Lions Series - Accidental Offsite?

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
An instinct to catch a ball and then doing so is hardly a defence against unavoidability imo.

And yet another instance where the laws and are not proving sharp enough in elite game situations.

In real time, had RP actually waived play on for a ball going backwards, rightly or wrongly as a judgement call, I suspect there could be more acceptance. But then we would have played on and who knows.....

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
An instinct to catch a ball and then doing so is hardly a defence against unavoidability imo.

And yet another instance where the laws and are not proving sharp enough in elite game situations.

In real time, had RP actually waived play on for a ball going backwards, rightly or wrongly as a judgement call, I suspect there could be more acceptance. But then we would have played on and who knows.....

If your own teammate ball carrier runs into you from behind, that is accidental offside.

If you are touched by a ball last played by a team mate behind you, that is accidental offside

If you touch a ball last played by a team mate behind you, whether intentional, instinctively or unintentionally, that is offside.

It couldn't have been simpler. Now, in a moment of panic under pressure... Mr Poite has muddied the waters.

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
If you watch the slow motion replay, after the ball contacts Williams it is 'caught' by Owens about a metre nearer to the Lions DBL.

The point is that it goes forward from Williams contact, and is thus a knock-on (that it is only slowed relative to Williams and carries on in same direction after the contact is irrelevant, it's a knock-on); Owens is offside, and his contact (caught or otherwise) prevents advantage to the AB, so 11.7 comes into play, and has to be a PK, as Poite indicated at first.

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Whether the ball is knocked on or not isn't material. By definition a player is offside if he is in front of a teammate who last played the ball.

Ciaran Trainor

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
There is also a case for read taking the player out in the air which caused the knock on.
Either way accidental offside for me. The fact that Owens instinctively went for the ballistic irrelevant, all players would do that

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
There is also a case for read taking the player out in the air which caused the knock on.
Either way accidental offside for me. The fact that Owens instinctively went for the ballistic irrelevant, all players would do that

So you would ignore 11.7?

Nigib

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
I would referee it in conjunction with 11.6 and a bit of empathy with the players.

I appreciate that, but in this instance advantage is clearly denied to the ABs, so surely 11.7 is to be preferred over 11.6? There is also an argument that he wasn't trying to get onside, was even loitering a bit to try and get in the way of the ABs (or, being empathetic, trying to be close to join in any maul/ruck but not quick enough/knackered). At this level assume that everything is deliberate. And Poite called it initially. The review was for the in-air contest, and should not have been giving him leeway to change his original decision.

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
In the absence of a c&o KO, it is only 11.6 that could ever be applied surely?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Regardless of KO the following applies:

11.1(b) Offside and interfering with play. A player who is offside must not take part in the game.
This means the player must not play the ball or obstruct an opponent.

Strangely (or not!) there is no specific sanction indicated! But we all know it's a PK.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Whether the ball is knocked on or not isn't material. By definition a player is offside if he is in front of a teammate who last played the ball.

I contend that he is only offside if he is in front of where the team mate was when he played the ball.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Can some one who is a real tech head here please eliminate the possibility that Read knocked the ball on?
If he didn't, we can then move on to the next culprit in the argument.

Did RP review the video to look at possible foul play by Read? I don't think Read was guilty of any foul play but if the referee asks the TMO to review possible foul play and then sees something else to make him change his decision, does that contravene the TMO protocol?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hard to fault.

View attachment 3571 Contact in air in line with the 'd' on the pitch marking

View attachment 3572 Caught on ground in line with the 'r'

the other benchmark is the Lions player in the grey head gear standing stationary (left of photo). Who is closer to him - the Lions player in the air or the Lions player who catches the ball?

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
Rushforth has argued that Read may have also touched the ball. That may be correct, but it is far from C&O. However, he also argues, in the same breath, that it was not a fair contest. That is an obvious logical disconnect; if its not a fair contest then you have no chance of getting to the ball, but if you touch the the ball on then you must have got to it. You can't argue both claims to be true.

It was The Fat in post #9 who had the good video and asked whether it was Read knocking on. But as you say, it is not 100% clear from even this video, never mind in real time.

As to an "obvious logical disconnect", perhaps I should have used the word "alleged" twice in the penultimate paragraph of the relevant post.

Remember that my first impression - from a very poor video feed - was PK against Black #8 for dangerous play. Remember that at the time the whistle went, a Black player had the ball and was behind the red defensive line. The quick whistle reinforced my belief that a penalty would be forthcoming against Black #8 for foul play, rather than for an immaterial handling of the ball by Red #16 while advantage could be played.

However, on viewing this better feed, I find it not unreasonable to at least consider the possibility that it was in fact a fair challenge by Black #8, but if he did get a hand to the ball, then the question was raised by The Fat of whether it might not be a knock-on by Black #8 instead. Certainly the ball continues to travel in the direction of the opposition's dead ball line, from the Black perspective.

In Boolean algebra, there are AND and OR operators. There is also something known as the exclusive or, XOR, which is appropriate in this case. It can be thought of as "either-or-but not both".

You are quite correct that:
EITHER Black #8 didn't get a hand to it, so it isn't a fair contest and therefore a penalty against Black #8;
OR Black #8 did get a hand to it, so it is a fair contest and therefore knock-on advantage to Red if it went towards their DBL.

I fully agree with you that not both can happen, and also that it isn't C&O which (if any) did.

What I do not agree with is that Red #16's reflex reactions in first instinctively grabbing the ball and then dropping it in the misguided belief (created by the momentum of the ball and even more by that of Black #8) that he was off-side are a C&O PK offence.

Apparently it was Warburton who suggested looking for the accidental knock-on - very diplomatically - and this perhaps allowed Poite to save face, not completely reversing a decision which he had no reason to miss from the kick-off.

I'm happy with a scrum either way, both as a referee and as a supporter, but if Black #8 didn't get a hand to the ball at all it would have been an absolute howler to give a very kickable penalty the wrong way.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
If your own teammate ball carrier runs into you from behind, that is accidental offside.

If you are touched by a ball last played by a team mate behind you, that is accidental offside

If you touch a ball last played by a team mate behind you, whether intentional, instinctively or unintentionally, that is offside.

It couldn't have been simpler. Now, in a moment of panic under pressure... Mr Poite has muddied the waters.

I don't think he has muddied the waters at all Ian. I think he just bottled it.
Like he did the Kainu YC - because there clearly WAS "force". He was just setting his stall out that he was NOT going to follow Garces.
Note I am not saying Kainu "deserved" a RC. But under the protocol it was a nailed on RC. We've discussed "protocols" like this before of course!

didds

Lex Hipkins

Post Likes
Here's a thought I have that does take away a bit from the offside discussion... it is my (possible) opinion that when Read launches himself for the ball, and before he is in position to compete for the ball and definitely before he makes contact with Williams, he makes contact with the player (Stander?) who has lifted Williams. It is this hit that probably unsettles Williams before Read also hits Williams (Read being then higher and arguably then competing for the ball). Isn't the act of hitting the standing player foul play in its own right?

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I contend that he is only offside if he is in front of where the team mate was when he played the ball.

. . . . . and that raises a very good question for which I don't have an answer. Does the offside line run through the stationary point where the 'teammate' last played the ball? Or, does the offside line move with that player?

We know it moves with the player if he moves forward but what if he is retreating toward his own DBL?

We touched on this in another thread some time ago but I can't remember the subject.

Lex Hipkins

Post Likes
Here's a thought I have that does take away a bit from the offside discussion... it is my (possible) opinion that when Read launches himself for the ball, and before he is in position to compete for the ball and definitely before he makes contact with Williams, he makes contact with the player (Stander?) who has lifted Williams. It is this hit that probably unsettles Williams before Read also hits Williams (Read being then higher and arguably then competing for the ball). Isn't the act of hitting the standing player foul play in its own right?

nb this is point he hits Stander .. definitely lower than Williams .. competing for the ball or taking out the lifter?

IMG_1882.jpg

ChrisR

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Read is clearly making a play for the ball. The lifter is between Read and where the ball the ball comes down. Isn't that obstruction?