Maul not Moving Forward

vimpe22

Referees in Sri Lanka
Post Likes
Would you consider this as maul not moving fwd
  1. Once formed, a maul must move towards a goal line.
Is there any difference if you take the line out law Line out not over

Attachments

• c14eff4c-6151-4ef8-9279-13dd56d041b2.mov
    5.5 MB

Flish

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Got to give it time to breathe, maul was set, went sideways, at this point it’s still moving at a decent pace and could easily start moving forward - which arguably it does, and then is called as collapsed - so all good for me.

If it were moving slower and didn’t appear to go anywhere then I’d probably warn the nine and then ask him to use it and get something positive happening

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
That looks like great crowd - what game / series and where?

All good for me, agree with @Flish, but even if 'stopped' at lineout (playing devils advocate) it would have been 1st stop (I.e move it or use it), then went forward within 5 seconds and over try line.

It was the right outcome although I'd love to confirm what first advantage was for (going off feet would be my call) - law query - can you be penalised for an attempted collapse? (I think yes, but am not sure).

RemainingInTheGame

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 1
@vimpe22 those crowds look amazing, having just moved to Sydney, I thought the schoolboy crowds were amazing here - but they look even better over there.

I hope those players enjoy the games, and given the engagement and support they have; look forward to seeing Sri Lanka climb into the RWC and hopefully down here in 2027.

Last edited:

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Are we ok with the front pod of the non-throwing team pre-binding into a front row for the ensuing maul?

Mipper

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 10
can't see anything in the laws to prevent it. Never seen it before though
yeah, if that happened in one of my games I would be straight onto the Laws app at half-time

Not Kurt Weaver

Referees in America
Post Likes
can't see anything in the laws to prevent it. Never seen it before though
You know, I had to go to my long term memory. But I think Samoa used a similar tactic on peeling runners from the Welsh line out in '99 world cup. It was an under shoulder bind from the hooker, not above like these. The Samoans would essentially prebind post throw in but well before contact.

Drift

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Are we ok with the front pod of the non-throwing team pre-binding into a front row for the ensuing maul?
Why wouldn’t we be? As long as they don’t go early then it’s fine.

My bigger issue with it is players joining the maul before it’s moved off the LOT.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Why wouldn’t we be?

Well, law18.19 suggests that "pre-gripping" is allowed but only for the purpose of lifting/ supporting. I'd allow it, but interested in others thoughts.

"Players in the lineout who are going to lift or support a team-mate jumping for the ball may pre-grip that team-mate providing they do not grip below the shorts from behind or below the thighs from the front."

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
so the law doesnt rpevent it QED it permits it presumably. ?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Did anyone notice that (in Wales v England) England got penalised for leaving the lineout in preparation for building a maul.
I have never seen this penalised before (although it has been discussed on here). I wonder if the teams were warned about it before the start of the competition, or if it was a rabbit out of the hat for them?

crossref

Referees in England
Post Likes
Did anyone notice that (in Wales v England) England got penalised for leaving the lineout in preparation for building a maul.
I have never seen this penalised before (although it has been discussed on here). I wonder if the teams were warned about it before the start of the competition, or if it was a rabbit out of the hat for them?
i noticed that, and I also noticed that the commentators seemed completely unsurprised, and identified what the FK was for immediately. I concluded that it has been pre-briefed, and that the commentators had seen the briefing.

Dickie E

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
So the old "peeling off" ruse has been scuppered?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
So the old "peeling off" ruse has been scuppered?

I'm waiting to see if it gets penalised again, or was a one off from that particular referee.

didds

Resident Club Coach
Post Likes
not having seen the game, was this a case of a single player peeling from eg #1 to clean a catch at #4? Or 4 players moving to lurk while the throw was still in the air ?

Phil E

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
It was more than one player moving into the receiver position by "peeling off".
I cant remember what the ref said exactly, but it was something like you can't peel off as your not there to receive the ball.

Balones

Referee Advisor / Assessor
Post Likes
It also happened in the other two internationals. It was as if all the refs had got the ‘memo’. Apparently they were going to start penalising this at the last World Cup but never really got round to it. This looks like some pre-warning before this year’s World Cup.
My issue with what was done at this weekend’s games was that the law wasn’t consistently applied. Once the referee had penalised in a game I tried to make mental notes of how the law was applied afterwards. The Irish lineout at 29 minutes, after Italian penalisation, sticks in my mind. There was a lack of consistency in the communication about why there had been penalisation. One ref said you can’t leave (peel) until the ball has been thrown while another penalised for having too many receivers before the throw.
I used to include such incidents in my reports several years ago but was told to ignore it because it was a widely disregarded (by professional game) law and not worth reporting. Perhaps I can now start to include it again?