Law Test

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Hi All,

We had a very challenging law test at our weekly meeting last week. Anyone fancy a go at it?

1 - Blue winger in possession deliberately knees the ball over the heads of the advancing White defenders, regains the ball and dives over in the corner. Decision?

2 - Red have a scrum on the Blue 5 metre line, Reds No 8 picks the ball up and bumps into the referee, the opposition players are 2 metres away and are affected by the collision. The No 8 passes the ball to the No 14 who
scores in the corner. Decision?

3 - Can you make a tackle if you are on the deck?

4 - At a restart from the halfway line Blue 10 drop kicks the ball and it travels over the 10 metre line but the wind catches it midair and blows it back to before the 10 metre line where blue 7 catches it. Decision?

5 -Red 15 is in his 22 and runs forward to kick left footed for touch. As he does so, his right foot is on his 22 metre line. He kicks directly into the arms of an opposition player who is standing with one foot on the touch line. The ball has not crossed the plane of touch. Who gets the put-in and where?

6 - The ball is passed to blue No 10 who is standing in in-goal, he clears the ball which crosses the goal line but is charged down by red No 7 and goes dead. As he charges the ball down and it goes dead, he follows through with an elbow and catches blue No 10 in the chin. Decision?

7 -Blue No 10 kicks for the corner. The ball bounces inches from the corner and hits the corner flag. As the ball bounces, but before it hits the corner flag Red No 6 late tackles Blue No 10. Decision?

8 - The ball is kicked down the pitch and comes to rest just in front of the 22 metre line. Blue No 15 reaches forward and plucks the ball back into the 22 and kicks the ball to an opponent who has one foot in touch and catches it on the full. Whose put in and where?

9 - When can the defensive back line encroach the 10 metre law at the line-out before the lineout is over?

10 - At what point does the scrum begin?

11 - A free kick is awarded 8 metres into in-goal (its a big ingoal). Where must the opposition stand?

12 - Blue 10 kicks off and the ball bobbles in front of the goal line, Red No15 reaches out and grabs the ball and grounds it over the goal line. Decision?

13 - Blue team throw in at the line-out 5m from their goal-line. They put four players into the lineout, three at the front and one on the 15m line.
They throw in. Blue No 6 who is standing on the 15m line catches the ball. His props bind onto him along with the Red forwards, thus
forming a Maul. Immediately four of the Blue forwards cross the goal line and start to drive the group of players ahead. Decision?

14 - Blue out-half kicks a kick at goal. Red No 4 reaches up and palms the ball down before it can rise and go over the bar. Decision?

15 - Can you charge down a freekick. If so, at what point?

16 - Blue No 6 passes the ball to Blue No 13 who is 10 metres from the opposition line. As he passes to Blue No 14 who has a free run to the
line Red No 12 deliberately knocks on the ball before No 14 can catch it. Decision?

17 -At an under 17 match blue team are awarded a scrum, the hooker successfully heels the ball to the back of the scrum and the number 8
controls the ball at the base and the blue team push 1m with the no. 8 controlling the ball at the base. Is this legal.

18 - Blue No 6 has a blood injury and is replaced by No 19, who is sent off for Foul play after 10 minutes. NO 6 is ready to go back on after 14 minutes and Blue want to take off No 8. Can they do this?

19 - The throwing in team at a lineout put 7 in the lineout. The defence say them only want to put in 5. Is this legal?

20 - Blue No 15 is tactically substituted by No 22 after 50 minutes. This is the only substitution that has been made when after 60 minutes No 22 gets a blood injury and Blue want to put No 15 back on. Can they do this?

If anyone manages 20/20 without a law book I will be amazed (and probably call them a jobsworth :) )

JonnoNeath

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
I'll give it a whirl :Nerv:

1) I'd be tempted to play on.

2) I can't think of a fair outcome for this as a team is likely to be disadvantaged either way but I'd go for a scrum with another red put in.

3) No. (Have I got one right yet :Looser:)

4) Play on.

5) All is well, lineout to opposition (not red) in line with where his foot was planted in touch.

6) 22 Drop-Out unless there was some intention to hurt there (can't tell from the question).

7) Penalty kick to red - option of penalty from where the ball was kicked or from the intersection of the 5m line and 15m line.

8) Lineout to the opposition in line with where the blue player made the kick (just inside the 22).

9) When the lineout is between 5 to 9.9m from their own goal line.

10) When the ball leaves the hands of the scrum half :Nerv:

11) 15m from the goal line (the mark is on the 5m line).

12) Options available to red: blue take the kick again, scrum back at the centre of halfway line or take the drop-out.

13) Penalty to red on the 5m line - lineout doesn't end until the hindmost foot of the maul leaves the line of touch. Players have advanced beyond the offside line.

14) Another penalty is awarded -- I'd be tempted to move the mark of the penalty to be in line with the new infringement if it is a more favourable position.

15) Yes, as soon as the kick taker approaches to kick.

16) Penalty try awarded (if it is a free run as you say) and a YC to the player who deliberately knocked the ball on.

17) No, the number 8 or scrum half must use the ball immediately, the ball can't be controlled at the base of the scrum.

18) I can't see why not. :Nerv:

19) Yep, play on -- the defence can have from between 2 players to the number of players put in by the team throwing in. There is no requirement for the numbers to be even, the defending team are only prohibited from putting more players into the lineout than the team throwing in.

20) Yes.

Phew!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
1 - Blue winger in possession deliberately knees the ball over the heads of the advancing White defenders, regains the ball and dives over in the corner. Decision? Technically PK against, as deliberate throw forward to get the ball onto the knee. There's a convention of dispensation when kicking, but this is not a kick, so no dispensation. Few would object to play on, however.

2 - Red have a scrum on the Blue 5 metre line, Reds No 8 picks the ball up and bumps into the referee, the opposition players are 2 metres away and are affected by the collision. The No 8 passes the ball to the No 14 who
scores in the corner. Decision? Try, unless the ball rather than the ball carrier touched the ref

3 - Can you make a tackle if you are on the deck? No. PK against tackler

4 - At a restart from the halfway line Blue 10 drop kicks the ball and it travels over the 10 metre line but the wind catches it midair and blows it back to before the 10 metre line where blue 7 catches it. Decision? Play on

5 -Red 15 is in his 22 and runs forward to kick left footed for touch. As he does so, his right foot is on his 22 metre line. He kicks directly into the arms of an opposition player who is standing with one foot on the touch line. The ball has not crossed the plane of touch. Who gets the put-in and where? Blue throw on the 22m line.
6 - The ball is passed to blue No 10 who is standing in in-goal, he clears the ball which crosses the goal line but is charged down by red No 7 and goes dead. As he charges the ball down and it goes dead, he follows through with an elbow and catches blue No 10 in the chin. Decision? Not enough info given. Was the elbow foul play or accidental? Was the ball dead at the time of contact? Assuming both, then PK and card against red 7 for the dangerous foul play, 5m out and 15m in.
7 -Blue No 10 kicks for the corner. The ball bounces inches from the corner and hits the corner flag. As the ball bounces, but before it hits the corner flag Red No 6 late tackles Blue No 10. Decision? Corner flag is a red herring. Standard late tackle option: PK at place of the kick, or at place where the ball landed. As this was within 15m of the touchline, adn within 5m of the goal line, then the latter option is 5m out and 15m in

8 - The ball is kicked down the pitch and comes to rest just in front of the 22 metre line. Blue No 15 reaches forward and plucks the ball back into the 22 and kicks the ball to an opponent who has one foot in touch and catches it on the full. Whose put in and where? No-one's put-in. It's a Red throw-in just inside the 22m in line with the kick

9 - When can the defensive back line encroach the 10 metre law at the line-out before the lineout is over? when it is clear the ball is being thrown over the 15m line; and also when the lineout is within 10m of the goal line

10 - At what point does the scrum begin? when the ball leaves the SH's hands

11 - A free kick is awarded 8 metres into in-goal (its a big ingoal). Where must the opposition stand? This may not have reflected the 2011 change. A FK cannot be awarded there; it must be awarded on the 5m line, so oppo must stand 15m back from the goal line

12 - Blue 10 kicks off and the ball bobbles in front of the goal line, Red No15 reaches out and grabs the ball and grounds it over the goal line. Decision? Good question! The law is ambiguous. On the one hand, application of the "rolling ball" rule suggests the ball went straight into in-goal, having been picked up by a player in in-goal - so option of scrum or kick again. On the other, the relevant law applies only if it goes into in-goal without touching a player - and the player touched it before it crossed the line. I'd go with consistency with the rolling ball principle and offer the option - and expect to be shot down!

13 - Blue team throw in at the line-out 5m from their goal-line. They put four players into the lineout, three at the front and one on the 15m line.
They throw in. Blue No 6 who is standing on the 15m line catches the ball. His props bind onto him along with the Red forwards, thus
forming a Maul. Immediately four of the Blue forwards cross the goal line and start to drive the group of players ahead. Decision? Assuming that we are still within the 15m, PK against the Blue non-lineout forwards for offside. PK on the 5m line

14 - Blue out-half kicks a kick at goal. Red No 4 reaches up and palms the ball down before it can rise and go over the bar. Decision? Goal. Penalty restart?

15 - Can you charge down a freekick. Yes If so, at what point? Once the kicker starts his run-up

16 - Blue No 6 passes the ball to Blue No 13 who is 10 metres from the opposition line. As he passes to Blue No 14 who has a free run to the
line Red No 12 deliberately knocks on the ball before No 14 can catch it. Decision? PT, possible :noyc: against Red 12. Assumes that this "free run to the line" means no defenders likely to interfere

17 -At an under 17 match blue team are awarded a scrum, the hooker successfully heels the ball to the back of the scrum and the number 8
controls the ball at the base and the blue team push 1m with the no. 8 controlling the ball at the base. Is this legal. No - the ball must not be kept at #8's feet

18 - Blue No 6 has a blood injury and is replaced by No 19, who is sent off for Foul play after 10 minutes. NO 6 is ready to go back on after 14 minutes and Blue want to take off No 8. Can they do this? Dunno - I'd say no. #19 is #6's proxy, and has got #6 sent off

19 - The throwing in team at a lineout put 7 in the lineout. The defence say them only want to put in 5. Is this legal? Yes

20 - Blue No 15 is tactically substituted by No 22 after 50 minutes. This is the only substitution that has been made when after 60 minutes No 22 gets a blood injury and Blue want to put No 15 back on. Can they do this? yes

[/FONT][/SIZE]If anyone manages 20/20 without a law book I will be amazed (and probably call them a jobsworth :) )
How's that - no law book, I promise. Who's marking it?

Last edited:

Donal1988

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Sorry guys thought it was clear. In Q6 it is foul play.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
OK, here goes, no law book used. :Nerv: :Nerv: :Nerv:

1. Play on - Try scored.
2. No try, restart with a scrum to Red at the point of the collision.
3. Assuming on deck means off feet? No, Penalty Kick.
4. Play on.
5. Line Out where opposition caught it, their put in.
6. Blue PK restart (possibly YC), on the 22.
7. Blue PK at point of infringement (where he hit him), or where the ball landed (moved to 5m line and 15m line intersection).
8. Assuming Blue 15 is in the 22 and the ball stopped? Its taken back, so Line Out level with where Blue 15 kicked it from, opposition throw.
9. Ball thrown over 15m, throwing in side run forward to intercept it. Defence may then do the same.
10. When ball hits the floor from the put in.
11. 15m from the goal line, FK taken from the 5m line.
12. Assume bobbling ball means still moving? Kick again or scrum on half way option.
13. Red PK (on 5m line) for offside.
14. What type of kick at goal? Conversion = no goal (charge down). PK = retake. Drop goal = play on (charge down).
15. Yes, after it is kicked.
16. Penalty Try and YC.
17. No, can't hold it at the base in U19 laws. FK.
18. Yes.
19. Yes.
20. As a blood sub, yes.

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
Replies in bold.

Hi All,

We had a very challenging law test at our weekly meeting last week. Anyone fancy a go at it?

1 - Blue winger in possession deliberately knees the ball over the heads of the advancing White defenders, regains the ball and dives over in the corner. Decision?

I would say play on.

Scrum to red at place of collision (or 5 meters from goal line if closer than 5) - can't play advantage for ball or ball carrier hitting the referee.

No - rugby is a game to be played by players on their feet covers this.

4 - At a restart from the halfway line Blue 10 drop kicks the ball and it travels over the 10 metre line but the wind catches it midair and blows it back to before the 10 metre line where blue 7 catches it. Decision?

Play on - ball has to travel 10 meters, nothing to say it has to stay there.

5 -Red 15 is in his 22 and runs forward to kick left footed for touch. As he does so, his right foot is on his 22 metre line. He kicks directly into the arms of an opposition player who is standing with one foot on the touch line. The ball has not crossed the plane of touch. Who gets the put-in and where?

Line out to blue where it was caught - red having a foot on 22 means he is inside.

6 - The ball is passed to blue No 10 who is standing in in-goal, he clears the ball which crosses the goal line but is charged down by red No 7 and goes dead. As he charges the ball down and it goes dead, he follows through with an elbow and catches blue No 10 in the chin. Decision?

I assume you mean the foul play happens after the ball had gone dead. If so it is a PK where play would have restarted. Since play would have restarted with a 5 meter scrum (ball taken into in goal by blue) it is 5 meters out, in line with where the ball went dead (regardless of any 15 meter in from touchline consideration).

7 -Blue No 10 kicks for the corner. The ball bounces inches from the corner and hits the corner flag. As the ball bounces, but before it hits the corner flag Red No 6 late tackles Blue No 10. Decision?

PK to Blue, option of place of incident or 5 meters out and 15 in from touchline. YC to red 6 if he was so late that he tackled him only as the ball bounced!

8 - The ball is kicked down the pitch and comes to rest just in front of the 22 metre line. Blue No 15 reaches forward and plucks the ball back into the 22 and kicks the ball to an opponent who has one foot in touch and catches it on the full. Whose put in and where?

Ball has come to rest so taken back in by blue (were it still moving it wouldn't be). Red line out on the 22 meter line.

9 - When can the defensive back line encroach the 10 metre law at the line-out before the lineout is over?

No idea.

Who cares? (NB: I consider this a technical question with no real life application.)

11 - A free kick is awarded 8 metres into in-goal (its a big ingoal). Where must the opposition stand?

2 meters out I would have thought. I shall stick to this despite a nagging feeling they may be able to stand on the goal line. I don't believe anyone would complain with 2 meters out. :)

12 - Blue 10 kicks off and the ball bobbles in front of the goal line, Red No15 reaches out and grabs the ball and grounds it over the goal line. Decision?

If ball still moving when red picks it up (I presume this is the aim of the question) then ball has been put into in-goal by blue. If red grounds it immediately then they have the option of a 22 drop-out, kick-again or scrum on the centre of half-way line.

forming a Maul. Immediately four of the Blue forwards cross the goal line and start to drive the group of players ahead. Decision?

Given blue only had 4 in the line-out, it seems blue players have joined the maul from the backline, presumably before all players involved crossed the line of touch. Assuming I've read the question correctly, PK to red 15 meters in and 15 meters out from goal-line (where the offensive back-line was meant to be).

14 - Blue out-half kicks a kick at goal. Red No 4 reaches up and palms the ball down before it can rise and go over the bar. Decision?

Deliberate knock-on (presuming ball went forward) so PK against red. Probably YC. Although I do remember a few french sides getting cute and doing some lifting to prevent long-range PKs. This was outlawed. I now can't remember if it was outlawed to prevent a PK at goal. I stand by my original answer. PK to blue 5 meters out in front of posts and YC red 4.

Yes, as soon as he starts his approach to kick. Note this is not the case with a PK.

line Red No 12 deliberately knocks on the ball before No 14 can catch it. Decision?

PT and YC.

controls the ball at the base and the blue team push 1m with the no. 8 controlling the ball at the base. Is this legal.

No, they must get it out as soon as it's won.

18 - Blue No 6 has a blood injury and is replaced by No 19, who is sent off for Foul play after 10 minutes. NO 6 is ready to go back on after 14 minutes and Blue want to take off No 8. Can they do this?

I think so.

19 - The throwing in team at a lineout put 7 in the lineout. The defence say them only want to put in 5. Is this legal?

Yes, they may choose to put in less.

20 - Blue No 15 is tactically substituted by No 22 after 50 minutes. This is the only substitution that has been made when after 60 minutes No 22 gets a blood injury and Blue want to put No 15 back on. Can they do this?

Harlequins did it... so yes I think.

If anyone manages 20/20 without a law book I will be amazed (and probably call them a jobsworth :) )

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
Apologies misread Q 13 so would like to ammend answer to PK on 5 meters (for some strange reason I thought blue were attacking...)

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Fingers crossed!

1. Knock forward as not a kick (knee and heel are excluded) and has lost possession – scrum to white.

2. Provided the ball touched the referee – scrum to red, where the ball touched the referee (otherwise play on).

3. No – game is to be played by players on their feet.

4. Play on – key phrase is “travels over the 10 metre line”.

5. Opposition player is in touch (in RFU). Provided he caught the ball it is a lineout to the opposition in line with where the ball went into touch (as red 15 has his right foot on 22 metre line so inside 22). This is unless the ball was taken back into the 22 by red and no tackle or ruck has occurred inside.

6. 22 drop out – red 7 put the ball into in-goal. Provided elbow is part of charge down.

7. Ball is not in touch so depending on whether a try would have probably have been scored PT and YC to red 6, or PK 5 metres out from goal line, 15 metres from touch.

8. Ball was stationary so blue 15 has taken it into 22. Line out to opponent, in line with where blue 15 kicked it.

9. When the attacking back line have encroached to take a long throw at a lineout (beyond 15m).

10. Scrum begins when the front rows come together (E of engage).

11. Neither a FK nor PK can be awarded in in-goal anymore (December 1st 2010). Mark for the FK would be 5 metres away from the goal line, in line with the place where the FK is awarded. Opposition must therefore 10 metres away, 15 metres away from their opponents’ goal line.

12. Ball was moving when red 15 picks the ball up. Provided red 15 had one (or part of a) foot in in-goal then the normal options should be offered (scrum on halfway or kick off again).

13. If the maul meant the lineout wasn’t over (i.e. hindmost foot hadn’t crossed line of touch) then the blue forwards in the backline are offside PK to Red 5 metres from the goal line, in line with where the Blue forwards came from.

14. Provided his arms were below the line of shoulders; was quiet and did nothing to distract the kicker before the ball was kicked, play on. The goal can still be awarded if the ball travels above the crossbar and between the posts if the ball has not touched the ground.

15. Yes you can charge down a FK once the kicker has commenced his run up to kick.

16. PT and YC to Red 12, as a try would probably have been scored.

17. Once the ball has been controlled at the base in any U19 game the ball must be used without delay. Subsequently driving after control at base of scrum is illegal and is a FK infringement.

18. No as it isn’t a blood reversal. When Blue 19 was sent off that blood substitution became a permanent replacement.

19. Yes this is legal, the non-throwing in side can have equal or fewer players in the lineout provided they supply 2 players to the lineout. They must not have more than the throwing in side.

20. Yes. There is no stipulation that an unused substitute must replace Blue 22 if there are unused substitutes available.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
Sorry guys thought it was clear. In Q6 it is foul play.

If it is foul play then it is a PK to Blue where play would have restarted (place for 22 metre drop out).

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
here's where having two laptops comes in handy - questions on one, answers on the other :)

1. technically a deliberate throw forward, so PK. i'd be inclined to give a scrum, unless i thought they were taking the piss.

2. scrum, red ball. defenders were disadvantaged.

3. no

4. play on

5. opposition (i.e. not red) get throw, where the player caught it

6. PK to blue 5 metres out, possible :rc:

7. PK to blue, 5 metres out and 5 metres in

8. Opposition throw, in line with where the ball was kicked

9. when it's an attacking throw within 10 metres of the goal line

10. when the ball is fed

11. 2 metres from the goal line

12. is the ball still moving? if so, scrum at halfway or 22. if not, attacking 5m scrum.

13. PK to red

14. PK under the posts to blue, possible :yc:

15. yes, when they "shape to kick" (or whatever bollocks terms BCM et al use :wink: )

16. PT, poss :yc:

17. yes, 1.5m push max (that was my first thought, i've since changed my mind. without referring to any other answers, or the law book)

18. yes, as a substitution rather than a blood reversal

19. yes

20. no, not unless he's front row (i've since changed my mind on this too, same terms as above)

The umpire

Referees in England
Post Likes
Without peeking at anyone else's answers (which will probably be quite apparent!) Must dash - will score them later.

1, knock-on, scrum white.
2. scrum, red put in.
3. no.
4. play on.
5. blue put in, where he caught it.
6. if you thought it deliberate or careless, it's careless at least, then penalty to blue. mark on the goal line.
7. penalty blue, 15m in from touch on the 5m line.
8. Red put in, opposite where blue kicked it from.
9. when it's less than 10m from their own goal line.
10. when the ball goes in.
11. assuming it's to the defenders, 10m back from goal line. if it was for the attack, on the goal line.
12. option of kick again or scrum offered to red.
13. offside, PK red.
14. deliberate knock-on, PK to blue.
15. Yes, at the point where the kicker starts their approach to kick.
16. deliberate knock-on, penalty try
17. No,
18. no.
19. yes.
20. yes.

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
here's where having two laptops comes in handy - questions on one, answers on the other :)

Or you could just use the Windows+Right directional and Windows+Left directional keys on one computer!

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
that makes the windows small though. my way, they were both full size!

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Or you could just use the Windows+Right directional and Windows+Left directional keys on one computer!
No idea what that means. I pressed the key with the windows symbol and the right arrow/left arrow, but to no avail. Is it supposed to do something?

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
might be a windows 7 thing. AJC is showing off :wink:

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes

Wonder where they nicked that from, cough, space, cough, mac. Except that spaces is actually useful:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Heres mine

1. Try
2. Scrum back in FoP
3. No - PK offence
4. Play on
5. Opposition throw in where ball went to touch
6. YC and PK where play due to restart ie 5m out
7. PK 5m out and 5m in
8. Oppostion throw in opposite where the ball was kicked
9. Long throw in
10. When the ball leaves the SHs hands
11. 15m from the goal line
12. Kick again or opposition scrum on the half way line
13. PK 5m from the goal line - min 15m infield
14. Advance the mark 10m and retake the kick
15. Yes. As soon as the kicker starts his run up
16. YC and Penalty Try
17. No - FK offence
18. No. No 19 is off so the replacement stays off
19. Yes. The throwing in team set the maximum number.
20. Yes.

Donal, you'd better give us the answers soon, otherwise this thread will run longer than the Leggins one. :D

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Before looking at any other posts or the law book:

Technically a try, though you could say unsporting.

Red Scrum 5m out where contact took place

No

Play on

Opposition, where it has been caught.

Penalty to Blue on 22m.

Penalty to Blue at place of offence or on 5m line, 15m in from touch.

Opponents put in, inline from where ball was kicked.

If the attacking back line have moved up in anticipation of a long throw in.

From when the referee makes the mark.

10m from the mark. (2m in field of play)

Assuming 15 had at least one foot in goal, and bobbling means still moving, and the grounding was immediate, Red choice of scrum or kick again.

Penalty on 5m and 15m lines to Red for Blue offside.

Open Play? Play on. PK at Goal? Advance PK 10m forward

Yes, from when the kicker starts to move.

Penalty Try Blue, Yellow Card Red 12.

Yes

No

Yes

Yes

Last edited: