Last Play of the Game

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
Where's your empathy for the players? Do you also keep the score secret?

You are right. I shouldn't be so secretive. I tie shoelaces for players, make sure they have mouthgards in before every scrum, I have all players go to one knee when another player is hurt. I certainly shouldn't expect them to do addition.

Maybe we should allow SH to put their hands in ruck to retrieve the ball.

Drift, they have brains, make them use their brains. Before you know it, they will believe that lifting in the L/O is reasonable

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Disagree. You're the only person who knows exactly how much is on the clock.

"Under a minute" could be 59 seconds or 5 - a big difference.

If Chris White can give the seconds, so can we. To do otherwise is a petty powerplay.

mark.lucas

Post Likes
Coming back to this thread a few thoughts.

It is very difficult (I think / hope) we can agree to convey the feel, nature and spirit of a game in the necessarily black and white / limited space of a forum. And none of the views expressed here are necessarily wrong but are probably influenced (perhaps more than we realise) by our last few games / when a similar incident occurred to us as referee.

For me, if there was not time for a line-out I would say "Less than a minute and no time for a line-out." That wasn't the original situation posed.

As for equity for White, we also have to balance that of Blue who almost finished the game on White's 5m - which in most situations means the score is secure.

As ever, you have to ref what's in front of you, and as long as your law is correct and game management consistent and equitable, then you're on the right path.

Right, I'm off to a neighbour's for a wine tasting and expect to see plenty of bees flying around my Inbox now that I've prodded with my big stick.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I think our views are based mostly on our understanding of the Laws (not a constant) and our experiences.

However, they are also influenced by our rugby view and our personalities. Although I have logged many an hour with the whistle I'm a coach with a coach's view of the game with the expected bias. At some point over the years I will have agreed and disagreed with every member of this forum.

What I have learned from this forum is a. I don't know the law as well as I thought b. respect the opinions of others even if I don't agree and c. civility on this forum is a virtue but not universally practiced.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
Re : Re: Last Play of the Game

[no player has ever asked 'how much time has elapsed so far?]

Happened to me a couple of weeks ago - and I also know the player who was asking was a recent Union convert...