Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
No I wasn't ! read again....properly

You weren't the OP. This was.

Just wanted to check

I have always penalised a player who kicked the ball out of a ruck, even if no one has their hands on it.

Am I right? I can't find it in the laws

Play on, unless it's a dangerous kick and by that I mean he steps on a player on the ground etc.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Yes, I know it's not yet a ruck, but IMO this is a by-product of the practice of doing it!
http://www.rugbydump.com/2013/04/31...rney-with-clumsy-kick-to-the-head#allcomments

Massive stretch there. POC was on his feet and trying to keep the ball alive. Kearney was on the ground with his hands on the ball (last time I checked that was illegal), POC was the one being positive there IMO and he was just reckless. PK at the most, would be harsh to cop a ban for an accident there. He immediately showed concern for the player on the ground, which says to me he didn't mean it.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Kearney was on the ground with his hands on the ball (last time I checked that was illegal)
Kerney had gone to ground with the ball and was placing it back as is done many times in every game. I do hope you are not advocating penalising such play.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Kerney had gone to ground with the ball and was placing it back as is done many times in every game. I do hope you are not advocating penalising such play.

Not at all, I was just showing how ridiculous a leap of judgement could look.