Maintaining penalty count

Dave Sherwin

Referees in the Cayman Islands
Post Likes
We have an up and coming referee who is doing very well in a multitude of areas, so this is only a minor issue, but they are really struggling with being able to maintain a handle on each team's penalty count. I'm struggling a little to come up with good ideas to assist him on this as it isn't something I have personally found difficult. Anyone got any good techniques for keeping track of each team's count?

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
For a while I tried winding a bit of masking tape around two fingers on my left hand so that I could make a mark on each at breaks in play to record recent penalties...... It was only moderately successful but did force me to think more about the issue and this solved the problem in the end.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
For a while I tried winding a bit of masking tape around two fingers on my left hand so that I could make a mark on each at breaks in play to record recent penalties...... It was only moderately successful but did force me to think more about the issue and this solved the problem in the end.

Last season I had something similar, a piece of white tape underneath my watch that poked out about an inch, spilt in two home/away and with TRM and Scrum/OS written, this way after a penalty I could make a quick pencil mark as these 2 areas are the most contested areas and liable to large penalty counts in a game. It was very subtle and as you didnt need to make a mark straight away no-one really noticed.

This was mentioned at an SRU ref coaches meeting and although a few people laughed initially at the idea when they were informed of the success of this in principle and in pratice a few copied the idea.

No longer using it this season though as better mentally prepared for penalty counts.

Last edited:

Dave Sherwin

Post Likes
I find it very useful to have the number to hand for interacting with captain - "Skipper, you only had three penalties in the first half, but we've started with three in the first five minutes of this half. I know they've come back out a bit excited, but let's see if we can get that first half approach back, can we?"

Dave Sherwin

Post Likes
There we go - cracking ideas from the forum and much appreciated. Will pass these on and see how things go. Might test-run myself too!

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Sesame St aside I use a piece of masking tape on my fingers and mark them with my pencil.

Ha Ha Ha

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
do you all hold your pencil in your hand the whole time then ?

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Last season I had something similar, a piece of white tape underneath my watch that poked out about an inch, spilt in two home/away and with TRM and Scrum/OS written, this way after a penalty I could make a quick pencil mark as these 2 areas are the most contested areas and liable to large penalty counts in a game. It was very subtle and as you didnt need to make a mark straight away no-one really noticed.

This was mentioned at an SRU ref coaches meeting and although a few people laughed initially at the idea when they were informed of the success of this in principle and in pratice a few copied the idea.

No longer using it this season though as better mentally prepared for penalty counts.

Like it Matty, pragmatic and solved your problem. Well done.

Last edited:

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
do you all hold your pencil in your hand the whole time then ?

Erm no because that would just be a waste of time and look stupid, pencil in your pocket, if team kicking to corner and not going quick then whip it out and make your mark or when you get to the place of the LO do the same.

If team do go quick then make your mark at next available stoppage, easier to count 2 or 3 close together than have a handle on 10+ PK's.

IMAG1152.jpg

Last edited:

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
cool. I might try it.
I wouldn't have H and A though, I'd write the colours.

matty1194

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
cool. I might try it.
I wouldn't have H and A though, I'd write the colours.

Normally would have Capts name on the left and colour on the right. ie Dave (A) Pink

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
do you get helpful #9s reading your wrist and commenting on the oppo's high penalty count ?

last week I had a #9 asking me why time wasn't up - when he could see 41:00 on my watch.... (Ans: he was looking at the wrong watch)

Womble

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
So you guys still carry pencils !!:pepper::pepper:Newbies don't bite & a merry Christmas to you all xx

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
So you guys still carry pencils !!:pepper::pepper:Newbies don't bite & a merry Christmas to you all xx

:biggrin:

Merry Christmas!

Go on - open one of your advent calendar windows yourself!

Shelflife

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Thats a good solution matty, its something ive struggled with this year so will look at implementing that idea.

OS/S is that offside and scrums

TRM tactical/ruck/Maul ?

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I like the tape idea. Might even try if for keeping the score.