Match Day Food

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Help.............

I've been struggling so far thi season with my match day food. I am getting to the 60th minute and my energy reserves just seem to die on me. This isn't a matter of me being unfit, I am able to keep going for the 80 minutes.

I'm positive it's to do with my diet as during my assessments so fay there has been no mention of my fitness, however, it's something I am not happy with and am trying to resolve.

Could anyone please help and try to point me in the right direction with regards to your match day meals please?

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Fry(grill) up Saturday morning-not too big. Porridge and banana(s) at midday(ish).

Dr STU and ddjamo will come up with menus based on food you can't buy in normal countries but seem to know the science behind nutrition. I say appear-I can't stay awake long enough to read any of it.:biggrin:

Best of luck.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Maybe its a mental thing. Are your legs giving out or your concentration?

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Best way to start is to tell us what your current diet is like for the week and game day. What training are you doing?
Help.............

I've been struggling so far thi season with my match day food. I am getting to the 60th minute and my energy reserves just seem to die on me. This isn't a matter of me being unfit, I am able to keep going for the 80 minutes.

I'm positive it's to do with my diet as during my assessments so fay there has been no mention of my fitness, however, it's something I am not happy with and am trying to resolve.

Could anyone please help and try to point me in the right direction with regards to your match day meals please?

Waspsfan

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 5
Haribo Tangtastics at half time - the key to my second half energy burst, and the most vital thing in my kit bag!

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
I generally have some poached eggs, smoked salmon and some avocado at about 9:30, then will have a red bull or something like that just as I am arriving to the ground and that will fuel me right through the game. However I will have a protein shake after my game as well to get some sort of recovery happening.

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
Best way to start is to tell us what your current diet is like for the week and game day. What training are you doing?

My diet during the weeks is pretty bland, the same thing every day pretty much.....

Breakfast - 3 weetabix with a small amount of semi skimmed milk
1030, 1300 and 1530 I have a Sci Mx Diet Shake
Evening Meal (1800 ish) a bowl of soup with 3 x Ryvita.

My trainng varies, I tend to do weights in the evening (all over body workout) Monday to Thursday with some form of spinning thrown in at lunch time on a Tuesday and Thursday. Friday and Sunday (if I don't have a fixture) are my recovery days.
90% of the time I do referee on a Wednesday afternoon also, if this is the case I tend to either do the weights session i the morning, or not bother at all, depending on the level of the fixture.

On match day I tend to have my usual breakfast of 3 x weetabix at 100 - 1030, with some form of energy drink prior to KO.

I try not to take any protein supplements as the protein is already in the diet shake I take.

Oh, and 3/4 pieces of fruit a day.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:

MattB

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Digging into the dark recesses of my memory, the liver can store about 1 hours worth of glycogen (depending upon how much exercise is done). The easy answer I use is goo* at half time

*goo = instant and sustained energy source (sugar) that you can spend a lot of money for the small sachets or a 50g chocolate bar

beckett50

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Personally I have a breakfast of Granola with fat free natural yoghurt (as I do every day). This is usually consumed at about 1000 together with my usual ProMaX shake & fresh lemon with ginger drink.

Lunch? Occasionally. Sandwich/pastie/sushi about 2-hours before kick-off.

An hour before kick off I start loading with 1litre of electrolytes etc and take 500ml more on board at half-time. Remember to grab a water drink at conversion kicks or other kicks for goal. (The bloke with the tee always has a water bottle for the kicker, just avail yourself of it ;))

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

I have no nutritional knowledge at all - but it seems to me you do a lot of activity on this pox-ridden diet stuff. Are you overcoming a real weight issue? If not, I'd add in a proper meal If you are - I think I'd still add in a proper meal. You clearly aren't giving yourself the calories you need.

taff426

Facebook Member
Post Likes
I have no nutritional knowledge at all - but it seems to me you do a lot of activity on this pox-ridden diet stuff. Are you overcoming a real weight issue? If not, I'd add in a proper meal If you are - I think I'd still add in a proper meal. You clearly aren't giving yourself the calories you need.

Dixie, your bang on, I am struggling with my weight. Currently hovering at 95/96 kg, struggling to lose anymore........ The reason it is a pox-ridden diet :D as you call it lol is because I am on a calorie controlled diet.

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
from what you have listed you don't have enough fuel nor do you have enough electrolytes - if any. I'm surprised you don't cramp up every match.

you can still control calories with proper food - starving yourself you will only get you "skinny fat." I am down 20lbs since I was in the mids and 10+ just since april. all water and some muscle. my bf is still 9%. it took me a long time to figure out my water/food adjustments.

address the diet and electrolyte issue. if you want some ideas - just say so. but what I do is something I have tweaked over years. I'm not lucky enough to have a natural runners build...I run like a three legged hippo and have had to work really hard at everything for the crazy hobby we all have.

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Friday night meal generally plenty of slow release carbs and protien - brown rice or whole grain pasta with a fish/meat thing (spicy, 'cos I like spice)

Matchday first thing probably muesli.

Matchday around 3 hours before kick off was generally a couple of poached eggs with 2 slices of wholemeal toast (slathered in real butter and marmite - (vit B helps use carbs)) and a small tin of baked beans. Plenty of Fruit juice, and a final slice of wholemeal toast with marmalade, and a mug of tea.

Before changing plenty of water, after changing I'd generally have half a banana, warm up and visit loo. At half time, other half of banana and generally a lucozade plus water.

Don't know if did any good, but I enjoyed it...

DrSTU

Referees in England
Post Likes
Basically your diet is crap. You're too focused on calories instead of nutrition. I'd try and add a bag of frozen veggies in per day and get some decent food in you at breakfast; maybe a high fibre tortilla with scrambled eggs and veggies.

Soup is not a meal, get some proper food in you.

My diet during the weeks is pretty bland, the same thing every day pretty much.....

My trainng varies, I tend to do weights in the evening (all over body workout) Monday to Thursday with some form of spinning thrown in at lunch time on a Tuesday and Thursday. Friday and Sunday (if I don't have a fixture) are my recovery days.
90% of the time I do referee on a Wednesday afternoon also, if this is the case I tend to either do the weights session i the morning, or not bother at all, depending on the level of the fixture.

On match day I tend to have my usual breakfast of 3 x weetabix at 100 - 1030, with some form of energy drink prior to KO.

I try not to take any protein supplements as the protein is already in the diet shake I take.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I lost nearly 8kg by changing basically my diet and not much else.

I had everyday:

Breakfast: 4 weet(a)bix with semi-skimmed milk.
about 1030: A piece of fruit.
Lunch: Salad with lots of tasty veg with some ham thrown in or similar. Don't be scared to try and add taste.
about 3pm: a piece of fruit
dinner: normal food the family was eating, but reduced portion size.

I found at the start I was still feeling very hungary, so I up'd the amount of protein at dinner and that sorted it all out.

I lost about 5kg in the first 2 weeks, then stayed same weight (body shape changed though) for next 6 weeks, then the next drop came.

I've gone back to about 95 now, but only as I've 'celebrated' the off season a little. Now the TRC is finished, back to the eating properly (see above) and do an 8-10km run every other morning before work & ride to and from work.

Easy!

The best add I saw was here in Aus, it simply said "Swap it, don't stop it".

I.e. don't stop drinking, just swap it for a better drink. Don't stop eating the curries, just swap it for healthier types or less portion size. so simple.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I saw a documentary on BBC (Horizon) a few weeks ago where Michael Mosely (a Dr.) the presenter was examining (in a TV sort of way) restricted calorie intake diets. At the end of the programme and after talking to a number of Science folk he adopted the practice of eating only 600 calories on two days per week then eating normally for the other 5 days. By the end of the programme he had done it for 6 weeks and had lost a significant amount of weight. His % body fat went from 27% to 18%. It also lowered his IGF1 readings (can't remember what that is a measure of specifically other than it is linked to ageing and health in later years).

He's in his early fifties.

His intention was to live like this from now on - maybe bollocks but it was interesting.

Last edited:

ddjamo

Referees in Canada
Post Likes
27% to 18% is only super fat to fat. so any calorie restriction will work when you're obese.

igf-1 went up you mean. you want high igf-1. it's a measure of growth hormone - of sorts.