London Welsh v Cornish Pirates AT OXFORD UNITED!

Chunky Charvis

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Bit shocked at this. I was planning on going to Old Deer Park for this, for what would have been a great occasion. Not so sure I fancy it now!

L'irlandais

, Promises to Referee in France
Post Likes
Hello Chunky Charvis,
The official line is this : London Welsh have taken this opportunity to showcase the Kassam Stadium because it is one of the grounds where the club could play next season if they are promoted to the Aviva Premiership.
(One draw back is that it's 4 miles from the train station, so not really walkable. On the positive side it has a capacity of 12,500 (all seated)
Part of the problem with the Old Deer Park is that it's a 5,850-capacity stadium (around 1000 seats). On the positive side it's under 15 minutes walk from tube and train.
Seems inevitable ; like London Irish whose first squad no longer play in Sunbury, the Avenue (was 6600) (Madejski stadium has a capacity of 24,161 all seated)

Off topic question : Anyone got an update on the Exiles relocation plans?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Off topic question : Anyone got an update on the Exiles relocation plans?

The last I heard (a month ago) from my mate who is LI ex CFO (and shareholder) is that there were still planing permission issues with both re-development of the Avenue site for housing - local residents in the Avenue's £1m + detached houses don't want a 200 dwelling estate at the end of their gardens !

Have a look at http://www.spelthorne.gov.uk/environment___planning/planning/londonirish.htm ! They lost appeal back in November 2011 so have re-submitted for 200 odd dwellings. The new application for the Rugby Centre of Excellence at Hazelwood is the same as the scheme which was dismissed on appeal, except that a legal agreement will be required to ensure that community benefits are delivered regardless of whether or not The Avenue development goes ahead.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Be interesting to see where this all ends up - I hear conflicting rumours and positions from different sides.

Using Kassam is a good way of getting a decent crowd (and pay day even with ground hire) out from London / Home Counties and up the M4/A34 from the Principality.

Griffin Park (Brentford) is a dump and not right for rugby - was QPR's Loftus Road ever for Wasps, and it is a much more modern stadium ?
Ground share with Quins is a possible call (or used as back up ground) subject to what Broncos do.

And it looks like London Welsh are preparing things for a legal fight with RFU / ERP if they beat Pirates - enough lawyers on Committee to give RFU a run for the money ! Lots of pre-emptive statements etc 'on the record'.

But the premiership ground audit closed on 30th March (we can debate the detail of that audit and I find the capacity level wrong) but no ground tenure was signed, either alone or with co-user, and no secondary back up ground nominated. So some are arguing LW are too late. If RFU agree to a post 30th March agreement, they may be sued by Rotherham, who were denied promotion in the same circumstances some seasons ago. The only winners in all of this will be the lawyers - total mess !

My real worry is that this ongoing issue may prompt a toytal ring fencing of the Premiership. And even if LW win and are allowed in can they do an Exeter ? Unlikely as the finances and structure Exeter built pre promotiona re not in place at LW - for a start Exeter own Sandy Park so no grund rent to pay (a big cost for some other Premiership clubs - e.g. London Irish).

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
I remember when Quins ground shared with London Irish; it was a unhappy experience. I can remember talking to Mark Evans afterwards and him saying they learned a lesson, and would never ground share with premiership rival again.

Of course Evs is gone now, and new management exist to make the same mistake.

But they did pour cold water on the idea on their website this week

http://www.quins.co.uk/news/6256.php

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
My real worry is that this ongoing issue may prompt a toytal ring fencing of the Premiership.
I agree. However those who point at this scenario will still have to argue that Exeter's success should be ignored.