Joost diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease

Chickref

Referees in New Zealand
Post Likes
Missed this one in the news, but Springbok legend Joost van der Westhuizen has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone disease. Which is the same thing Stephen Hawking has. It somehow seems perverse that a guy who was so tough could end up so physically crippled just a little while into the future.

I was a big fan of his as a kid, even though he played for the 'Boks. I'll be praying for him.

It does make you wonder about the long term effects of playing rugby though... how many knocks to the head is one too many?

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In an interview he has given apparently the doctor who diagnosed him has given him 3 years to live, such a sad way for a former great of the game to go.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Very sad news, and especially for one of Rugby's great scrum halves, and who set standards others are still trying to emulate.

My thoughts go out to him and his family & friends.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Very sad indeed.

A former playing colleague of mine has it and he has gone from diagnosis to Stephen Hawking like - in a chair with head restraint - in about 2 years. He was walking with sticks about a year ago.:sad:

Andre Venter (Jim Telfer's favourite Springbok) has a similar degenerative disease as well.

Last edited:

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I echo the comments above, a true great of the game!

Stoo48

Referees in America
Post Likes
Awful news. My old club in the UK do a huge amount or fundraising for MND, we have a former player now living in the South West who has this. Its taking him slowly from us.

See www.fatherabraham.co.uk and lend your support to the fight!