Mark from a penalty

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Greens have been awarded a penalty on blues 10m line. Greens opt to kick to touch. The kicker misses touch and the ball is caught by a Blue defender on the Blue 5m line. He then marks the ball, which I gave.
Was I correct in doing this :Nerv: , or are the recieveing team not allowed to mark from a penalty kick :confused: ?

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
all law 18 says anything close to this is

"A mark cannot be made from a kick-off, or a restart kick except for a drop-out."

Nothing about PKs so yes.

didds

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Only kick-offs and restarts are omitted in Law 18.

So if he is inside 22m, or has one foot on 22m line a mark is available (if caught and called of course).

There is another thread regarding a jumping catcher (who takes off inside 22m, lands outside 22m, and catches in mid air.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
When I was assistant coach to my lad's team (U15 in Yorkshire Cup)) a few years ago I was Club/Coach TJ to a Society Referee. We were winning by about 2/3 pts with only minutes left and oppos had a penalty. As I trotted behind posts I said to our lot if it falls short catch it and call a mark (to cynically waste a bit of time :biggrin: ) . It did and we did - "Play on - you can't mark a penalty" says Society fella :mad: :mad: :mad: as our skinny SH gets driven into in goal. Anyway we muck up their scrum and they balls it up and we clear our lines. Our scrum half blames me for the advice and I have to explain later that the referee is wrong.

"Why didn't you tell him?" say SH.
"Well you see becasue I am in a secret brotherhood whereby if I criticise him..................................."

Ooooh I was cross :mad: :mad: . It's the nearest I've come to "tellin' 'im"

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
"Why didn't you tell him?" say SH.
"Well you see becasue I am in a secret brotherhood whereby if I criticise him.........." Ooooh I was cross :mad: :mad: . It's the nearest I've come to "tellin' 'im"
He wouldn't have changed his mind anyway. :D

tim White

Referees in England
Post Likes
You could have asked him to check it later in the privacy of his own home so he did not get it wrong again -some refs even ring to appologise.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Constructive objective criticism is an expected thing within the 'brotherhood' (as long as it preceeeded by the hand-shake & visual greeting. Especially if it is fundamental Law like this one, that can be looked up !