Making the ball dead

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
"....Any other action with the ball means the player has elected to play on" 13.15.b

So - NO - he does not have the option of picking up the ball, briefly assessing options then making the ball dead.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
"....Any other action with the ball means the player has elected to play on" 13.15.b

So - NO - he does not have the option of picking up the ball, briefly assessing options then making the ball dead.
That has certainly always been my understanding.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
the player makes his assessment whilst approaching the ball, not once he picks it up, whjich is too late and if he delays he loses the scrum back option.

Jenson

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Believe it or not I had this happen in an U12 game. It really threw me, but I gave the option of a Kick Again or Scrum anyway. I admit I wasn't 100% sure, but when I get home was relieved that it was correct.

As Phil E says, what you have to ask yourself is "Was it done immediately"? If the defender picked it up, pranced around in-goal for a while to waste time and draw in the attackers ... only to welly it over the DBL as soon as they got within a few metres, then he's lost the scrum back option.

Did he kick it from hand or just a straight kick? If he kicked it without catching it at U12 he has given away a penalty? Don't think his team mates would be too pleased.

dave_clark

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 15 - 11
in england. it may be different elsewhere.

Jenson

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Under 12s do play 15 a side in Wales so kicking is probably allowed. Apologies.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
At under 12 the player is only allowed to kick from hand. Kicking a loose ball is not allowed, PK.

Interesting.

In our very junior Aussie Rules we have the same variation. Universally known as soccering the ball.

I assume your variation applies only to general play and the players can play the ball with their feet in a ruck?

Jenson

Player or Coach
Post Likes
Yes it only applies to open play. You can use the foot in a ruck and scrum.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Did he kick it from hand or just a straight kick? If he kicked it without catching it at U12 he has given away a penalty? Don't think his team mates would be too pleased.
In my game, we were playing across the pitch (so may have been even younger than U12) and the ball was kicked into what was in effect in-goal - ie what would have been the 5m channel in a senior game. I was surprised a 11yr old could kick it that far, and was even more surprised when a defender just ran up to it and kicked it over the DBL.

Good point though Jenson, so I looked it up in this years Pathway notes.

KICKING: Only in your own half.

PENALTY: All penalties are free kicks – place ball on ground and tap with foot, correct technique must apply to restart the game.

So this year I assume it would have been a FK or a Free Pass. It's a totally different game; and I find it confusing.

Last edited:

PaulDG

Referees in England
Post Likes
In my game, we were playing across the pitch (so may have been even younger than U12) and the ball was kicked into what was in effect in-goal - ie what would have been the 5m channel in a senior game. I was surprised a 11yr old could kick it that far,...

In England we have a "special" variation of the Age Grade Regulations called "Emerging Schools Variations".

These ban all kicking of any kind - as many of the players in these games have never played rugby before but are keen footballers, allowing them to kick on a half sized pitch almost always results in the ball being kicked through the DBL! Hence the ban.