Mike Tindall turns out for Level 11 side

KieranW

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 8
Hi all, I've been absent from this site for a while but I'm sure you'll all be delighted to know I'm back!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/29792516

So newly retired HRH Mike Tindall MBE has joined Minchinhampton RFC, who are currently top of Gloucester 3 which is level 11. Imagine what the referee must have thought when he turned up?

Also does this mean he has to wait longer for his nose job? His Grandmother-in-law won't be too happy.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Hi all, I've been absent from this site for a while but I'm sure you'll all be delighted to know I'm back!

So newly retired HRH Mike Tindall MBE has joined Minchinhampton RFC, who are currently top of Gloucester 3 which is level 11. Imagine what the referee must have thought when he turned up?

Also does this mean he has to wait longer for his nose job? His Grandmother-in-law won't be too happy.

Ahem,........Smiths industries are Top ....... http://www.englandrugby.com/fixture...ons/south-west-division/2014-2015/group/18308

Crikey, GAB's won 103-0 the week before !

But seriously, either he holds back, or that could be physically dangerous for his opposite number at that level.

Last edited:

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

Probably the only level where a cart-horse looks fast.

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
It's no wonder that NZ got bounced outta the 2003 tournament by the Wallabies , if you look at their squad it was full of young potentials many of whom reached their potential 8 years later!

I wonder if any of those players (compounded by Tindalls Royal Pension Plan) would venture into the low leagues once they retire from pro rugby 11 years after 2011 ?

I'm pleased for the players getting the opportunity to learn from such an experienced RWC winner.

RobLev

Rugby Expert
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Select Grade
Ahem,........Smiths industries are Top ....... http://www.englandrugby.com/fixture...ons/south-west-division/2014-2015/group/18308

Crikey, GAB's won 103-0 the week before !

Against a side that has scored one unconverted try in 6 games...

(Or it could be a field goal and a safety, of course...).

But seriously, either he holds back, or that could be physically dangerous for his opposite number at that level.

Hardwicke & Quedgeley have a world of pain awaiting on 24 January 2015.

Last edited:

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
It's no wonder that NZ got bounced outta the 2003 tournament by the Wallabies , if you look at their squad it was full of young potentials many of whom reached their potential 8 years later!

I wonder if any of those players (compounded by Tindalls Royal Pension Plan) would venture into the low leagues once they retire from pro rugby 11 years after 2011 ?

I'm pleased for the players getting the opportunity to learn from such an experienced RWC winner.

Hey, given we won't know for some time whether any RWC AB winner will play local league rugby in 2022 (11 years after) can anyone evidence ANY RWC winner 'ever' having done so after such a time?

It matters not which country we evidence, you can go back to 1998 to see whether any of the inaugural Winners were engaged 11 years later if anyone wants to search.

I hope this isnt a mere (pre RWC) grassroots publicity stunt, and he actually sees the season out. I would expect that at L2\3\4 the offers would've flooded in post Glaws pro retirement.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes

In my experience ex-top class players I gave come across both throttle back physically and have such superior skill sets / quicker thinking that they manage contacts on their terms, whether it be at L5 or level 11.

Lee Lifeson-Peart

Referees in England
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 6
I'd guess MT will look a different class at L11 assuming of course that Minchinhampton RFC have gone out and recruited Will Greenwood too.

menace

Referees in Australia
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2
Hey, given we won't know for some time whether any RWC AB winner will play local league rugby in 2022 (11 years after) can anyone evidence ANY RWC winner 'ever' having done so after such a time?

It matters not which country we evidence, you can go back to 1998 to see whether any of the inaugural Winners were engaged 11 years later if anyone wants to search.

I hope this isnt a mere (pre RWC) grassroots publicity stunt, and he actually sees the season out. I would expect that at L2\3\4 the offers would've flooded in post Glaws pro retirement.

Owen Finegan, RWC 1999, was playing on and off in the lower 3/4th grade here up up until a few years ago (while coaching a 1st XV, and is still coaching). Unfortunately his lippy attitude was still as if he were playing for the Wallabies, so it wasn't unusual for him to be shown the YC, and as a coach he's worse. Other notable ex wallabies to be playing locally were Marco Caputo (and coaching), Geoff Didier, and Bernie Larkham. Also isn't unusual for quite a few current Wallabies to pop up and play in the local league during the season.

Ian_Cook

Referees in New Zealand
Staff member
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
Level 2

They are not allowed to.

The lowest they are allowed to go "nationally" to is Heartland Championship (immediately below the ITM Cup Championship) or if they wish to play "Club Rugby" they can play no lower than Senior and Senior Reserve level (about level 4/5 in your parlance)

There is no way that an ex All Black (or any ex-top level professional rugby player) would be permitted to turn out for a 6th grade side (thats about equivalent to your Level 11). The exception to that would be Presidents Grade, but not all provinces have that grade.

You would probably have to understand how NZ Club Rugby works to understand why things are the way they are.

There is a brief description here....

http://www.rugbyrefs.com/showthread.php?8049-New-Zealand&p=86168&viewfull=1#post86168

Accylad

Referees in England
Post Likes
I had thought the legs would last for a while at current level so don't normally look with envy on my colleagues appointments at L11 ........

Our Mr Edwards (a former GB waterpolo player and ex interim chief exec of Scarlets) has Minch on Saturday away to Cainscross. he enjoyed giving me some lip from the touchline last Saturday at my L7 so what a pity I cant go and see him manage Mr T.

At Cainscross you often see both teams sweeping the pitch looking for dog mess I recall.... That will be an interesting experience for him!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
I had thought the legs would last for a while at current level so don't normally look with envy on my colleagues appointments at L11 ........

Our Mr Edwards (a former GB waterpolo player and ex interim chief exec of Scarlets) has Minch on Saturday away to Cainscross. he enjoyed giving me some lip from the touchline last Saturday at my L7 so what a pity I cant go and see him manage Mr T.

At Cainscross you often see both teams sweeping the pitch looking for dog mess I recall.... That will be an interesting experience for him!

get the butler to do it?

- - - Updated - - -

get the butler to do it?

Dixie

Referees in England
Post Likes

While not a winner, Zinzan Brooke was a losing finalist in 1995 and played for Windsor 11 years later, scaring the crap out of all visiting vets teams until his doctor reminded him of the reasons he quit top-class rugby.

colesy

Referees in Scotland
Post Likes
Current Referee grade:
National Panel
Kevin O'Brian, former Irish international who played for the North of England when they beat the All Blacks in 1979, still turns out for Broughton Park 5s.

Simon Thomas

Referees in England
Staff member
Post Likes
Jerry Collins famously turned out for Barnstable 2nd XV a few seasons ago and next match wore their socks as a Barbarian at Twichenham.
John "Bentos" Bentley played fly half for Cleckheaton (I think) for some years.
Various ex - England and Wales props have played for Level 5 clubs like Lyndney and Weston-s-Mare (Duncan Bell and Darren Crompton)
I reffed an ex Irish Intl prop playing for Brighton who destroyed a L7 FR on his own - sorry I forget his name but he was phenomenal.
I played against Stuart Thresher and his brother who were at Sevenoaks RFC at L6 two years after he won his last England B cap. Both were Harlequins 1st XV players.

Going back a few years Alistair McHarg played for Alton at L6 and Derek White for Petersfield at L8.
Alan Wordsworth was playing for Old Whitgiftians only 4 seasons after last playing for England (in 1979 ish)

I am sure others can come up with dozens of similar examples.

Andrew1974

Referees in England
Post Likes
Kevin O'Brian, former Irish international who played for the North of England when they beat the All Blacks in 1979, still turns out for Broughton Park 5s.

The last time I played against Kevin was 3 or 4 years ago, he was at 10, I was playing open side. I didn't manage to tackle him once all game!! Whilst I am sure some of that was down to my ever decreasing pace, most of it was due to his speed in passing the ball almost before he caught it!!

Browner

Banned
Post Likes
Jerry Collins famously turned out for Barnstable 2nd XV a few seasons ago and next match wore their socks as a Barbarian at Twichenham.
John "Bentos" Bentley played fly half for Cleckheaton (I think) for some years.
Various ex - England and Wales props have played for Level 5 clubs like Lyndney and Weston-s-Mare (Duncan Bell and Darren Crompton)
I reffed an ex Irish Intl prop playing for Brighton who destroyed a L7 FR on his own - sorry I forget his name but he was phenomenal.
I played against Stuart Thresher and his brother who were at Sevenoaks RFC at L6 two years after he won his last England B cap. Both were Harlequins 1st XV players.

Going back a few years Alistair McHarg played for Alton at L6 and Derek White for Petersfield at L8.
Alan Wordsworth was playing for Old Whitgiftians only 4 seasons after last playing for England (in 1979 ish)

I am sure others can come up with dozens of similar examples.

All are excellent examples of 'non' World Cup Winners ..........

Perhaps our SH compatriots can find an example , criteria = RWC winner +11yrs on, playing at Level 11 or ( near) , until then MT gets the 'unique' badge.