Mark - early tackle

scarlet referee

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
A player receives a ball no more than a couple of meters inside his 22 from a cross field kick and calls a mark, he takes it quickly to take advantage of the open space in front of him when one of the opposition who chased the cross field tackles him within a couple of meters. ??

What should decision have been?

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
21.8 Options the opposing team have at a free kick

(a) Must run from the mark. The opposing team must immediately run towards their own goal line until they are at least 10 metres away from the mark for the free kick, or until they have reached their goal line if that is nearer the mark. If the free kick is in a defending teams in-goal area, the opposing team must immediately run towards their own goal line until they are at least 10 metres away from the mark and not nearer than 5 metres from the goal line.

(b) Must keep running. Even if the free kick is taken and the kicker’s team is playing the ball, opposing players must keep running until they have retired the necessary distance. They must not take part in the game until they have done so.

(c) Kick taken quickly. If the free kick is taken so quickly that opponents have no opportunity to retire, they will not be penalised for this. However, they must continue to retire as described in 21.8(b) above or until a team-mate who was 10 metres from the mark has run in front of them, before they take part in the game.

Sanction: Any infringement by the opposing team results in a second free kick, awarded 10 metres in front of the mark for the first kick.

Last edited:

scarlet referee

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Any reason why it couldn't be a penalty?? Just seemed a little crafty by the opposition player, tackled player early, bought time to get his players back in line, and the mark was advanced outside of the 22 so couldn't kick straight to touch. Who gained advantage??

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
PK at place of infringement for deliberate infringement?

This is why I believe an FK should always give a gain in ground. Advancing an FK can be a disadvantage.

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Well, I think It should be possible to take the fk from behind the 22m and have gain in ground

winchesterref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
If it was cynical I wouldn't have any qualms about escalating to a penalty

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
I'm not sure there is enough info here.

Red player kicks, red supporter from onside position chases.

Blue FB catches and calls mark, ref quickly peeps to award it. As this occurs red chaser is 11m away when Blue FB takes the mark FK.

Due to speed of closing chaser, blue FB gets collared just outside his 22.

How is that illegal?

I can summise potential illegalities if

*chaser was offside from his own team mates kick
(but now we are in the same territory as a kick to touch and offside players wrt QTIs etc)

*chaser was onside from kick BUT is < 10m from catcher when mark FK is taken

None of these details are available from the OP - although there is no suggestion of offside form the kick, so the only likely infringement is if the chaser was <10m from the catcher at the taking of the mark FK. What was it SR?

didds

scarlet referee

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
No issue with offside from kick, but was literally challenging for the ball when player calls mark and never any where near 10 metres back when player took it quickly, but makes the tackle regardless.

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Did the referee blow his whistle?

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Did the referee blow his whistle?
Exactly. I know he "called for a Mark" ..... But did the referee actually give it?

If he hadn't blown, then tackle away son. Players are told to play to the whistle.

If the ref had blown and given a Mark, then that's a PK offence right there.

Last edited: