[Junior] Line out lifter drops jumper.

Huck2Spit

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
Refereed yesterday a high school match here in USA, used U19 law variations but some players were brand new to rugby and the most veteran players maybe have 1 season of rugby.
Blue had the throw in, at a lineout 5 meters from their own try line, good throw to first pod but jumper muffs the catch then the ball falls down and backwards into lifters chest. Lifter drops jumper to play the ball. Whistle and admonish lifter for disregarding safety of his teammate. I Run to 15 in, thinking FK, but this is a very developmental level and seems harsh considering field position. Could not think of how else to fairly restart so bent my arm for the FK.
Would allowing blue another chance at the line out be fair?
There are the laws but within that document there's the Spirit of the Game. Was this decision outside of the Spirit? Even if with in letter if the law. Lifter has maybe two months of rugby and reacted to the ball/ wanted to play.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
There is a way of awarding a FK without it being harsh eg "Bad luck Blue 3, but if you lift him, you have to bring him down safely".

I suppose you could always start with a scrum after a safety stoppage. Throw in to the non-offending side.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
Why is this law in the book? Ask yourself that question.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Taff has the right idea.

Stop, explain/admonish, fair restart. Since Blue muffed the LO a scrum to the opponent works.

I've had 6 years coaching U-13 thru HS and this is the kind of stuff you need to find a fair answer for.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
Totally with marauder.

Though a FK in this field position won't provide any better tactical advantage over a scrum anyway.

didds

Decorily

Coach/Referee
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I Run to 15 in.......

FK awarded in an appropriate manner for the level of the game is probably a fair outcome ie; explain and empathise.

Probably would avoid the "run" to the 15m to allow you to better manage the situation.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
what law is that?

19.10(g)

Lowering a Player. Players who support a jumping team-mate must lower that player to
the ground as soon as the ball has been won by a player of either team.
Sanction: Free Kick on the 15-metre line

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
what law is that?

19.10 (g).
Lowering a Player. Players who support a jumping team-mate must lower that player to

Manage it according to the level.

Kids = scrum

as you move up to adults move to a FK.

This law is there for safety failure to bring players down safely put them and other players in danger. So we need to be mindful of the potential for issues.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
19.10 (g).

Manage it according to the level.

Kids = scrum

as you move up to adults move to a FK.

This law is there for safety failure to bring players down safely put them and other players in danger. So we need to be mindful of the potential for issues.

on the contrary - the strong, clear advice we got in the first year that lifting was allowed was to FK it! Safety is paramount and especially when they are kids you need to really focus them being responsible for the catcher right until he is back on the ground.

so followong that advice, which made sense to me, the only time I have ever given a FK for it was for kids

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
For me the kids will do it because they are learning. Adults do it because they are pushing to the limit. The ones who need the greater empathy are the kids.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
For me the kids will do it because they are learning. Adults do it because they are pushing to the limit. The ones who need the greater empathy are the kids.

the logic is that it's the kids who are much more likely to lose control and drop someone dangerously - - so the catcher is vulnerable -- and any messing about you ping it out of them as soon as you see it.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
For kids matches where lifting is allowed, I always mention in my briefing that if you take on the responsibility of lifting a jumper, you also take on the responsibility of bringing the jumper safely to ground. I'd go with the FK.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
That's fine if you apply the same standards to adults. Otherwise it's crazy.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
That's fine if you apply the same standards to adults. Otherwise it's crazy.

hmmm-- well it was you that came in with different standards for kids than adults!

but I haven't really got a strong view on this one, just repeating the the advice that was current when my son's age group reached U16 (when lifting started), the advice was : lifting is quite dangerous when they are learning make sure you come down hard on anyone who is not let down safely, give a FK.

shrug. YMMV

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
hmmm-- well it was you that came in with different standards for kids than adults!

but I haven't really got a strong view on this one, just repeating the the advice that was current when my son's age group reached U16 (when lifting started), the advice was : lifting is quite dangerous when they are learning make sure you come down hard on anyone who is not let down safely, give a FK.

shrug. YMMV

Indeed I did. However, if you have lower standards applying at any point, you apply them to children who are learning not to adults who should have better knowledge, skills and control. That's the normal way it's done.

I agree with the advice you were given, EXCEPT for the bit after the final comma.

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
safety is somewhat different : we come down stricter with kids where safety is involved.

eg
- squeezeball - it's inherently somewhat dangerous as it exposes the head and back, it's allowed at adults but it's a PK offence for kids.
- high tackles - inherently dangerous, the Laws outlaw tackles above the neck for adults, but above the armpit for kids.

that logic implies that dropping your team mate from a height should be treated more strictly for kids, rather than less strictly.

Pegleg

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 3
You deal with it but why punish harshly? Low skill level, talk to them, COACH them especially when they're kids. First time a scrum escalate if they don't take more care. Manage it with empathy.

You use two deliberate acts to explain an accident. Interesting.

Last edited: