Line Out

Scousebun

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
I was referee in a game the other day and have a question about the decision I made. I awarded a scrummage just outside the 22 however the No 8' s feet were still inside the 22, the scrum half picked the ball up from the No8' s feet ( inside 22) and kicked straight into touch. I gave he line out we're he ball crossed the touch line. Was this the correct decision or should the line out have taken place in line were the kick was taken.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Re: Line out

Line out
I was referee in a game the other day and have a question about the decision I made. I awarded a scrummage just outside the 22 however the No 8' s feet were still inside the 22, the scrum half picked the ball up from the No8' s feet ( inside 22) and kicked straight into touch. I gave he line out we're he ball crossed the touch line. Was this the correct decision or should the line out have taken place in line were the kick was taken.

The latter.

[LAWS]19.1 (b) When a team causes the ball to be put into their own 22. When a defending player plays the ball from outside the 22 and it goes into that player’s 22 or in-goal area without touching an opposition player and then that player or another player from that team kicks the ball directly into touch before it touches an opposition player, or a tackle takes place or a ruck or maul is formed, there is no gain in ground. This applies when a defending player moves back behind the 22 metre line to take a quick throw-in and then the ball is kicked directly into touch.[/LAWS]

Last edited:

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes

Line out

Make life easy for yourself.
If you award a scrum or line-out just outside the 22, tell the defending SH or No.10 that "It is outside the 22" before the ball is thrown in. This way the defending team know that if they win the ball and it goes into their 22 (unless it is knocked-on by the attacking team in a lineout and goes into the 22), they will have taken it back (I will also call "Taken back" when this happens) and there is no gain in ground should they kick it directly into touch.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

The mark for the scrum was outside the 22, so the ball was taken back into the 22. No gain in ground.

ianh5979

Referees in England
Post Likes

Agree with OB no gain in ground

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

They took it back inside the 22 through the scrum.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
[threads merged & moved to lineout forum]

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6

Make life easy for yourself.
If you award a scrum or line-out just outside the 22, tell the defending SH or No.10 that "It is outside the 22" before the ball is thrown in. This way the defending team know that if they win the ball and it goes into their 22 (unless it is knocked-on by the attacking team in a lineout and goes into the 22), they will have taken it back (I will also call "Taken back" when this happens) and there is no gain in ground should they kick it directly into touch.

The point of Law aside the Fat has got to the crux of the game situation. At a lineout or scrum on or around the 22 I will always endeavour to communicate to anyone within earshot that we are inside or outside the 22. It tells the players and acts a mental marker for me.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
No gain in ground as ball taken back into 22.
Manage / communicate clearly when the scrum is formed ghost it is outside.

Scousebun

Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
Thanks to all, I will make a mental note for next time.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
like others I'll normally make a point of announcing 'it's outside the 22m' or 'it's inside'

partly this is to make it clear to the players
but a lot of it is that, having said it out loud, I know it will stick in my mind.

On a line out where the LoT is very close the 22m (it's really irritating how many TJs will mark the exact 22m line!) I don't ever have the 22m line in the tunnel, I'll always make one of the teams stand on the 22m, so it's clear to to both sides that the LoT is inside/outside the the 22m

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
Manage / communicate clearly when the scrum is formed ghost it is outside.
Spooky how some parts of the country have to deal with things that remain myth in other parts. Hampshire benefits from the high paranormal field emanating from the derelict Odiham castle.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel

As others have pointed out Scousebun, it should of been a LO back were the kicker had kicked the ball out on the full, taken back in, no gain in ground.

I as others do will tell the SH and number 10 that it is either inside or outside the 22, I will say this and also taken back in if that happens, this starts the thought process in my brain about what happens if.............ball goes dead on the full etc.

Useful little tip to keep the brain working as hard as the lungs!

Last edited:

irishref

Referees in Holland
Post Likes

Agree with the fact there was no gain in ground and especially the communication bit. I always make a point of getting contact with the #10 to say "inside" or "outside" if the set piece is near the 22 metre line.

Diego

Referees in America
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7

The line out is where the ball was kick because the mark for the scrum is outside the 22m line (they brind the ball inside)
Sorry for my bad inglish.
Saludos! Diego