and arbitrarily limiting it to A, B, and C made a nonsense of an A-E system.

She also had peculiar ideas about calculating averages that the head of maths refused to implement.

Sorry, I understood you to mean average of the general population (see what I did there); and I agree.

I'm not surprised that the head of maths wouldn't co-operate, if that is any guide to her approach to calculating averages.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
hmmm -- when I read the player specifications and it said that a Running Back had to have 'average' intelligence, I thought it meant average amongst footbal players, which is why I grinned that every position had to be average or better.

I guess they could have meant 'average' amongst the whole US population.

I which case it IS possible that all NFL players are of average or above intelligence. But is it likely?