London Welsh v Saracens

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
Luke Pearce just blew final whistle after a scrum went up.

Is that right?

Thought the scrum had to be completed.

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
I thought so too. And I thought Saracens took the scrum down in the first place. Also they were constantly offside, not rolling away, and very lucky not to have been carded in that final 5 minutes.

JohnP

Post Likes
Puzzled re another point. De kock seriously injured carried off on stretcher so obviously not coming back why was wrigglesworth allowed to come back on having been tactically substituted. There may have been blood but refs mic picked up talking about serious neck injury. Didn't think that this was in rules. Am I wrong/missing something?

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
As long as there is blood it can be a blood change, no matter if there are other injuries also.

andyscott

Referees in England
Post Likes
Luke Pearce just blew final whistle after a scrum went up.

Is that right?

Thought the scrum had to be completed.

No he was wrong, simples. And apologised after the game to the players apparently ;)

johnnied

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Puzzled re another point. De kock seriously injured carried off on stretcher so obviously not coming back why was wrigglesworth allowed to come back on having been tactically substituted. There may have been blood but refs mic picked up talking about serious neck injury. Didn't think that this was in rules. Am I wrong/missing something?

De Kock went off with concussion, and went off for a Pitch Side Concussion Assessment. Details here

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes
No he was wrong, simples. And apologised after the game to the players apparently ;)

I know you can blow up in certain circumstances (i did on Saturday because of a neck injury at scrum. law 5.7 (d)
(d) The referee has the power to end the match at any time, if the referee believes that play should not continue because it would be dangerous.
) match was already won 30 point difference.

1 more scrum offence and we may have been looking at a penalty try? critical error?

JohnP

Post Likes
Nothing in concussion assessment or blood replacements says a player already substituted ( other than a front row player) can return as the temporary sub surely?
Maybe I've been living under a misunderstanding for years. With rolling subs at youth level we don't have to worry about it!

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
As long as there is blood it can be a blood change, no matter if there are other injuries also.
We don't have blood changes any more, do we?

Aren't they all "interchanges", no matter what the reason?

Jenko

Referees in England
Post Likes

Above level 5 there are still blood bin's. Interchanges apply below level5 where adopted by CB. (I believe)

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Nothing in concussion assessment or blood replacements says a player already substituted ( other than a front row player) can return as the temporary sub surely?
Maybe I've been living under a misunderstanding for years.

It may be that you have:-

3.12.(a) If a player is substituted, that player must not return and play in that match, even to replace an injured player.

Exception 1: a substituted player may replace a player with an open or bleeding wound.

Exception 2: a substituted player may replace a front row player when injured, temporarily suspended or sent off unless the referee has ordered uncontested scrums prior to the event which led to the front row player leaving the field of play and the team has used all the permitted replacements and substitutions.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes

- blood is still a special case to deal with as bleeding player has to leave the field so unless they play with 14 it's a forced interchange (and another if they bring him back). If he is STE it really is a forced interchange (assuming a scrum)