Latest Hampshire Youth Variations table

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The Youth Variations table is something one of our members started and then maintained for a number of seasons. He is no longer active on the Society, so I have updated it myself for 2013-14.

We have asked the RFU a number of times to take over this task but with no success. We are uncomfortable with our single Society's internal reference document, written for our Society Referees and Club Youth Referees and Coaches, being used as a national reference document.

So I need our English colleagues help in checking my draft, especially those who are active in Youth Rugby - crossref please take this as a secret email :)

I have updated the document changing TOUCH with BIND, and removing the Maul Dropping column.

I have left the 45 degree wheel no turnover as it is for now, whilst RFU resolve their twisted knickers !

I am not aware of any other changes, is anyone else ? Or are there any errors you can see ?

Attachments

• HRURS_Youth Age Group Guide_13-14.pdf
    97.3 KB · Views: 82
  • HRURS_Youth Age Group Guide_12-13 with IRB LATs.pdf
    34.6 KB · Views: 36

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
The column for Equal/Min numbers has had some text truncated - as has the box on SqueezeBall for U19s

It's hard for you to issue this until the RFU come back on the 45 degree wheel situation. I am not sure how you can issue something that conflicts with RFU regs (even if youi beleive the regs were written wrongly)

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
maybe add in..... >50 pts at u13 to u18 [15.14.4 ] ................... U13 has 1.5m push missing

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
simon, 1] i'm not aware of any u16-u19 'scrum half feet offside' variation to 20.12 ....Q? both feet? also 2] i'm not agreeing that SH "placing a hand on the ball" = ball out of scrum...... the intention of keeping SH away from each other at u13-u15 is to get the game moving, & this interpretation acts contrary to this....................... once it's completed I'd welcome a copy as it's useful :clap:

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
The column for Equal/Min numbers has had some text truncated - as has the box on SqueezeBall for U19s

It's hard for you to issue this until the RFU come back on the 45 degree wheel situation. I am not sure how you can issue something that conflicts with RFU regs (even if you beleive the regs were written wrongly)

thanks for the truncation spots.

no crossref it is easy to issue it - just watch me, I will just add a note. We will retain the wheel same side put in guidance, especially as I spend a lot of time with Dave Brosdwell getting it clarified some years ago. I have already asked RFU to clarify urgently.

it is a Hampshire document and the previous season's version is on most changing rooms doors around the county, so it needs to go out.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
cool.
I guess i am taking the same approach, TBH, certainly I haven't told anyone in my club to take a look at the RFU regs. I am just sitting on it.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
maybe add in..... >50 pts at u13 to u18 [15.14.4 ] ................... U13 has 1.5m push missing

Browner - thanks. I.5m U13 added. We left 50 points out as it only applies to specific competitions.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
simon, 1] i'm not aware of any u16-u19 'scrum half feet offside' variation to 20.12 ....Q? both feet? also 2] i'm not agreeing that SH "placing a hand on the ball" = ball out of scrum...... the intention of keeping SH away from each other at u13-u15 is to get the game moving, & this interpretation acts contrary to this....................... once it's completed I'd welcome a copy as it's useful :clap:

Browner - thanks again.

Scrum half both feet is a reminder, not variant (RFU advice 6 years ago). I agree with hands on - should be emerging only !

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
... and again I will thank the people who make this document available to other societies / areas. my club is one of those who have on the changing room doors and notice boards, and very useful it is.

Simon - it's very much appreciated.

Blindpugh

Referees in England
Post Likes
Hi Simon,

Good job on updating Hampshire RURS under 19 matrix.

Only observations would be:-

1. Crouch, Bind, Set is an IRB Global (ELV?) trial for season 2013/14

2.Yellow card protocol for Backs and Forwards has been reduced

2012/ 13 For safety reasons weight must be distributed evenly. If 7 players
then formation would be 3 (front row) and 4 with no No.8
Min number in a pack = 5
NB. IRB ruling - if a back is dismissed (YC/ RC) then scrums remain
with 8 forwards. If a forward dismissed scrum must be even i.e. 7.

Offending side will often try to "manage" situation.

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
Simon

The area that surprised me when doing my Sat evening homework through the IRB written Laws, compared to the HRURS pour memoire sheet, was 20.9(k) - ball to be released from scrum when it has reached the base (must not be intentionally kept in the scrum once heeled and controlled at the base). I don't suppose that it arises very often, and would penalised (FK) far less.

john g

Referees in England
Post Likes
Browner - thanks again.

Scrum half both feet is a reminder, not variant (RFU advice 6 years ago). I agree with hands on - should be emerging only !

Yes please I had this said at a refs brief on the weekend, along with the attacking side can be also on the back foot at the scrum.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
For clarity/avoidance of doubt etc I would include YES 9 after SET

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Thanks to all further input and especially to Blind Pugh who is the original author of it all

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Blindpugh:253391 said:
NB. IRB ruling - if a back is dismissed (YC/ RC) then scrums remain
with 8 forwards. If a forward dismissed scrum must be even i.e. 7.

Offending side will often try to "manage" situation.

But that ruling is flawed, as there is no definition of forward or back
Scenarios
.. From the kick off you RC a player for a spear tackle, he is wearing #19. How many in the scrum
.. #3 goes of for a blood injury and is replaced by #20 who is not STE so you play uncontested scrums. #20 is then carded, but #3 is ready to come back again. How many in the scrum.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
But that ruling is flawed, as there is no definition of forward or back
Scenarios
.. From the kick off you RC a player for a spear tackle, he is wearing #19. How many in the scrum
.. #3 goes of for a blood injury and is replaced by #20 who is not STE so you play uncontested scrums. #20 is then carded, but #3 is ready to come back again. How many in the scrum.
If such rare circumstances arise, I suggest you discuss the issue with the coaches and use your judgement.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Simon, I've just had a thought ..... do Girls U13-U19 variations differ at all , ie should these be called Boys u13-u19 variations guides ?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
:biggrin:
Simon, I've just had a thought ..... do Girls U13-U19 variations differ at all , ie should these be called Boys u13-u19 variations guides ?

:norc: :biggrin:

that is why it will now say Youth Rugby - the girls' law variations are slightly different and cover (or at least used to) just two compound age groups of U15 and U18, and are on the RFUW site (or used to be) - not sure we really want to go down that road.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
hi Simon -- is there a finalised version we can use ?