[Law] Kick hits corner post

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No, it isn't (though the sample size is very small).

Hang on. I agree with Talbazar's statement "Corner post is to the touch line what the goal post is to the try line". In effect, the goal post and corner post act the same way now since the 2008 ELVs and the 2009 law change...

► Ball striking the goal post or flag post and bouncing off into the field of play or into in-goal is still in play

► Ball grounded against goal post or flag post is dead (grounded in goal for the former, in touch or touch in goal for the latter)

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Hang on. I agree with Talbazar's statement "Corner post is to the touch line what the goal post is to the try line". In effect, the goal post and corner post act the same way now since the 2008 ELVs and the 2009 law change...

► Ball striking the goal post or flag post and bouncing off into the field of play or into in-goal is still in play

► Ball grounded against goal post or flag post is dead (grounded in goal for the former, in touch or touch in goal for the latter)
Point taken (I missed the subtlety).

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Keep It stupid Simple (KISS):

"Corner post is to the touch line what the goal post is to the try line."

Same behaviour in all ways.
Pierre.

Except that the corner flag divides four areas of the pitch (field of play, in-goal, touch, and touch in-goal) instead of just two (field of play and in-goal) and we are trying to determine which of the two, not relevant to the posts, the ball went, with two vastly different outcomes, dependent on small distances, notwithstanding that the corner post is rarely straight.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Except that the corner flag divides four areas of the pitch (field of play, in-goal, touch, and touch in-goal) instead of just two (field of play and in-goal) and we are trying to determine which of the two, not relevant to the posts, the ball went, with two vastly different outcomes, dependent on small distances, notwithstanding that the corner post is rarely straight.

In actual facts, the corner post divides two areas: touch and touch-in-goal and that only if the ball is grounded against the corner post.
Option 1: ball is grounded in the field of play and against the corner post --> touch
Option 2: ball is grounded in in-goal and against the corner post --> touch-in-goal

KISS :biggrin:

My 2 cents only,
Pierre.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
We can solve this by placing the corner flag outside the FOP in line with the back of the goal line. Then a ball striking the post has struck an object TIG. That wouldn't change a player striking it if if he was in the air and grounded the ball in-goal.

Too simple. I must be missing something.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Too simple. I must be missing something.
The fact that the corner post is a useful guide to players kicking for the corner?

I really don't see a problem with the current law.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'm with OB. I opened the thread for a clarification, and the "which side of the post" does the ball end up seems a decent and easy solution.

I'd add to OBs point that the post and flag is also a useful indicator for bnoth attackers and defenders in the corner whose attention may have to be on other things than the touchline. IMO. YMMV.

cheers!

didds