Lifting in tackle

iansimcox

Post Likes
Anyone see the Simpson try in the Wasps v Sale game? Seems to me that he gets lifted and never returned back to the ground. We had a similar one against our amateur team the other week. It seems to me that if this is not a penalty already, then it should be. If it's allowed as a valid tactic then it will lead to some very dangerous play.

https://twitter.com/btsportrugby/status/551795538858106880

http://po.st/05WGnY

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Personally don't see anything wrong with this.

Yes, the player is lifted off the ground, but the payers lifting him clearly have him under control. The maul is quickly formed with Sale player at the heart of it. Ball is ripped by Wasps, and if you look in the background of the 2nd replay you will see that the Sale player is returned to earth on his feet in a safe and controlled manner.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Lifted and held safely, not beyond the horizontal, ball stripped, and player safely returned to his feet.

Good techniques used, nothing to penalise.

iansimcox

Post Likes
Ok so there's nothing against it currently, but I'm going to need more convincing that it's not inherently dangerous to allow this as a tactic. On the video you can even see a few Sale players look at the ref as they clearly expect the game to stop (I know, they should play to the whistle, but they seemed to recognise that this was a situation where the ref would normally stop the game as it wasn't safe).

As a ball carrier, if you get lifted up to near horizontal you start to become more concerned about coming down safely than securing the ball. I don't care that you know it's the tacklers responsibility to bring you down, you aren't going to leave your neck and/or life in their hands. You prepare for the possibility that you might come down on your head and that involves loosening your grip on the ball.

You aren't allowed to lift legs in the maul and you aren't allowed to play the man in the air, both on safety grounds. I don't see how allowing two defenders to hold a man near horizontal while a third comes in to strip the ball can possibly be a safe way to go.

I'm open to the possibility that I'm missing something, but I can't see the other side of this argument just yet.

EDIT: Simon, btw I disagree about him not going beyond horizontal. I see a couple of times where his head is below his hips and his feet are up. And for me that's why it's dangerous because it's so hard to judge in real time whether the player is teetering on the edge of going over or is under complete control.

Last edited:

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Remember the clip of Carling getting lifted in in-goal to prevent him from scoring? Was that dangerous? I think not.

A matter for the referee's judgement.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
OK for me. Not a tackle as BC never brought to ground

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
but just to confirm has a white player smashed into the maul, it had become unsteady and it had meant said player hitting the ground it would have been a PK for white?

didds

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
The collar pulling/garrotting was penalisable.

This rarely happens because in most instances support players quickly arrive , although I can appreciate the point Ian makes about self preservation leading to release of the ball.

I suggest we wait to see how prevalent this 'technique' becomes, personally I don't think it will be replicated often.