Law clarification 4/2015 : Full time whistle, but AR has his flag in...

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
You think the Law committee mentioned FK because they had time wasting in mind?
:)

Why, do you think, did they mention restarting with a mark?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Just as your good self, I do not know what they are thinking. I would guess they have copied and pasted from the law below without thinking.

Law 5.7(e) reinforces this:
If time expires and the ball is not dead, or an awarded scrum or lineout has not been completed, the referee allows play to continue until the next time that the ball becomes dead. The ball becomes dead when the referee would have awarded a scrum, lineout, an option to the non-infringing team, drop out or after a conversion or successful penalty kick at goal. If a scrum has to be reset, the scrum has not been completed. If time expires and a mark, free kick or penalty kick is then awarded, the referee allows play to continue.

The possibilities where the AR could (however unlikely) step in.

1 Foul play on the blind side not seen by the Ref. So AR calls it in as the ref is blowing. Result allow the PK even though whistle has gone.

2 Time wasting occurs not seen by the referee again it is called in as the ref is blowing and we restart with a FK.

3 Player calls a mark and runs into touch away from the oncoming opposition. The ref does not hear the call ( the AR does) the referee does not allow the Lineout as out of time. The AR calls him to say there was a mark called. We restart with the mark being awarded.

Indeed 2 & 3 are highly unlikely but they are not impossible. At lease it they ever happen we will not need yet another ruling.

To be honest, I'm not sure why your making an issue of this. It makes perfect sense t oalow a cal the change just as we would after awarding a try if the AR pointed out a foot in touch but we only see his flag after awarding the try. It's all about making the correct call. That WR have either covered all the bases (for once) or have not proof read their response it secondary to the important issue.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I just think it's pretty rubbish that the law committee make mistakes in law.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Have they? All three are technically possible, however unlikely.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Have they? All three are technically possible, however unlikely.

go on then, what's the scenario where the ref blows for full time, realises the AR has his flag in for foul play or intentional offending ... and the ref restarts the game ..... with a mark

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I've already answered how a mark could restart the game after time. You know exactly ehat they are saying. Yes it is poorly written but the law book is a whole example of a badly worded document.

Knock yourself out with this nonsense.