Leigh Halfpenny

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Not a law point but a player safety issue.

This lad is going to do himself serious harm unless he changes his tackle technique. Saturday's game (W V I) saw him get a(nother?) concussion following a brave but badly executed tackle. his head position is wrong time and time again.

Surely his coaches and he need to sort it out.

But should we say anything to a player if we notice that their technique is dangerous to themselves?

Secondary question would your answer vary depending on their playing level?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
But should we say anything to a player if we notice that their technique is dangerous to themselves?

In some circumstances - eg last season in an 'ultra-social' sevens tournament I insisted that a drunk player was removed from the pitch as I considered he was a danger to himself and everyone else. (I told the captain I wanted him off the pitch, and the captain agreed to sub him)

At age group level you have a keener responsibility of care for players' safety. That might require some action depending on the circs.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Not a law point but a player safety issue.

This lad is going to do himself serious harm unless he changes his tackle technique. Saturday's game (W V I) saw him get a(nother?) concussion following a brave but badly executed tackle. his head position is wrong time and time again.

Surely his coaches and he need to sort it out.

No, tackling technique isn't a referees issue unless it's involves foul play.

Yes,I'd like to think that if I saw a U13 ( or less) player repeating the same 'face in front of knees' attempt, then I would mention it to his coach. If we removed players from the pitch then that would overstep our authority.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Removal? No, except in crossref's example.

Youth? Instructing a player? No, Sharing an observation with the coach? Absolutely.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I'd like to see if his concussions are caused by not tackling with one particular shoulder. When it happenned on Saturday it reminded me of my playing days after a few left shoulder dislocations I used to tackle like that twisting my body to avoid tackling on my left. He may be hiding a weakness

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
hard to hide that, when you are perhaps the most feared kicker in world rugby, and playing for ... Wales.

Since when has that been an indication that a player is Welsh?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I don't think the English can start that one.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Since when has that been an indication that a player is Welsh?
Good point. How often have I wanted to strangle that delightful Englishman, George North?

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Do the English really want to one this one up?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to the people who actually adressed the serious issue raised by my op.