Judah Match Report From Scotland w/ Assessor Comments

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
As I didn't see the incident, I can't comment on it specifically. If the assessor and other high garde referees supported your management of the incident, then you probably did the right things at the time.
My major concern is the TJ - whatever is happening an appointed TJ should NEVER get physically involved but stand back to provide a second set of eyes and see who is initiators and who retaliators.
Then you can use cards !

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
I understand the point that you're making Robert, but you still haven't really answered the question.

I can see a situation where it is impossible to attribute blame other than on a 50/50 basis. I can understand carding the most egregious offenders. BUT giving a penalty gives one side an advantage over another, when both have equally been at fault.

How can you support that view? For every team that is punished, another team receives a reward. Are you happy with that concept.

And the proof of the pudding is in the eating I s'pose. if he didn't have any more problems, then that suggests he handled it well enough. If it had all blown up again, then we'd be justified in throwing eggs at him. But based on what we've read? I'm good with the approach taken.

jboulet4648

Referees in America
Post Likes
Two years ago I did not have a solid management style in my matches. I would have thrown cards left and right. Now however, I have become confident in the strongest weapon I have on the field, and they are not my cards, or my whistle. My voice. When I step on the field, I know that I am confident to earn the players respect, and deal with any situations which may arise. I will try everything I can to not use cards, if I have to, so be it, but if I can get through it without using cards, and in the meantime get two fighting players to work for me harder than they thought they would, even better.
We have all played the game. We have all wanted to punch someone, or played a bitter rival and let testosterone get the better of us. It's human nature. We step on the pitch knowing this. Is fighting to be condoned, no, but is it understandable why it may occur, yes. But if its understandable to us, why not use that as a tool to get the players of both teams on our sides. Gents, I hope its out of your system, I will not tolerate anymore of this nonsense. I will go directly for red is I see anything else, and will write a rather severe report. I expect each side to play in the spirit of the game from here on out. Red Captain do we have an agreement? Black captain, we agree? Alright gents, take a minute to talk to your teams, we will restart with .....

What have you done? You have not given the players the right to fight. You have sold yourself to the players. They will try harder for you.

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
jeez, why dont they cover this sort of thing in the ELRA etc?
and first few assessments ...
I am not saying that posterA has got the right answer or poster B .. but there is alot of good stuff here for us refs to work with.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Judah,

Hope you are not taking any of this personally as although the debate came from your post, we all agree your approach in that game worked. (just in case anyone thinks I'm pointing fingers, which i'm not).

I agree with the try and keep cards in pockets and that they will need to come out if necessary.

I really do find the whole mass brawl with the outcome being a bollocking and a scrum (except for maybe a few incidents where the game has maybe allowed it to be such, never had one though) hard to fathom.

If two players knock ten bells out of each other despite your whistling, they are going to be carded, almost certainly in everyones games. If the teams are doing their best to help you stop it, I can see the reason is telling the capts "Thanks for keeping your players under control, those two are now gone (10 mins or good), we'll go with the sprit of the 28 other players that want to play rugby and have a scrum to x (either team in possession or attacking team if no team in possession).

However,

If you have 15 v 15 who are hitting each other, regardless of your shouts and/or whistle and eventually only stop when they stop (because we all know that we cannot physically stop it). Then how can we really start that with a scrum? How can that be justified in law?

"Captains, you're all as bad as each other so we'll have a scrum to blue!"

That to me doesn't work, there has to be a penalty and almost certainly (not 100% but can't be far off it) has to be cards, and if you can't card the ones who started it, then card a runner in from each team. There you have your equity. Penalty to defence unless you clearly see reason for otherwise, why? Because the defence will almost certainly kick for a line out, game then starts as normal somewhere else and teams can play rugby, if you give it to the attacking team, they may be close enough to run in a try or kick 3 points at goal that may make a big difference. You may say a penalty against one or the other isn't equitable, but it's more equitable than a penalty and points against one team.

Another reason (IMHO) why cards need to be used is that you are then showing the players they won't get away with it.

"Captains, I didn't see what started it but I saw blue 15 come running in from his own half to throw punches and red 14 did the same, these two players will tae no more part in the game and if we have a repeat more players may receive the same sanctions, do we understand? Please take 1 minute to talk to your players we will then restart with a penalty to xxx"

if you just go bollocking scrum the players may still be annoyed/frustrated/angry enough to get the person that just hit them, but if you have already shown two cards, they will have a second thought about it because they know the team will suffer more (not just get a first suffering).

That's my full view on it. Maybe we should have a poll?

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Hang on, you've just given 40 yards to the defenders, plus (almost) guaranteed possession, just because they were the defending side.

Can't agree with that at all. As I said, in penalizing one side you giving an advantage to another. If both sides are equally culpable, what's your justification?

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
i was told that there is no correct answer to this scenario but that a penalty to the defending team is the most pragmatic decision for Robert's reasons ...

If you gave a scrum and one prop (blind side to you) decided to take out his revenge on his oppo number ... how would you feel?

mind you ... he could wait until the next line out .... or longer until tyhe next ruck if he was so inclined.

so, i dont u/stand the logic .. just what assessors have told me time and again.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
A penalty is not a perfect solution, neither is a scrum. I suggest a restart without physical contact might allow them all to calm down a little.

Perfect solution or not, it is up to the ref to make a logical call and 'Sell' the decision. Then get on with the game.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Hang on, you've just given 40 yards to the defenders, plus (almost) guaranteed possession, just because they were the defending side.

Can't agree with that at all. As I said, in penalizing one side you giving an advantage to another. If both sides are equally culpable, what's your justification?
Is that worse than giving the attacking team the scrum (as it says in the law book) and having them in a position to score?

The penalty may not be idealistic, but it can make the sittuation neutral, both teams down a player (in my scenario) penalty to defence, we now start close to the half way line area with both teams equally competing for possession.

If you give a scrum you have one team restarting very disadvantaged as they will not have the put in and will be in their own half being possibly pushed back.

It's true there is no definitive, but I would certainly suggest Referees that get a mass brawl do not restart with a scrum, not all referees have management as a strength, and if they don't they are almost certainly asking for trouble.

Bryan

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I agree with the try and keep cards in pockets and that they will need to come out if necessary.
Imagine of Boulet was more card happy than he currently is- 6 yellows and 1 red in 3 matches. We'd be watching 10s rugby for 50 minutes, and the No.4 and 5 would have the hardest jobs of all!

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
lol, but we're not on about Judah, we can't let it be thought that a scrum is a fair outcome from a mass brawl.

Can you imagine a Level 12 referee trying that, the players would crucify them and it would be an awful game for all. Judah is where he is because of his management, so it worked for him.

jboulet4648

Referees in America
Post Likes
Last Scottish Assessment

Here is the last one from George Murray

Attachments

• JBoulet140307.doc
    60.5 KB · Views: 15

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes I can.
I don't believe we should mandate courses of action because of the lowest common denominators. Your solution isn't being done to be equitable, it's because it's an easy route out of trouble.

If I felt that the circumstances warranted it, I'd be more than happy to start with a scrum. You don't give the scrum to the attacking team, you give it to the team in possession when you blew. There are times when the penalty is necessary and obvious; it shouldn't have to be our starting point however.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Clearly the North American naturalization program is more effective than first thought!

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
The attacking scrum is where the law says you should restart if no team was in possession, chances are after a mass brawl you may not quite remember who was in possession. all good if you do.

Looks like an agree to disagree thread, lol.

Robert Burns

Staff member
Post Likes
Seems you had a good consistent three games, hope they do well for your progression in the US.