Lions Series - Accidental Offsite?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
It was material.

but, as it happened, the material impact was
- Owens removed himself from further play
- the ball happened to fall perfectly for an oncoming AB, who was able to gather it and break the line

ie the impact of what Owens did actually advantaged the ABs..

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
A very large part of what any player does, particularly at the speed an international is played, is instinctive ie you do it without thinking because you do not have the time to think.

I find it telling that he almost immediately released the ball, which tells me he had not caught it deliberately.

on a rugby pitch there are plenty of actions that are instinctive but, nevertheless, are PK offences. Just introduce a newcomer to the game and watch how many PKs he gives away.

Playing rugby is sometimes about overcoming your instincts.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Well it kind of is, Ian.

We haven't been able to conclusively say whether or not the ball came off KR first/last/at all.

Maybe KO thought it came off KR, went to play it, and thought "sh*t maybe not" just in case, and therefore let it go.

If we take it back to the moment of the KR challenge in the air, it seems entirely equitable to me to award a scrum here with there being no conclusive (clear and obvious) picture on who contacted the ball - and that is slowed down and analysed, not real time/under pressure/retreating from the wrong side of play.

That isn't how "C&O" works though is it? If something isn't C&O then it didn't happen; if you don't apply it that way, you will mire yourself in uncertainty.

That the ball came off Red is C&O, at least to me it is (balls don't magically and suddenly change direction through over 90° for no reason) and apparently its obvious to WR referee assessors as well.

A very large part of what any player does, particularly at the speed an international is played, is instinctive ie you do it without thinking because you do not have the time to think.

I'll bet you're not so forgiving when a ball carrier steps an opponent and the opponent instinctively sticks an arm out and catches the ball carrier around the throat!! You might be understanding and consider it a reflex action, but I'll bet you would still PK him and if it was bad enough, card him.

I find it telling that he almost immediately released the ball, which tells me he had not caught it deliberately.

Owens letting the ball go could also just as easily be him realizing full well that he was offside and trying to unwind the clock and not get PK.

Last edited:

ChuckieB

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Why so? I don't see why he needed to blow his whistle for anything and would probably have saved a lot of bother if he hadn't.

Two possible outcomes, scrum or penalty, depending on your view. As such, anything that contributed to the thought process must have been material.

Not playing advantage is a is a bit of a red herring. If Advantage had been played, it may ultimately not have ended up being material, but only if the AB's had gone on and scored.

Because he blew the whistle everything immediately became material.

Rushforth

Referees in Holland
Post Likes
That the ball came off Red is C&O, at least to me it is (balls don't magically and suddenly change direction through over 90° for no reason) and apparently its obvious to WR referee assessors as well.

Ian, I realise that I don't have your expertise with video, so my apologies that the animated gif below consists of only three frames.Webp.net-gifmaker (1).jpg

I used only the youtube video that The Fat gave in post #9, Print Screen, paste into Paint, crop and resize, and then http://gifmaker.me/.

My apologies for the white bars at the top and bottom of the middle frame; my focus was on aligning the dark green paint of "Standard Life" so that there would be a bit of grass showing on either side of it.

But thank you for confirming what I had suspected all along. The ball does change direction by almost 90° all of a sudden, doesn't it? It is almost as if the ball was initially kicked in the rough direction of the touch-in-goal opposite the camera, and then deflected back towards the goal posts or even the near-side corner flag.

I asked you nicely if you would do the video job that I must admit I botched a little bit, and I don't mind that you didn't, but please understand that I'm not picking and choosing frames here.

The fact of the matter is, however, that if you put your mouse over where the ball is in the first frame, and then watch in which direction the ball travels, it is clearly and very obviously (even in real time, to me, but then I've only watched and played a few thousand rugby matches) impossible that there is a knock-on by Red, on the basis of the animated gif, and I am sure you can do better.

That leaves us with general play, but we have to remember the definition: "In general play a player is offside if the player is in front of a team-mate who is carrying the ball, or in front of a team-mate who last played the ball." - and we don't even know if the Red catcher played the ball, for sure, on the basis of this one angle. So not C&O on that.

There is of course also 11.3 (c) Intentionally touches ball. When an opponent intentionally touches the ball but does not catch it, the offside player is put onside. Again, if there is any possibility that Black #8 touched the ball, and we are giving him the benefit of the doubt, then surely we have to give the same benefit of the doubt to Red #16.

But then go all the way back to 11.1: "A player who is in an offside position is not automatically penalised. / A player who receives an unintentional throw forward is not offside." This is "Spirit of the Game" stuff. We don't give penalties when attacking players hoping to receive the ball overrun their passer.

Ian_Cook, I've accepted that the game is better for the momentum interpretation of the forward pass, although it was John West who convinced me with "It's the physics of it". The problem - your problem - is that you aren't being consistent. I'm not asking you to be perfect; you already believe that you are; I am just asking you to be consistent, and above all impartial.

I was still a player at the previous Lions tour of NZ. Up until then I admired the ABs, having seen them play Canada in Lille in '91. Don't get me wrong, I still like the Kiwis in general, but the reason I bring this up is that you mentioned instinctive arms across the throat. I almost did that when I was 14 (my 3rd or perhaps 4th season), and I managed to pull out of the attempted dangerous tackle with the same sort of speed of thought Owens dropped the ball with.

Of course I want to win my own little contests, whether it was as a hooker winning ball against the head or taking you on, Ian, since I can't block you. But you aren't an eejit, either.

So what is your position on momentum nowadays?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
The fact of the matter is, however, that if you put your mouse over where the ball is in the first frame, and then watch in which direction the ball travels, it is clearly and very obviously (even in real time, to me, but then I've only watched and played a few thousand rugby matches) impossible that there is a knock-on by Red,

Rushforth, the gif thingy didn't work for me but I assume you're saying that a knock on only occurs if the ball travels towards the opponent's DBL? If so, that is not how I see the world. If the Blue SH passes the ball at 45° to his flyhalf and the flyhalf only gets a finger to it such that the ball is still travelling towards the Blue DBL but only less so, that is still a knock on.

The Fat

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Here is just a thought. Just something I'll throw out there for people to consider. The idea doesn't need to be poo-pooed by anyone, just asking for civil opinions.

What is the intent of the offside law that says a player who is in front of a team mate who last played the ball is offside and one way of putting himself onside would be to run behind the team mate who touched it before playing the ball himself?
Is it the intent of the law that the offside player run behind the place where the team mate last played the ball or behind that same player if he had started to move forward, or must he run behind his team mate no matter what the circumstances?
Scenario:
Black kick long in general play and the kicker chases the ball downfield. Red 15 and Red 14 run back towards the ball (towards their own DBL) with Red 15 some 12m closer to the ball than Red 14. Red 15 gets a hand to the bouncing ball but over-runs it and is unable to stop on the wet surface before going another 10m towards his own goal line. The ball comes to rest. Red 14 is now just 5m ahead of the Black kicker in the race to the ball which is 5m closer to Red's DBL than when 15 touched it. Red 14 now has to run past the ball, beyond his 15 who is 10m past where he first made contact with the ball, then turn just in time to see an unchallenged Black chaser scoop the ball up and set sail for the goal line.
I would say that not all situations fit snugly into what the law makers were envisioning when they sat down and drafted each law.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Rushforth

The momentum in the "forward throw" discussion is that of the player and the ball together as the player runs forwards carrying it. When the player passes the ball, the two are separated, but the ball continues carry the momentum it had when the player and the ball were together. We allow for that, which is why we judge a forward pass by the action of the passer, and the direction the pass throws the ball "relative to himself

There are three main ways that the ball is knocked on

1. A player hits the ball forward with his hand or arm when attempting to play it. There is no momentum consider here becasue the ball is not being carried. The ball has its own momentum, and it is changed when the player attempts to play it. If the change in momentum result in the ball travelling forward from the player, that is a knock on.

2. The ball hits the player on the hand or arm. Again, there is no momentum consider here becasue the ball is not being carried. The ball has its own momentum, and it is changed when it strikes the player's hand or arm. If the change in momentum result in the ball travelling forward from the player, that is a knock on.

3. A player carrying the ball loses possession. In this case, while you could argue there is combined momentum of the ball and ball carrier, it is irrelevant because the ball goes forwards from the player.

Momentum does not apply to a knock forwards under any circumstances. Williams knocks towards his opposition's goal-line (that's C&O) and it was played by an offside teammate (that's also C&O). Read MAY have touched the ball in flight, but that was not C&O, therefore, it didn't happen.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I disagree as per my #168

Sorry, I will rephrase

"Momentum of the player does not apply to a knock forwards under any circumstances"

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Here is just a thought. Just something I'll throw out there for people to consider. The idea doesn't need to be poo-pooed by anyone, just asking for civil opinions.

What is the intent of the offside law that says a player who is in front of a team mate who last played the ball is offside and one way of putting himself onside would be to run behind the team mate who touched it before playing the ball himself?
Is it the intent of the law that the offside player run behind the place where the team mate last played the ball or behind that same player if he had started to move forward, or must he run behind his team mate no matter what the circumstances?
Scenario:
Black kick long in general play and the kicker chases the ball downfield. Red 15 and Red 14 run back towards the ball (towards their own DBL) with Red 15 some 12m closer to the ball than Red 14. Red 15 gets a hand to the bouncing ball but over-runs it and is unable to stop on the wet surface before going another 10m towards his own goal line. The ball comes to rest. Red 14 is now just 5m ahead of the Black kicker in the race to the ball which is 5m closer to Red's DBL than when 15 touched it. Red 14 now has to run past the ball, beyond his 15 who is 10m past where he first made contact with the ball, then turn just in time to see an unchallenged Black chaser scoop the ball up and set sail for the goal line.
I would say that not all situations fit snugly into what the law makers were envisioning when they sat down and drafted each law.

The place where the ball was touched is the point through which "offside line" passes. That line can move towards the touching player's opponent's DBL but it cannot move toward the touching player's own DBL.

In your scenario...

Black's offside line is created when the Black player kicks the ball. It moves upfield with him as he chases the ball, putting any black team-mates he passes onside.

Red's offside line is created when Red 15 touches the ball. The offside line can only stay where it is, or if Red 15 moves towards his opponent's DBL, the line moves with him, but if he moves towards his own DBL, the offside line stays where it is

If the ball stops where Red 15 touches it, I would expect Red 14 to go around and pick the ball up from his own side of the ball, or I would ping him fior playing the ball from an offside position

If the ball continues to roll on after Red 15 touches it, then Red 14 can pick up the ball so long as he has passed the point where Red 15 touched it. However, it might pay him to still go around and pick the ball up from his own side of the ball to make it clear to the referee that he is making an effort to play the ball from an onside position

Last edited:

_antipodean_

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
here you go. Forget the 1/2 way line. KR needs to be behind ball. Not in line with ball ... behind it.

View attachment 3577

To make this easier; just tell me the source of your footage so I don't have to squint at that screenshot you took with a potato.

Here's a screenshot of the point Barrett has just kicked the ball from the FoxSports footage. The SkySports footage is the same for obvious reasons.

OwqmPQGl.jpg

I don;t think anyone has claimed that he could have avoided it. The point being made is that he caught it rather than just let it hit him.

Precisely.

Well it kind of is, Ian.

We haven't been able to conclusively say whether or not the ball came off KR first/last/at all.

Maybe KO thought it came off KR, went to play it, and thought "sh*t maybe not" just in case, and therefore let it go.

If we take it back to the moment of the KR challenge in the air, it seems entirely equitable to me to award a scrum here with there being no conclusive (clear and obvious) picture on who contacted the ball - and that is slowed down and analysed, not real time/under pressure/retreating from the wrong side of play.

It's C&O it comes off Williams.

If the argument that Faumuina should be (rightly) penalised for instinctively tackling someone who is carrying the ball running at the line should be penalised, the same holds true here.

He did. The footage clewarly shows Owens lifting his arms to catch the ball.

But thank you for confirming what I had suspected all along. The ball does change direction by almost 90° all of a sudden, doesn't it? It is almost as if the ball was initially kicked in the rough direction of the touch-in-goal opposite the camera, and then deflected back towards the goal posts or even the near-side corner flag.

The fact of the matter is, however, that if you put your mouse over where the ball is in the first frame, and then watch in which direction the ball travels, it is clearly and very obviously (even in real time, to me, but then I've only watched and played a few thousand rugby matches) impossible that there is a knock-on by Red, on the basis of the animated gif, and I am sure you can do better.

That leaves us with general play, but we have to remember the definition: "In general play a player is offside if the player is in front of a team-mate who is carrying the ball, or in front of a team-mate who last played the ball." - and we don't even know if the Red catcher played the ball, for sure, on the basis of this one angle. So not C&O on that.

Really? I don't believe it could be more C&O:
3MqgNg4.gif

Owens clearly extends his arms out to catch the ball while looking at it.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
here you go. Forget the 1/2 way line. KR needs to be behind ball. Not in line with ball ... behind it.

View attachment 3577

Oh I see, just like at EVERY restart kick in every match on this tour, and Super Rugby, and the AP, and Top 14, and Shute Shield, And Pro 12......

I find it rather annoying (and childish) that posters here continue to clutch at straws and drag the lamest reasons out of the bottom of the barrel to excuse Poite's glaring error

FACT: The man in front at restart was not C&O
FACT: KR competed fairly under the current protocol for fair competition in the air
FACT: Williams knocked the ball on - Clear and Obvious
FACT: Owens played the ball in an offside position - Clear and Obvious

and finally

FACT: Romain Poite and Jerome Garces combined to make complete pig's breakfast of a simple and straightforward decision.

...and by all accounts, (according to TigerCraig) WR senior referees have said they got it WRONG... and that is good enough for me.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
FACT: The man in front at restart was not C&O

He was certainly not behind the ball (as required by law) and it doesn't get much more C&O than that. You crack me up.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
FACT: Owens played the ball in an offside position - Clear and Obvious

That is inconsistent with your #173. The catcher caught the ball closer to his own DBL than where it was touched by the Lions player in the air. And even if the minutiae of parallax is taken into account, certainly not C&O offside. The direction the player is facing is irrelevant. onside

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Of Ian's four 'facts' i am interested only the fourth one , as that's the point in question .. what constitutes playing the ball.

I agree he played it
RP gave a scrum on the basis that he didn't really play it, it was all accidental

That's an interesting discussion

The other three issues are just Meh. There are no interesting Law , reffing or game management lessons to learn from them.

Rich_NL

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
There are three main ways that the ball is knocked on

1. A player hits the ball forward with his hand or arm when attempting to play it. There is no momentum consider here becasue the ball is not being carried. The ball has its own momentum, and it is changed when the player attempts to play it. If the change in momentum result in the ball travelling forward from the player, that is a knock on.

2. The ball hits the player on the hand or arm. Again, there is no momentum consider here becasue the ball is not being carried. The ball has its own momentum, and it is changed when it strikes the player's hand or arm. If the change in momentum result in the ball travelling forward from the player, that is a knock on.

3. A player carrying the ball loses possession. In this case, while you could argue there is combined momentum of the ball and ball carrier, it is irrelevant because the ball goes forwards from the player.

Momentum does not apply to a knock forwards under any circumstances.

Definitions, the law book:

"A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.

‘Forward’ means towards the opposing team’s dead ball line."

The law book explicitly contradicts a "forward from the player" interpretation. Is there a clarification somewhere to let us conclude otherwise?