Leinster v. Ulster stamping

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
it wasn't actually Nigel Owens refereeing then!
:wtf:

I'm not sure who said it was. Though I'm not sure the "who it was" is that important. My point stands about the misplaced emphasis on style when there are such terrible refereeing calls being made.

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
I know its not the best example but if the penalty had been given early for not rolling away (blatantly slowing down the ball with his legs/feet) the stamping would probably not have happened. I suspect the ref thought 'ball available' and waited -Shirley they will pick up the ball and not do something stupid under my nose. DOH!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I'mI'm wondering if its a macho enforcer type mantle these Irish props want to own, Healy did the similar on Cole (ie stamped on the ankle of a player a long way from the ball) a bit like earning your 'uncompromising' footwork striopes !

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I know its not the best example but if the penalty had been given early for not rolling away (blatantly slowing down the ball with his legs/feet) the stamping would probably not have happened. I suspect the ref thought 'ball available' and waited -Shirley they will pick up the ball and not do something stupid under my nose. DOH!

Unless I am seeing things, the ball was alongside Best's chest (and, as you say, available), and his ankles were some 4 feet from the ball, so I'm not sure of the relevance of the emboldened words.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
I know its not the best example but if the penalty had been given early for not rolling away (blatantly slowing down the ball with his legs/feet) the stamping would probably not have happened.

Sorry not sure what this has to do with it.

There are two issues here:

1; The thug doing the stamping. No excuse it was the action of a thug. A stamp on the ankle could cripple someone.

2; The ref saw it and felt a warning was sufficient.

The issue of a quick preventative call has a minor degree of relevance for the refs own review. The stamp was wrong period and the ref got the call to warn only, wrong.

The DC have also, subsequently been leinient which will just encourage others to exercise their own "justice in future.

- - - Updated - - -

I'mI'm wondering if its a macho enforcer type mantle these Irish props want to own, Healy did the similar on Cole (ie stamped on the ankle of a player a long way from the ball) a bit like earning your 'uncompromising' footwork striopes !

Totally agree!