Law changes for this season?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I honestly apologise if this has been covered, but I've been having internet problems at home and at work. The net result is that I haven't been here for a good few weeks. And until BT replace my Sky broadband, the only access I have is an iPhone which isn't ideal.

Is there a simple list of law changes for this new season? I did print a file from here about 2 months ago and it's already different to the App on my iPhone.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I honestly apologise if this has been covered, but I've been having internet problems at home and at work. The net result is that I haven't been here for a good few weeks. And until BT replace my Sky broadband, the only access I have is an iPhone which isn't ideal.

Is there a simple list of law changes for this new season? I did print a file from here about 2 months ago and it's already different to the App on my iPhone.

Try this taff...
http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?17976-New-Season-what-s-new&highlight=2014+laws

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Thanks Browner but that link won't let me in. It says

... you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Odd, because normally I get full access.

Last edited:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Crossref said:
o what's new in RFU-land since last season ?

So far as I can tell the only new stuff since last season is --

- IRB guidance (May) on when it's out (= when the #9 lifts it up)
- IRB Clarification (May) on knock-ons in the tackle
- IRB 'clarification' (July) on decision to skip a conversion

anything else? (any secret emails I have missed? )

7 responses only confirmed that he had not, in fact, missed anything

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
There have been clarifications, which are on the IRB Laws website, but no law changes, amendments or trials that weren't around last season....AFAIK.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Thanks Phil and Dixie.

At scrums, has "Yes 9" been ditched, in favour of "No Delay. As soon as the front rows have come together, the scrum half must throw in the ball without delay."

It looks to me as though it has been changed. That will affect us all.

Last edited:

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
"yes 9" was ditched some time ago in favour of a tap on the back or a nod/point (if on the other side of the scrum)

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Thanks Phil and Dixie.

At scrums, has "Yes 9" been ditched, in favour of "No Delay. As soon as the front rows have come together, the scrum half must throw in the ball without delay."

It looks to me as though it has been changed. That will affect us all.

'Yes 9' was ditched abruptly in January.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
"yes 9" was ditched some time ago in favour of a tap on the back or a nod/point (if on the other side of the scrum)
It looks like even that has now been ditched. No mention of a tap on the back or pointing any more.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It looks like even that has now been ditched. No mention of a tap on the back or pointing any more.

this is where we get in the realms of national and local custom and intepretation - 'yes-9' was never in the Law either.

the tap on the back is the way we are being told to do it in RFU-Land. I assume it's the same in Wales, but you'd know better.

My orriginal post that Dixie quotes above was in the ENGLAND section, as I wanted to talk specifically about IRB and RFU guidelines (which is why you couldn't see it).

In England we are NOT doing 'no delay' we are still doing 'when I tell you' with the tap, or gesture (and then no delay).
This hasn't changed for 2014/15 it's the same as last season.

Aside : at my game last week I was asked 'when is it out' and I said : actually there's a new IRB video on their website on this ... it's when the SH lifts it.

I was pleased and a little surprised that many of them knew about the video already.

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Aside : at my game last week I was asked 'when is it out' and I said : actually there's a new IRB video on their website on this ... it's when the SH lifts it.

I was pleased and a little surprised that many of them knew about the video already.

Grrrrrrrrrrr
IRB couldn't make something clear if their lives depended on it.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes

Sir, are you operating the 2D or 3D removal model? ......... :)

Seriously though, It's a shame that such matters aren't cascaded efficiently from the RFU, in England getting to club players via coach/CCC/CDM can't be that tricky.

I only ever hear about such things via the referee networking cascade, never through the coaching one, and I've only been coaching for...... X .. years

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
I only ever hear about such things via the referee networking cascade, never through the coaching one, and I've only been coaching for...... X .. years

Where X = a value of what?

Or do you want to give us a formulae and leave us to hark back on schoolboy algebra?