Marius Jonker retires

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I'm sure some of you have read that SA referee Marius Jonker has retired from international duty.

http://sareferees.com/News/jonker-stops-international-refereeing/2829765/

It seems one of his major concerns was the travel and time away from his family. From the article his last four international tests were "Fiji vs Tonga, Tonga vs Samoa, Canada vs USA and Canada vs Italy." Although I am certain Dave Pearson reffed the Canada vs Italy game back in June (I was at the game). I think Jonker reffed USA vs Italy. Either way that is quite a lot of travelling for a ref from SA, and while some of the locations are exotic, I imagine it wears on you.

Should the IRB be doing more to develop regional refs, and perhaps keeping refs closer to home for the most part? And having them travel only once or twice a year to get a varied experience? I don't think I've ever seen a ref from the Pacific Nations, or North America take hold of a Test match.

Perhaps take some up and coming refs from NA, or the Pacific and throw them into the second division Euro leagues or ITM and Currie Cup competitions as ARs and if good enough take hold of a few games to develop them?

There should be no reason that a ref has to be shipped from SA to officiate a Canada vs USA match.

On a side note, I met him at a society meeting and he seemed like a honest and straight forward guy.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Shame. I first saw him when he took charge of the Eng v Sco game and he was a fantastic referee. Continued for through to 2007 RWC then had a terrible game (Eng v Sco again I believe) and never came back from it.

Still was one of the best refs in Super Rugby IMHO.

I wish him all the best in the domestic leagues.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
he was one of the better for sure.

it was a french guy that did US v Italy in texas last summer.

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
I'm pretty sure Marius reffed the Canada vs Italy game. Dave Pearson and Stuart Barry were the AR's

Guyseep

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
I'm pretty sure Marius reffed the Canada vs Italy game. Dave Pearson and Stuart Barry were the AR's

Nope, I was at the game. Dave Pearson was the ref. Jonker might have done Canada vs USA in Kingston. Barry did Canada vs Georgia in BC.

pwhaling

Referees in America
Post Likes
Guyseep:227766 said:

Nope, I was at the game. Dave Pearson was the ref. Jonker might have done Canada vs USA in Kingston. Barry did Canada vs Georgia in BC.
My bad. You are correct

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
USA v Italy was Jerome Garces.

:eek:fftopic:

Wish you Well Mr Jonker.

Cave Dweller

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
This will be a huge blow to the Bulls. Losing their playmaker at a time when they are rebuilding.....