Juggling ball now NOT in possession

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It seems

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Was it an early tackle that he was sanctioned for? Video and discussion not really clear.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Yes it was a tackle without ball as far as I'm aware.

Referee deemed it early before the ball was touched/played.

If he had been ' juggling' it would have been legal.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so juggling hasn't now been declared not in posession?

gotchya.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
In this case though tackling a juggler was a YC
though

Decorily: "Yes it was a tackle without ball as far as I'm aware.
Referee deemed it early before the ball was touched/played.
If he had been ' juggling' it would have been legal."

QED it wasnt juggling. It was an early tackle.

I must say having looked at the video it doesn't seem like an early tackle to me. tackle arrives /contacts as the ball is being cradled. Looks like a c0ck-up decision to me.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
That's an early tackle, not a juggle to be seen when the tackler makes first contact..

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
That's an early tackle, not a juggle to be seen when the tackler makes first contact..
so grounding ourselves in the Law.. I think the key laws are

9:14 A player must not tackle an opponent who is not in possession of the ball

so is he in possession

Possession An individual or team in control of the ball or who are attempting to bring it under control

So it doesn't seem to be about 'has he touched the ball' it's more about 'was he attempting to bring the ball under control' ?

He was doing that wasn't he?

I don't think this one is clear cut, really

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
actually frame by framing ...

1709133963460.png

yeah, thats a tackle before the receiver has touched that ball at all. OK - given the angle etc maybe he has a touch of a little finger on it - but it looks unlikely.

early tackle. PK, YC.

Job done.

but its not juggling as he hasnt played it yet. and certaily hasnt touched it, lost it and about to touch it again.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
actually frame by framing ...

View attachment 4754

yeah, thats a tackle before the receiver has touched that ball at all. OK - given the angle etc maybe he has a touch of a little finger on it - but it looks unlikely.

early tackle. PK, YC.

Job done.

but its not juggling as he hasnt played it yet. and certaily hasnt touched it, lost it and about to touch it again.
He wasn't juggling
But was he attempting to bring the ball under control (which is the actual test of possession)

smeagol

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
He wasn't juggling
But was he attempting to bring the ball under control (which is the actual test of possession)
IMO, he never had a chance to get the ball under control because of the tackle.

The YC/PT are because of where it happened - a try is probably scored if not for the offense.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
IMO, he never had a chance to get the ball under control because of the tackle.
I agree - but wouldn't we say exactly the the same about Tim Stimpson when he was tackled by Andre Vos

It's kinda the whole point. tackling someone who is attempting to control the ball is legal.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
It seems fairly clear that many of us accept that a player needs to have played the ball before they can be judged to be attempting to control it. I gave up trying to use my psychic powers even from 1m away a long time ago.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Surely a player can only be defined as 'attempting to control the ball' after having touched it.
I dunno? I think a lot happens before you touch the ball. But yes, I guess if we asked WR they might well say that

What about a charge down , I charge down the ball, touching it, and the ball bounces up into the air and I go to catch it .. am I in possession and ok to be tackled

It would be a good one to clarify with WR

BikingBud

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I dunno? I think a lot happens before you touch the ball. But yes, I guess if we asked WR they might well say that

What about a charge down , I charge down the ball, touching it, and the ball bounces up into the air and I go to catch it .. am I in possession and ok to be tackled

It would be a good one to clarify with WR
1709153696980.png
Griffin is the last member of the Archanan race, therefore the last who has the unique ability to foresee the infinite potential outcomes that are dependent on the actions taken in any given scenario.
Agent J : How's it going?

Griffin : How's it going? Well, that depends. For me personally, it's good. Things are good. Unless, of course, we're in the possible future where the muscle boy near the door gets into an argument with his girlfriend, which causes her to storm away and bump into the guy carrying the stuffed mushroom, who then dumps the tray onto those sailors on leave and a shoving match breaks out and they crash into the coffee table here. In which case, I gotta move my plate like right now.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
He wasn't juggling
we'll have to agree to disagree on the nuances of that. Because - for me - what if his hands were out but the ball still 1m away. I'm not buying that that is trying to bring the ball under control at that moment in time- so what's the difference between 1mm and 1000mm etc.