Kick at goal from own 22m

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Its an interesting scenario and some interesting answers. I think it can be taken for granted that the tactic is one designed to use up the last remaining 70 secs and while we may not like it, its a legitimate call. As OB said they merely have to kick at goal in order to satisfy the requirement. NOt being able to realistically make an 80m kick would be a very big call to penalise someone for.

Refusing to give the correct time when you are in a position to do so,is I feel giving an advantage to the other team that is clearly unfair,so too is "managing " the time so that there would be 10 secs left.

This backfired badly for the team in question,because they thought they were been smart but in effect hadnt thought it through properly.

Flipflop while I understand totally where you are coming from, when would you have blown for the free kick ? Just as he kicked it or when it landed 40m from the posts ? In this instance you would have ended up penalising the team you wanted to reward.

I think if we were to go down the route of deciding whats realistic and whats not we are putting ourselves in an awkward situation.

Camquin

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Except in 7s, there is nothing stopping a player place kicking into space - the only restriction is that they may not place kick into touch.
However, given they can punt to touch and get the throw, I am not sure why anyone would; and the arrival of the kicking tee, or sand, is usually taken as an indication that they are going for goal.

If you are aiming to regether the ball yourself I would have thought a drop kick was the correct approach, but if the opposition full back has been dropping the ball all match, making him field the ball and potentially gaininga scrum up field mightbe a legitmate tactic. Though not one I would use one point up with time nearly up.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Except in 7s, there is nothing stopping a player place kicking into space - the only restriction is that they may not place kick into touch.
However, given they can punt to touch and get the throw, I am not sure why anyone would; and the arrival of the kicking tee, or sand, is usually taken as an indication that they are going for goal.

If you are aiming to regether the ball yourself I would have thought a drop kick was the correct approach, but if the opposition full back has been dropping the ball all match, making him field the ball and potentially gaininga scrum up field mightbe a legitmate tactic. Though not one I would use one point up with time nearly up.

But the kicker is only allowed as much as a minute of the kick is "for goal". "...For any other type of kick, the kick must be taken without undue delay" (final sentence of Law 21.4(c).

Query whether calling for the tee or sand, and then kicking into space, meets that requirement.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
The point here is: The defending team were not really kicking at goal. They were using the "attempt" to waste time.

But it is a strange tactic. A kick to touch, and slow walk to the lineout, would also use up the last minute. Then they either get the ball back, maul and kick out, or the opposition win the ball, just like they would in the case of a failed shot at goal.

In the OP they deliberately gave the ball back to the trailing side. Strange.

(As for when to give the FK, if you were to go down that route - play advantage. None coming, then you come back for the FK. Advantage of the FK rather than the scrum, time expiring is irrelevant)

But lets be honest - manage this sort of tactic out of the game. The kicking team are clearly trying to waste time. They are clearly not having a proper shot at goal. Let's play rugby.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
They are clearly not having a proper shot at goal. Let's play rugby.

Isn't that exactly what they are doing by kicking the ball into the field of play? Playing rugby.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Isn't that exactly what they are doing by kicking the ball into the field of play? Playing rugby.

good point!
after all, it's more positive than trying to take a full minute deciding to kick to touch and walking to the line out...

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
But then why not just punt the ball? And not take a minute to line it up?

It is a dumb tactic if you ask me, with no upside, other than by falsely claiming to be kicking at goal to waste 60 seconds. (probably more).

Perhaps someone can explain why they allowed to place kick it (clearly not going for goal), what the tactical benefit is, and why they should be allowed to waste 60 seconds.

Side note: If there was (say) 55 seconds on the clock, and a team indicated kick at goal, and then just let the time run out, is the game over, or do you scrum? By law, I assume time is up. Which means you can end the game at a PK, without putting the ball into play. Useful tactic for teams - no lineout, no ball in play etc, and time off the clock. It is basically "taking a knee" to wind down the clock. And a team could do this anywhere? 5m from their own goal line?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Side note: If there was (say) 55 seconds on the clock, and a team indicated kick at goal, and then just let the time run out, is the game over, or do you scrum? By law, I assume time is up. Which means you can end the game at a PK, without putting the ball into play.

It's a good question. I guess time is up - UNLESS the referee is tempted to give a PK for unsportsmanlike behavior.

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
In response to FlipFlop's side note: Gut instinct answer (will check guidance etc. in a mo) would be that I would set the scrum. To me, it is in a sense similar to the situation of a scrum reset after time has expired - the phase of play must be completed. In this case, the phase of play is the taking of the kick which is not completed, so we use a scrum instead. Another parallel is the prohibition on kicking a kick-off /22do straight into touch after time has expired in order to try and end the game.

Last edited:

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade

Eventually...after soaking up a minute standing around and watching the clock.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Eventually...after soaking up a minute standing around and watching the clock.

but that can happen *every* PK, including all the PKs successfully kicked for goal. We've discussed this before, teams are entitled to take a full minute from when the tee arrives (which is actually very generous, and far more than anyone normally needs)

what's different here is that the kick is an unfeasible distance.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
but that can happen *every* PK, including all the PKs successfully kicked for goal. We've discussed this before, teams are entitled to take a full minute from when the tee arrives (which is actually very generous, and far more than anyone normally needs)

what's different here is that the kick is an unfeasible distance.

Teams are entitled to take a full minute when they kick for goal; that is the only PK they can take a minute over. All other PKs must be taken "without undue delay". If you're kicking for field position (which was the scenario in Phil E's comment to which I replied) therefore, you don't get a minute.