[INTERNATIONAL] Lead by example??

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Jones is said to like a bolshie bugger. I expect he enjoyed his negotiations with Bristol over Steve Borthwick then - and will have a great time with Phil E and his crowd tomorrow

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
leaving Hartley out of the RWC squad was one of Lancaster's glaring mistakes. If he had been playing against Aus and Wales that might very well have made all difference.

And then if you concede he might have been the player to turn a narrow defeat into a narrow victory ... isn't that the job description of a captain?

Lancaster spent too much time worrying about character and not enough on creating a team out of the characters he had.
Who here has played in a successful team ? Did that team have a Hartley-like character in it? Was that person sometimes a liability? And was he also a the go-to bloke when things got bad?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
A captain guaranteed to wind up the ref. Great idea.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Dylan Hartley.

Has any player lost more time to suspensions than him? It's a full calendar year by now, isn't it.

And it isn't just that he's a bit naughty. He's a gouger. Sticks fingers in people's eyes.

That's who you want captaining your country. Okeydokey.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I wonder if it would occur to any opponents what a good idea it might be to upset Hartley.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Dylan Hartley.

Has any player lost more time to suspensions than him? It's a full calendar year by now, isn't it.

And it isn't just that he's a bit naughty. He's a gouger. Sticks fingers in people's eyes.

That's who you want captaining your country. Okeydokey.

... and gets himself red carded in a grand final for calling the referee a fcuking cheat!!

Dylan Hartley is Captaincy material every bit as much as Donald Trump is Presidency material

Last edited:

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Dylan Hartley is Captaincy material every bit as much as Donald Trump is Presidency material

They could both come true :wow:

- and will have a great time with Phil E and his crowd tomorrow

Eh! do you know something I don't?
Is he coming to watch me referee Southam v Cheltenham North?

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
They could both come true :wow:

Seriously?

If I was a betting man, I would wager that Trump will not win a single Primary, but if he does happen to win one, it would probably be New Hampshire.....not enough to propel him to the GOP Nomination. Ted Cruz is bound to win Iowa and likely to win Nevada too. Once the SEC Primaries are held in early March, we'll have a better idea.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Though there is no mention in the linked article about it, there was word on the BBC R5Live that EJ was seeking a confrontational/abrasive character as Captain. If that is the same as Martin Johnson then fine however nothing I've seen leads me to believe DH has the emotional intelligence to turn his abrasive setting up or down to suit the context of the situation he's faced with.

I don't like the DH I see on TV/read about but there is no denying he is the best 2 in the country. I wish Jack Walker would hurry up and pinch his place.

Brian Moore was a good abrasive hooker but I would never have let him be captain if I were Green, Cooke, Rowell.

I can't think of an abrasive/confrontational player who is an international captain.

SimonSmith

Referees in Australia
Staff member
Post Likes
Though there is no mention in the linked article about it, there was word on the BBC R5Live that EJ was seeking a confrontational/abrasive character as Captain. If that is the same as Martin Johnson then fine however nothing I've seen leads me to believe DH has the emotional intelligence to turn his abrasive setting up or down to suit the context of the situation he's faced with.

I don't like the DH I see on TV/read about but there is no denying he is the best 2 in the country. I wish Jack Walker would hurry up and pinch his place.

Brian Moore was a good abrasive hooker but I would never have let him be captain if I were Green, Cooke, Rowell.

I can't think of an abrasive/confrontational player who is an international captain.

I can think of those who were, and successfully. MJ, for one. Fin Calder, another.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Seriously?

Americans have history of electing some strange people to be their president.

I don't think he will win either, but I wouldn't bet my house against it.