Latest report

upnunder

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I try to vary it as well, and stand where I can get the best view, depending on the situation.

In my earlier career, before I improved my fitness, I would sometimes give myself a little bit of a headstart, and stand more towards the back, so I was closer to the next breakdown when the ball went wide.
Obviously I would never consider that now.

Again, I have some assessors telling me to be at the back more, some preferring me to be at the front.

I prefer position 2 on the whole, but will stand at 1 regularly to get a good view of the front, especially if there are adverse weather conditions, and the ball is only going to the front jumpers, or if we are inside the 22, and a move up the front is likely.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I try to vary it as well, and stand where I can get the best view, depending on the situation.

I suggest "move" rather than "stand". If you stay rooted to the spot you are probably not getting the best view.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
i agree with OB - and that movement is crucial, don't stay atatic.

Also to be honest, as an assessor I don't care where you stand. However you had better not miss anything that is material ..............

delayed or dummied throw
didn't go 5m
receiver's not 2m
not straight
early jump triggers and early jumps
numbers
oppo to thrower not 2m x 2m
lines not 1m apart
along the line offences
across the line offences
either back line not staying 10m on caught ball
etc

ex-lucy

Referees in England
Post Likes
the otehr reason why i like standing at the front is late hits on Scrum half (got to love scrum halves getting a dose) ... by player through line out or hooker running round ... can see it develop and manage it. and it happens quite alot
as opposed to at the back .. where i blv you may miss it

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
the otehr reason why i like standing at the front is late hits on Scrum half (got to love scrum halves getting a dose) ... by player through line out or hooker running round ... can see it develop and manage it. and it happens quite alot
as opposed to at the back .. where i blv you may miss it

I used to play "catch me if you can" with the lard arses, but did get quite a few good stuffings when getting caught off poor tapped ball.

Solution :

1. attend training every time and work with all line-out drills, and get the service as you want it
2. insist on caught ball only initially, until you have total trust with a jumper that he can tap accurately "off the top"
3. insist on front and back pincers clearers to sweep round to either

a) actually clear up sh*t ball for you
b) be there to support you if you do have to actually clear it up yourself

4. point out to the referee how quickly they got through on you, even if they were totally legal

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
You forgot something else to insist on Simon.....

Insist that all taps come down in front of you within an arc of about 120 degrees.

Nothing worse than the tap over your head.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

Insist that all taps come down in front of you within an arc of about 120 degrees.

Too right Rit - and it was very easy to put it over my head !

Ball into hands were the only acceptable taps

I usually stood up to 1-2m back anyway(this was back in 1970s / 80s), to give me room to come forward if necessary, especially on ywo and four man line-outs, and on appropriate calls I never wanted to be in the way of the peel moves.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
But when the 9 upsets his locks then he can expect a lot of taps off the top requiring him to reach high and expose his ribcage...

I would have recommnede the opposite sides to Ian Cook - standing where indictated but on the attacking side - maybe defensive side if close to defending line, but in a place where I can get behind/beside the action if it's driven slowly.

I don't think the zipper is a good place to be, but do see a lot of refs, especially those just after ELRA who seem to want to be there at every throw.

And the best counter to sneaky 9s telling the guys where you are is to move.

Being on the move all the time is a good thing anyway. - See Simon Smith and his amazing happy feet.

Rit Hinners

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Too right ST... standing short of 5'6" myself I always stood further back for tap ball. I always preferred to be going forward to catch as opposed to be backing up.

I never had any problems with my forwards. I happily cleaned up any messes they made on the pitch and always gave them the ball back going forward. After all that, I might remember that there was a backline

I've always loved that quote attributed to Bath Rugby...
"The forwards shall win the ball.
The forwards shall keep the ball.
The backs shall buy the beer."

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
I don't think the zipper is a good place to be, but do see a lot of refs, especially those just after ELRA who seem to want to be there at every throw.

It's very useful for minis.

Visibility for the ref isn't a problem (as the ref is generally a foot or two taller than the players) and it gives the hooker something to aim at.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Whereas a tap* on the head is good for water on the brain.