Length of time in the Sin Bin

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Hi,

How long do players stay in the sin-bin in junior rugby? I thought it is still 10 minutes, but someone else said it was dependent on age group.

Thanks.

Sean

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Law book says it's always 10 mins unless stated otherwise, i.e. In 7s.
I assume by Junior rugby you mean U13 and above?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I'm with Phil E - 10 minutes, regardless. At U.13 and U.14, that's 20% of the game, but if you get a card at those age groups, something pretty shocking has happened. There's no real reason to suppose it would be age related. To get to 1/8th of the game as in adult rugby, U.18s would have 7'30" cards. There's absolutely nothing in the RFU age grade regulations to warrant this.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
IRFU regs.....U13-U16 no sin bin. U17-U19 7mins.

Account Deleted

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Here a sin bin is 10 mins regardless of level. A bit harsh in a 10 mins and half game. But: "if you can't do the time..." No restriction on cards at any age here. However, up to U11 (IIRC) the player is replaced if subs are available.

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Well to me the time in the bin is irrelevant because as an associate referee the IRFU does not trust me to issue cards!! I take great offence to this as they have deemed me fit to referee any game at any level that my Club are playing (home or away) but do not allow me to issue yellow cards! I can dismiss a player(without showing red). Seems crazy to me but like many other aspects of the game of rugby I ignore it and carry on because I LOVE IT.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Well to me the time in the bin is irrelevant because as an associate referee the IRFU does not trust me to issue cards!! I take great offence to this as they have deemed me fit to referee any game at any level that my Club are playing (home or away) but do not allow me to issue yellow cards! I can dismiss a player(without showing red). Seems crazy to me but like many other aspects of the game of rugby I ignore it and carry on because I LOVE IT.

Decorily - which country are you in ?

In RFUland a YC is 10 minutes whatever the length of a Youth (U13-18) match may be. I have had that discussion in the past with the Law Committee rep (DB) in the late RFU Refs Dept (RIP). No one at the RFU has sent me any notification that it has changed since.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
agree it's 10 mins.

Unless there are comp rules to the contary

But then of course we have this "rulling" on YC/RC's where there are replacments too :shrug: (oh by the way, still haven't had a reply on that subject as to why it was done?)

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
IRFU regs.....U13-U16 no sin bin. U17-U19 7mins.

IRFU have got this wrong IMHO. 16yr olds no time off pitch ................ that'll only breed O'Connell's & Healy's..... oooooooooooh , I get it now, a long term plan in embryonic stage !

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Good guess FlipFlop, Ireland it is....otherwise Craggy Island(get that in before Browner does). Simon, I'm sure you are 100% correct/up to date in relation to RFUland. But here in IRFUland it is as I stated. I thought someone might have views on the fact that as an associate ref I am not allowed use of cards. Anyone?

thepercy

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Good guess FlipFlop, Ireland it is....otherwise Craggy Island(get that in before Browner does). Simon, I'm sure you are 100% correct/up to date in relation to RFUland. But here in IRFUland it is as I stated. I thought someone might have views on the fact that as an associate ref I am not allowed use of cards. Anyone?

what makes you an associate referee and not a full fledged referee?

Last edited:

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
I thought someone might have views on the fact that as an associate ref I am not allowed use of cards. Anyone?

either you are a referee or not. Whether it has Associate, Probationer, Provisional, Certified, Qualified, etc etc in front of it makes no difference in my view.
YC is a management escalation sanction and as an associate referee (no idea what that means) I suspect you have less experience or perceived status/gravitas so is a double stupid thing to do to you.
IRFU have got that totally wrong imho

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I thought someone might have views on the fact that as an associate ref I am not allowed use of cards. Anyone?
From the IRFU Associate Referee Workbook (a pretty useful guide IMO):

**NO CARDS**

Cards are NOT to be used by Associate Referees. You may still order a player from the playing enclosure without showing a card.

Sounds Irish :biggrin: They allow you to perform the act, but not to use the correct tool to communicate the act. Next, you'll be told that you can stop the game at any point but mustn't use the whistle to do so.

As a matter of interest, what admin do you need to do if you send off a player without showing a red card?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
as an associate referee (no idea what that means) I suspect you have less experience or perceived status/gravitas

IRFU Associate Workbook

2. Associate Referees:
These are defined as Adult persons (18 years +) who:
2.1 are qualified and appointed, by a school or club, (to referee a match, or training session) to which they are affiliated.
2.2 are qualified and appointed by their school or club (or requested by the Branch) to a „blitz‟ or similar tournament in which their school or club is participating.
2.3 are not available for appointment to matches by the Branch or Branch Referee Associations/Society.

[Associate Referees may also apply, if they wish, for full membership of their Provincial Referee Associations/Society.]

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
From the IRFU Associate Referee Workbook (a pretty useful guide IMO):

**NO CARDS**

Cards are NOT to be used by Associate Referees. You may still order a player from the playing enclosure without showing a card.

Sounds Irish :biggrin: They allow you to perform the act, but not to use the correct tool to communicate the act. Next, you'll be told that you can stop the game at any point but mustn't use the whistle to do so.

As a matter of interest, what admin do you need to do if you send off a player without showing a red card?

perhaps these associate types, have been waving cards in a way 'Associated with Soccer', so they cant be trusted!

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
As an associate (or more accurately, as they now call us, Club and School Affiliated) referee we are only appointed to games in which our own Clubs are playing and when a Branch referee is not available. We therefore are not 'on call' to travel around the province to referee games. It is a way of encouraging people, who do not want that commitment, to take up the whistle. It is because of this involvment with the referees own Club that they do not allow the use of cards. Bias and all that! However I personally feel that is ridiculous as if one wanted to manipulate the outcome of a game there are many far more subtle ways of doing so!!!

Yes Simon, I agree-IRFU got this wrong.

Now Dixie and Browner..be nice. Us Irish referees are a very sensitive lot:ireland:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Now Dixie and Browner..be nice. Us Irish referees are a very sensitive lot:ireland:
A Limerick-born ref hails from Bruff
Had the post-match press treat him rough
The wallabies didn’t win
Cos the scrum took a spin
Ex 10’s simply don’t know enough !

Sensitive, nah ............ no chance :biggrin:

Wolrabs

ELRA/Club Referee
Post Likes
Thanks for this.

You are right, by junior rugby I do mean u13 and upwards.

On a different subject, yellow defender tries to slide tackle a green attacker but misses with green moving out of the way. What should the sanction be? I would think a penalty and a yellow card for the culprit?

Regards

Sean

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
On a different subject, yellow defender tries to slide tackle a green attacker but misses with green moving out of the way. What should the sanction be? I would think a penalty and a yellow card for the culprit?

Regards

Sean

Monster Bollocking from me & PK , make sure he knows that if he'd connected he'd be watching his teammates from the sidelines at the very least!! ................ especially if it's a junior [context?]

Last edited: