Mathieu Raynal's injury

Loïc

Referees in Finland
Post Likes

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
That's painful. Like you, I hope he recovers swiftly and gets back to full strength.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Nasty. Hope he has a speedy recovery.

Chogan

Referees in Ireland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
*WARNING* If you're of a weak disposition please don't watch the video.

Having looked at it, it is a bit of a freak injury. I think it's safe to say that we have all been in very similar positions numerous times while taking the field with a whistle.
Fair play to the medical staff and players for reacting quickly.

Chunky Charvis

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Elite Panel
Oh my God that is horrendous...

If you are squeamish please do not watch it. I think it's even worse because as refs we can empathise with that situation easily happening.

Do you think we could send him a get well soon message on behalf of rugbyrefs.com or something?

Loïc

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
I sent him some messages yesterday, he answered to me this morning.

I can transfer him your messages if you want to.

Last edited:

Davet

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
Very nasty, the shot of the shin just bending was not good.

A friend of mine was once in a motor bike accident, car hit him from the side, his femur broke in two places, above and below where his leg was on the bike saddle. When I arrived about 30 seconds later on my own bike he was laid there saying "I've broken my leg" - how do you know" sez i - "watch!" and then moved his thigh one way and his knee went the other... I belived him. He was in no pain - then.

TheBFG

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Saw that this season to player, it's horrible! Looks like his left ankle took a good hit too! Like the OP said, wrong place wrong time.

Here's hoping for a good recovery!

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
OK, I am now officially too scared to watch it!

chbg

Referees in England
Solutions
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 7
OK, I am now officially too scared to watch it!

Just imagine that it occurred below deck. That ought to put you at ease.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
Agree, hope he makes a full recovery.

Reindeer Flotilla

Referees in America
Post Likes
Nasty. I add my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

I had that happen to a player in a match last November. Center offloaded and as I turned to follow the ball, I heard a sound like a 2x4 snapping in half. Except it wasn't a piece of lumber, but his tibia and fibula. Had to wait 30 minutes for an ambulance to arrive.

Pinky

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Hope he makes a full and speedy recovery. Lots of physio will be required I suspect.

MrQeu

Avid Rugby Lover
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Premier du tout, mes meilleurs voeux pour M RAYNAL

I have a friend who had a similar injury (broken bones in the lower leg) playing basketball. He had surgery and got a long peice of titanium and some screws.

6 years after, his main problem is airport security. He runs half marathons in 1h17 and is looking for a minus 2h45 in a marathon next year. So, as both are good sportspeople, and have good doctors and physios, I think M Raynal will make a good recovery and be in good shape not very long from now on.

FlipFlop

Referees in Switzerland
Post Likes
Same thing happened to me this weekend. Luckily/unluckily for me - no broken bones, but have a MRI scheduled to see if medial ligament broken in left knee.

damn SH picked and went blind at a defending scrum on the 5&5. I was on the touchline to check offsides for either the box kick, pass to the fh and kick or 8 pick and go open. Scrum didn't go to plan and SH scrambled blind, skipped one tackle, and as he got kick in the 8 tackled him and swung round like the guy above, and went through my knees....

out for rest of season. Arse. Especially as just fully back from last surgery to my right knee

macleod33

Referees in Finland
Post Likes
Luckily, there's no ligament problem. Unfortunately, the collarbone broken as well doesn't enable him to get up and about : 6 weeks immobilisation.

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Best recovery wishes for Mr Raynal.

That looks like super nasty indeed...
To be added to the IRB introduction video about "Referee is a dangerous sport"...

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Awful luck, Get Well soon .....

Q? what's the best position to take up to avoid being in the open side gain line channel ?

talbazar

Referees in Singapore
Post Likes
Q? what's the best position to take up to avoid being in the open side gain line channel ?

If you've got really good eye-sight, sitted on the cross bar... If not, I'm afraid you need to be in this area. Maybe slightly further away from the ruck...