Joined up IRB email

Dan Cottrell

Getting to know the game
Post Likes
I just received an email from the IRB telling me about the Global trials, plus key areas.

So in the trials it says Crouch, Touch, Set
In the key areas, on scrums, it says:

Scrum.
Four calls and four actions: crouch means crouch, touch means touch, etc.

REF:
http://www.irblaws.com/EN/guidelines/4/keyareas/

Right hand and left hand not fully introduced I think!

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
i have another question about the mail. At the bottom is a list of 3 current enforcement reminders, with the second concerning the case where players in front of the kicker of a ball that goes into touch use their offside position to prevent a quick throw in.

I had a question (and answer) published on exactly this point about 2 years ago on the sarefs website (before I knew of this august journal!!) and they said refs had enough to worry about when the ball was in the field of play, never mind marshalling stuff when the ball is outside the field of play (or words to that effect).

Has something changed in the intervening years since this enforcement reminder is a direct contradiction of the answer given to me back then!

But I agree wholeheartedly with the enforcement, people preventing a quick throw in from an offside position have an unfair advantage to my mind.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
we've had a whole thread on that subject Irishref... not that long ago.

You'll have to search for it though :) DYOR etc ;-)

didds

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
I had a question (and answer) published on exactly this point about 2 years ago on the sarefs website (before I knew of this august journal!!) and they said refs had enough to worry about when the ball was in the field of play, never mind marshalling stuff when the ball is outside the field of play (or words to that effect).

Sarefs website is not an official iRB mouthpiece - and frankly is often wrong and misleading, depending on who the duty ref is.

I always take whatever they say with a pinch of salt. It can be a useful site to gauge a view on a situation, but it isn't an oracle, and its recommendations are occasionally ... er ... interesting.

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
I've definitely reached that conclusion myself Davet - but since joining this site the conclusion has been strengthened !

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I just received an email from the IRB telling me about the Global trials, plus key areas.

So in the trials it says Crouch, Touch, Set
In the key areas, on scrums, it says:

Scrum.
Four calls and four actions: crouch means crouch, touch means touch, etc.

REF:
http://www.irblaws.com/EN/guidelines/4/keyareas/

Right hand and left hand not fully introduced I think!

Dan

The 5 key areas have been in force for some time now and refer to current law. So are correct as we speak.

The change to the scrum engagement doesn't come into force until September (here) and January (down there).

So they are technically correct to keep it like this, although I agree it doesn't look too clever on one email.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
If only I could get people to write articles for this site we'd be running along at the same level as them.