Medical Elective in Australia - Summer 2014

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
My friend and I are two fourth year medical students at Sheffield University looking to visit Australia for our elective in summer 2014. It is a 7 week placement between 2nd June and 18th July.

We are pretty flexible with where we want to go but have provisionally looked at Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth. Does anyone have any contacts with some hospital doctors in these places?

What are the living costs in these places (rent and travel costs)? What is the best way to travel while in Australia; plane, train, car?

Additionally, does the time period overlap with the club rugby season?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's a very attractive idea as I would like to combine the elective with some rugby if possible.

Thanks, Adam

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
If you can't get Oz buddy I can get you into bury st Edmunds.

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
If you can't get Oz buddy I can get you into bury st Edmunds.
I thought St Edmund had been buried some time ago. It sounds like his preference is for somehting other than the mortuary.

Daftmedic

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
Bring him back as the patron saint of England instead of that Moore(not BCM666). But in all joking aside its an option.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
My friend and I are two fourth year medical students at Sheffield University looking to visit Australia for our elective in summer 2014. It is a 7 week placement between 2nd June and 18th July.

We are pretty flexible with where we want to go but have provisionally looked at Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth. Does anyone have any contacts with some hospital doctors in these places?
Sorry - No. Perth is very isolated with the rest of the cities of Oz....great part of the world but somewhat isolated from most 'touristy' places. Brisbane will have more rugb options and better weather that time of year

What are the living costs in these places (rent and travel costs)? Cheaper than London but all capital cities are expensive to live....especially rent.
What is the best way to travel while in Australia; plane, train, car? All of them...but most of us ride a kangaroo to work.

Additionally, does the time period overlap with the club rugby season? Yes..right in the middle of it all around the country. Rugby is more popular in NSW /QLD so will have more games/options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's a very attractive idea as I would like to combine the elective with some rugby if possible.

Thanks, Adam

Some thoughts in bold.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
I have hospital doctor friends in both Brisbane and Perth.

Be warned, Australia is expensive, expect the equivalent of £7 a pint in the city, £5 a pint in suburbs.

Travel in all cities is best by public transport. Bus, train, tram or ferry.

Sydney's crap for public transport, like London, years of neglect have left them struggling.

Perth trains & buses are good, as are Brisbane's. Melbourne's metro is being upgraded at the moment, so will be better soon, their trams are good too.

Robert Burns

, Referees in Canada, RugbyRefs.com Webmaster
Staff member
Post Likes
That is in the rugby season, so no issues there for wherever you are.

If you want to travel around Australia then you need to do it by plane, if you only want to see the cities, or car if you want to see the outback.

As for rent, hope you are sitting down, expect a room in a house to be anything between the equivalent of £100-£250 A WEEK.

Any other questions?

Adam

Referees in England
Post Likes
That is in the rugby season, so no issues there for wherever you are.

If you want to travel around Australia then you need to do it by plane, if you only want to see the cities, or car if you want to see the outback.

As for rent, hope you are sitting down, expect a room in a house to be anything between the equivalent of £100-£250 A WEEK.

Any other questions?

All this information is really useful, thanks for all your help guys (apart from LLP).

What is the weather generally like in Perth, Melbourne and Brisbane respectively?

How do the RFU levels of L6, L7, L8 transfer over in Australia?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes
L.8 is approximately the level of the international team; work backwards to get to the elvel of provincial and city teams. :biggrin:

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
All this information is really useful, thanks for all your help guys (apart from LLP).

What is the weather generally like in Perth, Melbourne and Brisbane respectively?

Mines the only post with a like on!