Law Amendment Trials

coonor

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Previously the furthest up the pitch you could be (towards where player wants to score) was where the ball went out of play. Now it can be the 'line of touch'. If you imagine, a kick was put out on the full, just outside the 22m, then line of touch could be say 50m more advantageous than where ball went out of play. Trust that makes sense!

Re the studs, it looks to me that they are effectively saying a single toe stud boot design is now acceptable.

Of course that makes sense now! Cheers

No, they are definitely not saying that.

What they are saying is that the boot shown (which is an Adidias boot) is a single exception to the rule.

I wonder how much money Adidas might have "donated" to the IRB?

So the boots shown in the attached image are exempt to the single front stud regulation?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Also, can we get a campaign for all of this, very important stuff, to be posted by the iRB on their website?
It's one thing communicating (badly) to referees - who eventually get the message. It's quite another thing communicating (or failing completely to communicate) to the masses. The average punter or even regular watcher will not have a clue of these ELVs.

Chunky - we have been through this before in previous seasons. The IRB sends to Home Unions, in our case RFU. The RFU have sent very promptly already to Societies and CBs, and will follow up with Guidance material in July (so said our Southern RFU Ref Manager at lasy week's AGM). Then it is up to Societies to inform their members; KML1 has already announced our pre-season Hampshire meeting in August to discuss ELVs - to which we will pro-actively invite all Hampshire Club Refs via CB & CRefDevMgr.

I am sure Brian, Peter and Malcolm will be doing the necessaries for Bucks - and indeed Malcom with me will be involved in setting up the Federation pre-season as we did last year. Plus Panel and Group will have updates form their management too.

CBs and CRefDevMgrs inform CRefCs / Club Refs / Club Secretaries - so all involved in playing-coaching-officiating will know.

I do agree IRB should maybe do more than they do on their website for the general public, journalists and especially match commentators ! But to be fair that had a pretty comprehensive news item on there.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
... So the boots shown in the attached image are exempt to the single front stud regulation?
My guess is that the boot is legal because the stud is offset, and not at the point where it could do most damage ie right at the front. It's irrelevant surely who made the boot.

Last edited:

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
And it's irrelevant that it's slightly offset. C'mon IRB, show some common sense, allow the single stub and move on.