Martin Johnson resigns

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
The BBC reports:

"England team manager Martin Johnson has stood down after three and a half years in the role.

His decision follows a miserable World Cup which ended in quarter-final defeat by France and featured a series of on and off-field controversies.

The 41-year-old won 84 caps for England as a player, leading the side to victory in the 2003 World Cup.

Johnson and the Rugby Football Union's director of elite rugby Rob Andrew will hold a press conference at 1600 GMT."

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Martin Bayfield was on R5Live saying he was dissappointed but not surprised.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
The BBC reports: "England team manager Martin Johnson has stood down after three and a half years in the role.

His decision follows a miserable World Cup which ended in quarter-final defeat by France and featured a series of on and off-field controversies. The 41-year-old won 84 caps for England as a player, leading the side to victory in the 2003 World Cup.
I genuinely feel sorry for MJ.

No matter how good a coach you are, the old saying "You can't polish a turd" still holds true.

Wales got rid of Graham Henry years ago after a string of poor results. This is the same Graham Henry that coached the All Blacks to World Cup glory a few weeks ago. The coach is only as good as the players he's given.

kaypeegee

Referees in England
Post Likes
"Johnson's resignation may well lead to increased calls for his immediate boss, Rob Andrew, to step down as well."
Alastair Eykyn, BBC Sport rugby union commentator
:clap:

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
"Johnson's resignation may well lead to increased calls for his immediate boss, Rob Andrew, to step down as well."
Alastair Eykyn, BBC Sport rugby union commentator :clap:
It'll take a lot more than "increased calls" to make Teflon Rob walk away from a comfortable sinecure and £300k per annum.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Press conference with MJ and RA at 4 pm this afternoon. Pitch side photo opportunities are not available says the RFU PR notice.

Sorry for MJ, but have always thought he should never have been given the job. My sources say Mallett has already been given first refusal, and that merry hell is exploding all round Twickenham as no one called Shaun Edwards (nor it seems has anyone spoken to Rowntree, Smith, Ford, Aldred, etc). Why hasn't RA made those calls, and remind me who is still "acting CEO" ?

RA "teflon" techniques started early - I never saw him buy a round (big Gav H was usually one with hands in pocket) at the Berkeley Square pubs (a lot of London's top players after Oxbridge were Chartered Surveyors back then), and never saw him after the match the couple of times I played against him as a Wasp.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
I understand Mallet would refuse the gig if RA stays in post looking over his shoulder. He points to Sir Alex Ferguson, pointing out that you can't imagine him with a "director of football" sitting above him. I imagine a lot of the top boys would say the same.

4eyesbetter

Referees in England
Post Likes
On the other hand, you might well point to a large number of sports in almost every other country in the world, where a board-level role called something like "sporting director" or "general manager" is standard and works well at keeping things that aren't directly related to winning matches out of the head coach's hair, as long as the board chappie and the head coach are willing to work with the system and not try to do the other bloke's job.

GeorgeR

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Whatever happens it has to be clear, decisive and in the interest of rugby at all levels..... :deadhorse: ?

Mike Selig

Referees in England
Post Likes
On the other hand, you might well point to a large number of sports in almost every other country in the world, where a board-level role called something like "sporting director" or "general manager" is standard and works well at keeping things that aren't directly related to winning matches out of the head coach's hair, as long as the board chappie and the head coach are willing to work with the system and not try to do the other bloke's job.

I agree entirely. However the rumours are that RA was interfering in the technical side of things, which if true is unacceptable. As a coach myself (obviously at a far lower level) I hate it when board members try to tell me how to do my job:
1) I know the players far better than they do, I know what they're capable of and what their limits are, how to motivate them, etc.
2) Mostly they have zero technical/tactical knowledge (this is not the case with RA)
3) It challenges my authority which if it reaches the players cannot be a good thing
4) I am working to a plan, they are usually reacting.

If rumours about interference from blazers are true, then changing coach won't make much difference IMO.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Mallett should not get the job.

A national coach or manager should be from the country concerned. Appointing a carpet bagger is simply not on.

Davet

Post Likes
Mostly they have zero technical/tactical knowledge (this is not the case with RA)

You sure about that?

He could kick a ball to touch but frankly that was about it. Much as it pains me to say so, Barnes was a far better 10.

Taff

Referees in Wales
Post Likes
Mallett should not get the job. A national coach or manager should be from the country concerned. Appointing a carpet bagger is simply not on.
In an ideal world I'd agree with you, but sadly it isn't. The best available coach may not be from the country concerned. Eg Graham Henry coached Wales a few years ago, and is still held in very high regard by most people I know. Warren Gatland is another Kiwi and is one of the best coaches we've ever had - if not the best. There would be uproar here if anyone dared suggest that we ditch Gatland in favour of a Welsh coach. We tried that, and it didn't work. Ok, hopefully in time (ie after Gatlands day) we may find another Welsh coach who could lead us to World Cup glory ... but there's nobody that stands out at the moment.

OB..

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
He could kick a ball to touch but frankly that was about it. Much as it pains me to say so, Barnes was a far better 10.
Rob Andrew played a different game for Wasps than for England. He adapted to the style required. Barnes thought he could impose himself on an international in the same way he could at club level, and he couldn't. As I saw it.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
In an ideal world I'd agree with you, but sadly it isn't. The best available coach may not be from the country concerned. Eg Graham Henry coached Wales a few years ago, and is still held in very high regard by most people I know. Warren Gatland is another Kiwi and is one of the best coaches we've ever had - if not the best. There would be uproar here if anyone dared suggest that we ditch Gatland in favour of a Welsh coach. We tried that, and it didn't work. Ok, hopefully in time (ie after Gatlands day) we may find another Welsh coach who could lead us to World Cup glory ... but there's nobody that stands out at the moment.

In fact three of the four RWC semi-final coaches were Kiwis; Henry, Gatland & Deans, and the fourth team didn't appear to have a coach at all :biggrin:

Davet

Post Likes
If you can't win with a home grown coach then you don't deserve to win.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I was wondering..... If Dean Richards hadn't blotted his copybook with "Bloodgate", would he be in line for the England job?

I'd be interested to hear from those who are more in touch with England rugby than I am.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Yes Deano would have been a very strong candidate but after Bloodgate........................ho hum